Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2015, 06:22 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fond memories !

Old 07-18-2015, 06:55 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Out here in Denver I have 1 Old school LFS that has been open for about 30 years now that looks like time froze in the late 80s. Under gravel filters only in the whole store but their reef tanks. On all of their fish only tanks they use under gravel filters! Still cary De-chlor that only gets rid of chlorine (before chloramines were common). They have a cockatiel named simon and the owners work the shop by themselves with 3 other employees that have been there since I was 7. Every time you come in everyone knows your name... Special place. It will forever hold a fond memory in my heart. Its where me and my neighbor discovered fish keeping and it has made countless memories. Another store that has existed since the early 70s downtown on south broadway just went out. You could tell they were hanging on by a thread in the last year but I think time finally ran out. They are selling everything in the store, tanks and all and the place is getting boarded up. I hate to see this happen and its the very reason I pay a premium for my dry goods at Neptunes Tropical Fish instead of go to a Big Box and get them for a bargain. Great quality stock is a tough thing to come by and they're keeping the flame alive here in Denver so I support them with all of my purchases and will try to keep them around for another 30 years! I just don't think you can put a price tag on the feel and warmth of a neighborhood shop like the LFSs we're talking about.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:56 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Remember ?

I remember about 15 yrs ago, 1 of the lfs in my area had a 3ft saltwater croc, the shop is still there ( i bought 5 pink corys from there 2 weeks ago) but the croc is long gone
Old 07-18-2015, 07:07 PM   #34

You ever are down in California check out p & p tropical fish in cypress they have been there for over 30 years husband and wife owners, they need support.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I am sure I am dating myself now, but does anyone remember using glass wool and charcoal for filter material? the glass wool was like wool fiber, but was actually made from glass and could cut you. My Dad was the one who had the tank and had to be so careful rinsing it out. By the way, he rinsed it out under the running water in the sink. In those days no one knew about washing away the BB.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:28 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
Out here in Denver I have 1 Old school LFS that has been open for about 30 years now that looks like time froze in the late 80s. Under gravel filters only in the whole store but their reef tanks. On all of their fish only tanks they use under gravel filters! Still cary De-chlor that only gets rid of chlorine (before chloramines were common). They have a cockatiel named simon and the owners work the shop by themselves with 3 other employees that have been there since I was 7. Every time you come in everyone knows your name... Special place. It will forever hold a fond memory in my heart. Its where me and my neighbor discovered fish keeping and it has made countless memories. Another store that has existed since the early 70s downtown on south broadway just went out. You could tell they were hanging on by a thread in the last year but I think time finally ran out. They are selling everything in the store, tanks and all and the place is getting boarded up. I hate to see this happen and its the very reason I pay a premium for my dry goods at Neptunes Tropical Fish instead of go to a Big Box and get them for a bargain. Great quality stock is a tough thing to come by and they're keeping the flame alive here in Denver so I support them with all of my purchases and will try to keep them around for another 30 years! I just don't think you can put a price tag on the feel and warmth of a neighborhood shop like the LFSs we're talking about.
Count your blessings. Not all of us are that fortunate. I went to 2 special stores like that as a youth. They closed years ago. Now we have 2 big box stores which have fish & fish supplies, along with all manner of other pets & equipment. All glit & glamour, but no warmth or personality.

I remember those 2 stores so fondly. I can't begin to describe the feeling I had when I entered. ( a bell that jingled when the door opened, a welcoming smile as they greeted me by name,a small wall of aquariums full of fish , corner filters, plants both planted & floating, all manner of equipment & " that smell. " It can't be described. Only those who experienced this will know what I mean. I was like a kid in a candy store. There was never enough money to fulfil my dreams. There still isn't.

So blessed in " The Mile High City !"
Old 07-18-2015, 07:46 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Activist

Dating Yourself ? NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by biondoa View Post
Well I am sure I am dating myself now, but does anyone remember using glass wool and charcoal for filter material? the glass wool was like wool fiber, but was actually made from glass and could cut you. My Dad was the one who had the tank and had to be so careful rinsing it out. By the way, he rinsed it out under the running water in the sink. In those days no one knew about washing away the BB.
No, you are not dating yourself. If you are, so am I. I cut myself many times on that glass wool. Sometimes, when it got dirty, I would rinse it under the water & sometimes I would throw it out & replace it with new stuff.

I'd fill my 10 gallon with water & bring it up to temperature. The next day, I'd get my fish, float the bag for 15 minutes & pour them out.

Cycling was something you did on your bicycle.

I can't remember how many fish I lost.

I'm not saying our hobby hasn't progressed. Of course it has. But it wouldn't be where it is if not for "the good ole days."
Old 07-18-2015, 08:18 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Activist

You are so right! Cheers to the past. And the memories.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:41 PM   #39

Waiting for the cheers theme song to que in lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-18-2015, 09:08 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Activist

Perhaps better to have Bob Hope's " Thanks for the Memories". Anyway, this was very nice. And please don't say who was Bob Hope.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com