Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2007, 04:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'll chime in as another RC hobby dude. I fly electric only, but fly both plane and heli. I have a Centrury Hummingbird heli. I believe the ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) kit was just under $200. It's been a pretty solid heli and parts are readily available to me local.

I would check out a Heli sim before you buy anything. It would really be nice if you could get in to planes first, to fully understand the 3D movement. Heli's are typically harder to fly than planes.

If you do have to jump right in and purchase a heli, a Fixed Pitch trainer is probably best as they have less to calibrate and balance. You'll also want to start fairly cheap and with something that hobby shops in your area will carry parts for. Expect to break rotor and tail blades, landing gear, canopies, and probably a tail boom or main shaft at least once... even with training gear.

It's been a LONG time since I've looked at heli's, especially beginner models, but I would say that a Century Hummingbird or GWS Dragonfly would be alright. Also, heli's with the dual rotors are good for starting out. I remember hearing good things about the Air Hogs one.

Here's a forum to check out that should give you more than enough information to get started: http://www.rcgroups.com

Rena Filstar XP2
Pressurized CO2 w/SMS122

29 Gallon Goldfish
4" Red/White Ryunkin
4" Orange Fantail
Penguin 100
AquaClear 20
FMJnaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffz
Folks,
Maybe 20 years ago I bought a RC helicopter kit for $2000. That correct $2000 20 years ago. (that included everything-pitch gauge, starter etc...It was top of the line German Slouter Superior if I recall. Huge model gas powered motor.It was great fun building it. Not being one for video games as a kid--I could not fly it!! Even with its built in Gyro I did not have the patience to ease on the controls--(two sticks).
You have to build a training jig with wiffle balls and dowels.

I recommend going with something cheap that you can replace the blades easy on your first go around!!
Cliff
NY
Hehehe, gassers! Electrics are much cheaper (but still expensive, don't get me wrong), smaller, quieter, and becoming more popular. I can fly my chopper in my living room, in my backyard, in a school gym, at the park, or at the club field. With gassers, you're pretty much limited to designated fields. I don't know if the original poster (ReefRaff) was considering gas-powered at all, but if so, I would think twice.

Rena Filstar XP2
Pressurized CO2 w/SMS122

29 Gallon Goldfish
4" Red/White Ryunkin
4" Orange Fantail
Penguin 100
AquaClear 20
Old 02-23-2007, 09:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Gosh you guys are awsome. I didn't think so many would be into this. I ordered the airhogs one. I also downloaded the demo sims, and am practicing on that. I may also get the storm launcher when spring gets here.
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:39 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

RC Helis

I have flown RC helis for about 7 years and have owned 3 different helis, 1 nitro (fuel) and two electrics. I could answer any questions you might have. Unfortunately I just sold all of my helicopter equiptment (hehe which inevitably funded this hobby) but I am still pretty well versed in the current state of the RC heli market. As someone mentioned electric is starting to become more and more popular (I think he was talking about planes) but for the large helis the fuel burning engines are much cheaper to run and give more power. To get into the hobby even remotely seriously you are going to have to spend around $800-$1000.

I really really liked the T-rex electric that I owned, but I think there might be a newer "hot electric" mini helicopter out.

By the way, the promise land for RC helicopters is www.Runryder.com. The place if friggin great, I learned everything I know from that site. I have also asked questions about anything from Digital cameras to machininging to electronics and found many experts in this areas (people who are interested in rc helicopters are often very technically oriented).

Good places to look in terms of purchasing (aside from all of the places sponsored on Runryder.com)
www.helihobby.com Lot of good electric stuff
Rick's RC helis
www.heliproz.com
Old 04-07-2007, 06:11 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got one of the twin blade ones from radio shack and it was cool for about an hour than broke. I few commercial pilots I know got the cheaper ones that are made with single blades and styrofoam bodies and work much better. HTH
Old 04-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I picked up the Air Hogs "toy" (HavocHeli) to play around with while I was in Las Vegas. I was rather surprised! It flies very well and is pretty much indestructible (my 3 and 5 year olds can fly it).

It runs on 6 AA batteries in the transmitter and a 50mah LiPo battery (included) in the heli. The transmitter hooks up to the heli to charge and takes roughly 10 minutes. Flying lightly, I can get about 8 to 10 minutes of flight. Being an R/C nut, I had a spare 80mah LiPo battery in the shop. I cut away the foam body and was easily able to replace the battery. I still get 8 to 10 minutes of flight (extra weight of the larger battery puts more strain on the motor), but at least I can have one charging and one flying at any given time (save for a 5 minute "cool-down" time).

Overall, it's well worth the $40 from Wal-Mart. I've flown it in my house, garage, back patio, and even in a metal building (works with infa-red technology. Didn't think it would fly well in a metal building). If you are attempting to fly outside, I suggest 0 wind and a large open space. The heli cannot handle even the slightest wind and is prone to losing its IR signal (which prompted a "fly away" without control).
Rena Filstar XP2
Pressurized CO2 w/SMS122

29 Gallon Goldfish
4" Red/White Ryunkin
4" Orange Fantail
Penguin 100
AquaClear 20
Old 05-15-2007, 11:28 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry to dig up an old topic, but I am also interested in RC helis. My wife got me a present...a Walkera 5-4 dragonfly remote heli. She went on the advice of someone she works with. From what I can see, it is a pretty good beginer aircraft. 4 channel remote and a bunch of other stuff I know nothing about yet. I welcome any suggestions or reviews you have on this particular model. When it come to RC helis...I am a complete nooob.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:06 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Neilan wrote
Quote:
the world of RC is currently changing over to electric.
Blasphemy!

I'm one of those die hard fuel guys.

I use the Real Flight G3 simulator. When it comes to a heli. you can't go wrong with a simulator first.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:56 AM   #19
Sliced Bread

I agree, a simulator will save you lots of money in the long run. I use aerofly pro, it's very good as well.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:28 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I tried out my heli tonight for the first time. I was very surprised at how easy it was to fly, right out of the box. I was zipping around the living room chasing the dog in no time. I have not had it outdoors yet to see how it does with some wind. So far so good. It is a lot of fun. If anyone can recommend some good sites on RC helis I would appreciate it.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com