Really ticked off!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, it's not so much that the Bettas were eaten, but that these kids are getting their kicks from torturing animals. This kind of attitude spreads.

So if they had thrown in a bunch of live bloodworm and laughed, you would be mad?
Serial killers in the making!..

I fail to see the torture part, they fed a fish another fish.. saw the oscars hunt, and were exited about it, just as excited as lizards owners are when they see their lizard hunt down a grasshopper. Just like people are excited when they see a lion hunt a zebra, just as excited as a fisherman who uses a live minnow to catch a pike..

Torture is putting a betta in a 1G bowl and keep it alive, lots of adults do it..

Last edited by a moderator:
What if.. they were feeding fish live bloodworms/maggots/fruitflies or so?

But they weren't...... you really can't play "what if" in a case like this. It's not what might have happened, it's what did happen.

So in your opinion bloodworms would be "ok" but a betta isn't.
What's wrong with feeding a fish another fish?

asgard said:
So if they had thrown in a bunch of live bloodworm and laughed, you would be mad?
Serial killers in the making!..

I fail to see the torture part, they fed a fish another fish.. saw the oscars hunt, and were exited about it, just as excited as lizards owners are when they see their lizard hunt down a grasshopper. Just like people are excited when they see a lion hunt a zebra, just as excited as a fisherman who uses a live minnow to catch a pike..

Torture is putting a betta in a 1G bowl and keep it alive, lots of adults do it..

Ok you sir are right I guess they were just feeding the one but this is why pet stores generally feed before open to avoid this kind of controversy

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread has been cleaned up! AA will not support discussions of taking advantage of vendors, pro beating someone up, etc. Thread is already boarderline, so please keep comments on topic and appropriate. Any further inappropriate comments will result in thread being closed and moved out of the public eye.

I didn't want nor had any intention for the thread to get out of line. Feeding other fish oscars etc "feeder fish" is one thing. But bettas in my eye is crossing the line. And it for our enjoyment!!

Disgusting behavior and I WILL be heading there around 3:00 today. I'll keep you posted. And the comment about my son and the tank will NOT go unaddressed as well!!

At our LFS a young employee took a dead crayfish and fed it to a HUGE goby and it was awesome! But the crayfish was dead. We werent feeding it just for enjoyment. Not that feeding a fish to another fish is necessarily bad. God made these fish to do what they do and the sight a fish eating another fish can be really cool and awe inspiring! But to repeatedly drop fish in with another fish to watch them killed and maybe maybe not get eaten is wrong. If the fish actually ate it and they only did it once, fine. But numerous times just to watch it die? No.

I've no intension of letting this discussion getting out of line, closed or anything of that matter, nor to bash anyone's feelings or intensions.

At our LFS a young employee took a dead crayfish and fed it to a HUGE goby and it was awesome! But the crayfish was dead.
But would't have been bad if the crayfish was alive?

We werent feeding it just for enjoyment. Not that feeding a fish to another fish is necessarily bad. God made these fish to do what they do and the sight a fish eating another fish can be really cool and awe inspiring!
I agree there, but watching it on the Nat. Geo channel is fine, but watching it at your LFS is not?

But to repeatedly drop fish in with another fish to watch them killed and maybe maybe not get eaten is wrong. If the fish actually ate it and they only did it once, fine.
So if a fish in nature catches another fish it's "ok", but once cought and confined to an aquarium it not only loses it's right to swim free, but also it's right to eat live bait. We will decide what it'll eat, frozen, dried or dead food, live food is a no-no.

But numerous times just to watch it die? No.
Just to watch it die is sick IMO, wether it be bloodworm or fish. But would anyone complain to a manager if they were throwing in bloodworm or maggots, just to watch them die?

But then again, were they watching a betta die, or were they watching an oscar hunt?
There is a fine line....

I've no intension of letting this discussion getting out of line, closed or anything of that matter, nor to bash anyone's feelings or intensions.

But would't have been bad if the crayfish was alive?

I agree there, but watching it on the Nat. Geo channel is fine, but watching it at your LFS is not?

So if a fish in nature catches another fish it's "ok", but once cought and confined to an aquarium it not only loses it's right to swim free, but also it's right to eat live bait. We will decide what it'll eat, frozen, dried or dead food, live food is a no-no.

