Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2005, 10:12 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Quote:
Originally Posted by krap101
yeah, i read that rat poison thins the blood? so that means that i didnt get the rat poison? or it takes longer to take effect?
Dude, rat poison is going to be almost wholey dependent on how much you ingest (key word) versus how much you weigh. Unless the degu was named Vlad, was wearing a cape and sucking your finger for a few minutes after the bite, I wouldn't worry too much about it transfering rat poison to you in this manner. You should be more concerned about what else (germs etc) was in it's mouth at the time of the bite. Have you at least put some neosporin on it?

While soy sauce may contain vitamin K, it also contains hypertension, err, I mean craploads of sodium. Even the low sodium is enough to make my blood pressure rise steadily throught the roof. I would suggest finding an alternate source of vitamin K such as...

Spinach, lettuce, kale, cabbage, cauliflower, wheat bran, organ meats, cereals, some fruits, meats, dairy products, and eggs.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:23 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
or something coincidental and completely unrelated
like hypocondria? (spelling?)

Labidochromis caeruleus
Cynotilapia afra 'Cobue'
Pseudotropheus acei 'Msuli Point'
Aulunocara stuartgranti 'chipoka'
Labidochromis freibergi
Oreochromis mossambicus
Etroplus suratensis
Old 09-12-2005, 11:25 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm so sorry to hear about your degu.
Since you were bitten by a pet, you needn't worry too much...I would still clean the wound well and get a tetanus booster.

Now, to try to make something positive come from your horrible experience, I'll say this:

PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE INSECTISIDES OR POISONED RODENT BAIT STATIONS AROUND THE HOUSE IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN, DOGS, CATS, OR SMALL CAGED ANIMALS. IF YOU MUST ADDRESS A PEST PROBLEM, TRY TO USE NON-LETHAL TRAPS, OR AT LEAST MAKE SURE THE ABOVE-MENTIONED CRITTERS ARE KEPT A SAFE DISTANCE FROM THE POISON!
Old 09-12-2005, 11:32 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
LOL QTOFFER! the first thing I thought of is you thinking my children were critters..
sound advice though..
Old 09-12-2005, 11:55 AM   #15
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Quote:
yeah, i read that rat poison thins the blood? so that means that i didnt get the rat poison? or it takes longer to take effect?
Warfarin-based rat poison is a strong anto-coagulant, yes....it kills the rats by causing them to bleed internally to death.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Old 09-12-2005, 11:57 AM   #16
God of primitive fishes

Quote:
ive read that fermented oriental sauces have vitamin k. it is practically the same medicine you get from the doctor, but in a food form instead of a pill or a shot...
That you get for what? Vitamin K injections are not used that often for anything, unless there is symptom of a deficiency....particularly because an excess of vitamin K is quite toxic and has some nasty effects.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:59 AM   #17
God of primitive fishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by deli_conker
While soy sauce may contain vitamin K, it also contains hypertension, err, I mean craploads of sodium. Even the low sodium is enough to make my blood pressure rise steadily throught the roof.
Not to mention that many soy sauces have liberal amounts of MSG in them....something that few people tolerate well at all.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:00 PM   #18
God of primitive fishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFeKt
Quote:
or something coincidental and completely unrelated
like hypocondria? (spelling?)
No....hypochondria is altogether different...it is something that is imagined.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:15 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
most kinds of rat poison make your blood more "watery" and make it so your blood cant clot. vitamin k is the stuff that gives your platelets or whatever the stuff to clot.

vitamin k is the only known cure for rat poison i think.

i have neosporin, but i used this other thing. my mom use to be a pediatrician and has this other stuff. actually 2 other kinds. err 3. hydro cortisone, cortisone 10 and this other one. i used the other one, because my mom usually uses this stuff for cuts and stuff.

well actually my basement is pretty much my room. doesnt have a lock door or anything lol. the pesticide was either in my kitchen, attic, or my parents room. its a good distance away. so... you walk around 30 feet from the cage to the top of the stairs. from there you need to walk to the kitchen (about 25 more feet) or my parens bedroom (closet) which is around 40-50 feet away. if its the attic you need to walk from the kitchen up the stairs down a hallway and thats around 100 feetish. there isnt any rat poison that the degu could have gotten to. there is some where the water heaters and stuff are, which is around 15 feet from the cage, (the door) and inside there might be a few, but the degu couldnt fit under the door.

the degu got out a few times before, and i couldnt figure out how it got out... until now

also, i think i had a late snack a few days ago and the indigestion probally took effect then. and when i felt dizzy it was around 95 degrees out, i had to march outside and blow for around 30 mins. so... i knew that this could of been it, just i didnt want to rule out the poison..
Old 09-12-2005, 08:46 PM   #20
God of primitive fishes

Quote:
most kinds of rat poison make your blood more "watery" and make it so your blood cant clot.
Not really, there are quite a few different poisons used on rats world-wide, and only a couple affect clotting factors.

Quote:
vitamin k is the stuff that gives your platelets or whatever the stuff to clot.

vitamin k is the only known cure for rat poison i think.
Vitamin K is part of treatment, but acute poisonings usually require replacement of plasma and clotting factors (incidentally, I will be donating about a half-litre of platlets in just 16 hours).

Quote:
i have neosporin, but i used this other thing. my mom use to be a pediatrician and has this other stuff. actually 2 other kinds. err 3. hydro cortisone, cortisone 10 and this other one. i used the other one, because my mom usually uses this stuff for cuts and stuff.
Stick with the Neosporin, it is an antibiaotic cream/ointment and will ward off infection...the others are topical steroidal creams and although they can speed hearling, overuse will make the skin permanantly more fragile, plus they have no antibiotic qualities.

Quote:
also, i think i had a late snack a few days ago and the indigestion probally took effect then. and when i felt dizzy it was around 95 degrees out, i had to march outside and blow for around 30 mins. so... i knew that this could of been it, just i didnt want to rule out the poison..
Could have been....you may also have a touch of flu or some such.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com