Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2007, 11:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
RC Helicopters

Been interested maybe in a RC helicopter. Anybody into this kind of thing? Some better than others? saw the advertisement on TV for the havocheli. It is like 40 bucks. Wast of money?
TIA.

ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I saw an awesome one today on tv I am going to get next paycheck.

http://www.airhogs.com/ It is called the storm launcher.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

My husband had a helicopter a few years ago but it was a LOT more than $40. I'm thinking it was around $300 or $400.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
Sliced Bread

I fly RC planes, never really got into helicoptors, just my personal preference. However, being in the hobby, I will say that if you're serious about this, those things you get for $40, like the airhogs stuff, are literally cheap plastic toys, and will not seriously get you into the hobby if you really want to do it, and not give you a real idea of what it can be like.

If you are serious, I highly recommend starting on a PC Flight Simulator. Learning the basics in this manner will save you a ton of money for repairs in the long run, TRUST ME. hehe. There are several simulators you can use. And while they appear to be "games", the physics have been mapped tremendously well and they are really an extremely accurate representation of the real thing.

I'd like to point you to a great online forum, such as this one, for the RC hobby. http://www.rcgroups.com can give you all the info you've ever wanted to know, and more!

You should also look for a local club in your area and just go out and meet and talk to them. Nearly all clubs require membership with the AMA (http://www.modelaircraft.org) and their website can help you find local clubs to check out.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Quote:
If you are serious, I highly recommend starting on a PC Flight Simulator. Learning the basics in this manner will save you a ton of money for repairs in the long run, TRUST ME. hehe. There are several simulators you can use. And while they appear to be "games", the physics have been mapped tremendously well and they are reall an extremely accurate representation of the real thing.
I guess that would be a good idea. the one i saw was an airhog product. and the reason I asked of the quality was because of the fact they post all the spare parts right up frt, making me think, How often is it going to breakdown. LOl

Edit. P.s And if the cheap ones run on batteries and only fly 10 min a charge, maybe i should be looking at a fuel powered unit, with and only use batteries for the servo's.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I also fly RC planes. (second hobby) Plenty challenging for me. Helicoptors are much harder to fly, (so I'm told). The one you're looking at is a toy. It may not even fly.

The hobbies are similar, after you get one..... you want another!

I don't know if Neilanh agree's but my planes use up $$$$ faster than my freshwater tanks!
Old 02-23-2007, 08:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Folks,
Maybe 20 years ago I bought a RC helicopter kit for $2000. That correct $2000 20 years ago. (that included everything-pitch gauge, starter etc...It was top of the line German Slouter Superior if I recall. Huge model gas powered motor.It was great fun building it. Not being one for video games as a kid--I could not fly it!! Even with its built in Gyro I did not have the patience to ease on the controls--(two sticks).
You have to build a training jig with wiffle balls and dowels.

I recommend going with something cheap that you can replace the blades easy on your first go around!!
Cliff
NY
Old 02-23-2007, 09:05 AM   #8
Sliced Bread

ReefRaff - the world of RC is currently changing over to electric. While there will always be the die-hard gas/glo guys, that doesn't have to be your choice. With the new technologies of lithium polymer batteries, things are changing very much. However, there are pros and cons to both electric and gas/glo. All of my planes, even my larger scale ones, are all electric. And you'll need to look into the pros and cons and determine what works best for you.

$2000, wow, while I can see that used to be the case, it's no longer the case. You can now get upper end stuff for much less than that, and it is much more widely available now.

And I agree with TwoHobbies - R/C, if you really get into it, can be very expensive. mainly because, just like with fish tanks, who can really have just 1? I have 6 planes. LOL. And just like most hobbies, the main expenses are upfront, and then upkeep isn't too bad.

Let me tell you this now, because I've seen this destroy new pilots that really had potential. And I have no doubt TwoHobbies will agree with me. If you get into this hobby, YOU WILL CRASH, and will it crush you when you happens. If you go into it knowing this fact, you will recover and move on, repair your vehicle and/or buy a new one salvaging what you can, without skipping a beat. If you don't get that in your head, you'll put out an initial investment, and when it happens, it can discourage you to the point of quitting.

Good Luck! R/C can be a very rewarding hobby, it houses a great group of people, and the possibilties are endless. Some people like to fly, some people like to build, some to design. There's many many aspects to the hobby.

Now, speaking of all this, I have 2 planes I wrecked last fall that I need to get put back together now that spring is rolling around. LOL
Old 02-23-2007, 11:39 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanks for all your help guy's. I will stop at the hobby shop and see what they have before buying off the net.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:55 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

I've also been into RC planes for quite a while. Or at least I was. I haven't flown in a few years but my wife gave me a kit for a new plane this christmas. She has no idea the trouble she's started by getting me back into the hobby lol!

I've also always been very interested in doing helicopters. They are considerably more difficult to control. I downloaded a demo of an RC simulator and if you're not accustomed to controling things via RC you can expect your first few flights to be... rough. And if you're attempting them with a real vehicle it will also be very expensive.

Here's a couple links you might find helpful:
Demo version of an RC Flight sim. Includes 1 plane and 1 helicopter:
http://www.realflight.com/free-g3-demo.html

A ready to fly RC helicopter i've been considering for a while. includes it all, motor, batteries, radio and flies out of the box. $200
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...ax/hmxe04.html

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com