Just to watch it die is sick IMO, wether it be bloodworm or fish. But would anyone complain to a manager if they were throwing in bloodworm or maggots, just to watch them die?

But then again, were they watching a betta die, or were they watching an oscar hunt?
There is a fine line....
There are a couple moral problems here. Killing an animal to kill it is wrong. Period. Stealing from your employer to watch it die is wrong (stealing from your employer period but just emphasizing) I will be feeding my scarlet badis live shrimplets (not intentionlly but Im not even wanting to try and stop it. I agree with you but at the same time I disagree. Live food IMO is ok. Without some fish could not live healthy in aquaria. Is it fun to watch your fish hunt? Yes. But being cruel is diferent. Enjoy watching your fish hunt when it is time to feed them. Not whenever you feel like watching it. These kids were being cruel. Period.

What a crappy boss. Those fish are like $5 and he didnt even make him pay for it.

I actually agree that its not bad to feed them live fish but i dont like punk kids who have no respect just doing it for fun.

What a crappy boss. Those fish are like $5 and he didnt even make him pay for it.

I actually agree that its not bad to feed them live fish but i dont like punk kids who have no respect just doing it for fun.
I agree! Wheres the like button....

There are a couple moral problems here. Killing an animal to kill it is wrong. Period. Stealing from your employer to watch it die is wrong (stealing from your employer period but just emphasizing) I will be feeding my scarlet badis live shrimplets (not intentionlly but Im not even wanting to try and stop it. I agree with you but at the same time I disagree. Live food IMO is ok. Without some fish could not live healthy in aquaria. Is it fun to watch your fish hunt? Yes. But being cruel is diferent. Enjoy watching your fish hunt when it is time to feed them. Not whenever you feel like watching it. These kids were being cruel. Period.

I couldn't agree with you more GodFan! These kids weren't wrong so much because they were feeding live food. However, they were stealing and costing the store around $5 for every fish they tortured. They weren't feeding the Oscar(s) as much as they were enjoying a horribly twisted fish brawl. That is the difference between feeding and enjoying the torture of an animal. If I had an Oscar or any other predatory fish I would feed it something cheap like Ghost Shrimp, Feeder Fish, etc. Things that are raised to be used as food, just like bloodworms which were mentioned earlier. There is a clear line between feeding and enjoying the death of another animal, and stealing is just plain wrong.

Let us know how things work out Convict.

I couldn't agree with you more GodFan! These kids weren't wrong so much because they were feeding live food. However, they were stealing and costing the store around $5 for every fish they tortured. They weren't feeding the Oscar(s) as much as they were enjoying a horribly twisted fish brawl. That is the difference between feeding and enjoying the torture of an animal. If I had an Oscar or any other predatory fish I would feed it something cheap like Ghost Shrimp, Feeder Fish, etc. Things that are raised to be used as food, just like bloodworms which were mentioned earlier. There is a clear line between feeding and enjoying the death of another animal, and stealing is just plain wrong.

Let us know how things work out Convict.
I will admit, my scarlets will be eating red cherry shrimplets. They are breeding in my tank and when I add the scarlets I know they will enjoy the treat. But I am not killing them for enjoyment. The fish will eat them as they feel like it. I am going to provide hiding spots for the shrimplets as well.

I do want to know how this goes. I think the kid should have to pay for each betta plus shipping to get more delivered and interest for the money the store is losing in oportunity cost. Not sure if you cando that legally but it is what SHOULD be done.

If I had an Oscar or any other predatory fish I would feed it something cheap like Ghost Shrimp, Feeder Fish, etc. Things that are raised to be used as food, just like bloodworms which were mentioned earlier..
I agree, those kids more then likely had cruel intensions and no intensions of just feeding a fish and they could have asked permission if that was the case.

But why I react(ed) and the part I don't understand, so it's "ok" to sacrifice a cheap ugly feeder fish, but when it's a nice betta OMG! IMO, if you accept a feeder fish as food, you MUST accept a betta as food, ALL creatures have a right to live, not just the beautiful ones.
"Things that are raised to be used as food" rrright... things.. Now what if I raise betta things as food, It would be "ok" then?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom