Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

To me, it's not so much that the Bettas were eaten, but that these kids are getting their kicks from torturing animals. This kind of attitude spreads.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Newbie

So if they had thrown in a bunch of live bloodworm and laughed, you would be mad?
Serial killers in the making!..

I fail to see the torture part, they fed a fish another fish.. saw the oscars hunt, and were exited about it, just as excited as lizards owners are when they see their lizard hunt down a grasshopper. Just like people are excited when they see a lion hunt a zebra, just as excited as a fisherman who uses a live minnow to catch a pike..

Torture is putting a betta in a 1G bowl and keep it alive, lots of adults do it..

Old 01-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by asgard View Post
What if.. they were feeding fish live bloodworms/maggots/fruitflies or so?
But they weren't...... you really can't play "what if" in a case like this. It's not what might have happened, it's what did happen.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
Old 01-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Newbie

So in your opinion bloodworms would be "ok" but a betta isn't.
What's wrong with feeding a fish another fish?
Old 01-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by asgard
So if they had thrown in a bunch of live bloodworm and laughed, you would be mad?
Serial killers in the making!..

I fail to see the torture part, they fed a fish another fish.. saw the oscars hunt, and were exited about it, just as excited as lizards owners are when they see their lizard hunt down a grasshopper. Just like people are excited when they see a lion hunt a zebra, just as excited as a fisherman who uses a live minnow to catch a pike..

Torture is putting a betta in a 1G bowl and keep it alive, lots of adults do it..
Ok you sir are right I guess they were just feeding the one but this is why pet stores generally feed before open to avoid this kind of controversy
Old 01-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

Thread has been cleaned up! AA will not support discussions of taking advantage of vendors, pro beating someone up, etc. Thread is already boarderline, so please keep comments on topic and appropriate. Any further inappropriate comments will result in thread being closed and moved out of the public eye.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Old 01-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

I didn't want nor had any intention for the thread to get out of line. Feeding other fish oscars etc "feeder fish" is one thing. But bettas in my eye is crossing the line. And it for our enjoyment!!

Disgusting behavior and I WILL be heading there around 3:00 today. I'll keep you posted. And the comment about my son and the tank will NOT go unaddressed as well!!

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 01-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

At our LFS a young employee took a dead crayfish and fed it to a HUGE goby and it was awesome! But the crayfish was dead. We werent feeding it just for enjoyment. Not that feeding a fish to another fish is necessarily bad. God made these fish to do what they do and the sight a fish eating another fish can be really cool and awe inspiring! But to repeatedly drop fish in with another fish to watch them killed and maybe maybe not get eaten is wrong. If the fish actually ate it and they only did it once, fine. But numerous times just to watch it die? No.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I've no intension of letting this discussion getting out of line, closed or anything of that matter, nor to bash anyone's feelings or intensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFan View Post
At our LFS a young employee took a dead crayfish and fed it to a HUGE goby and it was awesome! But the crayfish was dead.
But would't have been bad if the crayfish was alive?

Quote:
We werent feeding it just for enjoyment. Not that feeding a fish to another fish is necessarily bad. God made these fish to do what they do and the sight a fish eating another fish can be really cool and awe inspiring!
I agree there, but watching it on the Nat. Geo channel is fine, but watching it at your LFS is not?

Quote:
But to repeatedly drop fish in with another fish to watch them killed and maybe maybe not get eaten is wrong. If the fish actually ate it and they only did it once, fine.
So if a fish in nature catches another fish it's "ok", but once cought and confined to an aquarium it not only loses it's right to swim free, but also it's right to eat live bait. We will decide what it'll eat, frozen, dried or dead food, live food is a no-no.

Quote:
But numerous times just to watch it die? No.
Just to watch it die is sick IMO, wether it be bloodworm or fish. But would anyone complain to a manager if they were throwing in bloodworm or maggots, just to watch them die?

But then again, were they watching a betta die, or were they watching an oscar hunt?
There is a fine line....
Old 01-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by asgard View Post
I've no intension of letting this discussion getting out of line, closed or anything of that matter, nor to bash anyone's feelings or intensions.

But would't have been bad if the crayfish was alive?

I agree there, but watching it on the Nat. Geo channel is fine, but watching it at your LFS is not?

So if a fish in nature catches another fish it's "ok", but once cought and confined to an aquarium it not only loses it's right to swim free, but also it's right to eat live bait. We will decide what it'll eat, frozen, dried or dead food, live food is a no-no.

Just to watch it die is sick IMO, wether it be bloodworm or fish. But would anyone complain to a manager if they were throwing in bloodworm or maggots, just to watch them die?

But then again, were they watching a betta die, or were they watching an oscar hunt?
There is a fine line....
There are a couple moral problems here. Killing an animal to kill it is wrong. Period. Stealing from your employer to watch it die is wrong (stealing from your employer period but just emphasizing) I will be feeding my scarlet badis live shrimplets (not intentionlly but Im not even wanting to try and stop it. I agree with you but at the same time I disagree. Live food IMO is ok. Without some fish could not live healthy in aquaria. Is it fun to watch your fish hunt? Yes. But being cruel is diferent. Enjoy watching your fish hunt when it is time to feed them. Not whenever you feel like watching it. These kids were being cruel. Period.

Closed Thread

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com