Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2015, 09:19 PM   #41

Hey oooooooo!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-18-2015, 09:42 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by biondoa View Post
Well I am sure I am dating myself now, but does anyone remember using glass wool and charcoal for filter material?
Well, if you are going to go there, , I can't resist adding 1 more... ( for now ) My first fish came home with me in a cardboard container, the kind you get take out Chinese food in.) There were no plastic bags for fish back then. Now THAT'S old!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
.... I just don't think you can put a price tag on the feel and warmth of a neighborhood shop like the LFSs we're talking about.
+1 million and an AMEN to that. Well said!

Old 07-19-2015, 08:58 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Activist

Got Me There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
Well, if you are going to go there, , I can't resist adding 1 more... ( for now ) My first fish came home with me in a cardboard container, the kind you get take out Chinese food in.) There were no plastic bags for fish back then. Now THAT'S old!!!

+1 million and an AMEN to that. Well said!
Got me there, Andy. Never took fish home in a cardboard container. I've seen it done with birds, but not fish. Thanks for that bit of history.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:02 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Activist

I want to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart. I enjoy reminiscing & hope to hear much more.
You are all very special people.
It has been my privilege to meet & share with you.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:55 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata View Post
Got me there, Andy. Never took fish home in a cardboard container. I've seen it done with birds, but not fish. Thanks for that bit of history.
I would feel old and dated if I hadn't started keeping fish when I was really young. But I have books describing the transportation of tropical aquarium fish in containers such as the metal milk cans which goes back WAYYYYYYY before my time. It does show you just how far the hobby has come in these past 50 some years.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:04 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just went to one of the chain pet stores that has birds, dogs, cats, etc. All I can say is that their selection of fish was absolutely awful. Oh how I wish there was a mom and pop fish store near where I live.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm 42 years old, and this made me remember when I was around 8. My father would take me to "Beavers Fish shop" in town. He had a small building outside next to his home. I bet he had probably four dozen small aquariums. My Dad bought me a ten gallon and we stocked it with lots of plants and neon tetras and a couple of Cory cats. Every time I went there (which seems like It was every weekend) I left nose prints on every tank he had. I remember he was a very nice older man. Man, I miss shops like that!

Old 07-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Activist

A Baby ( lol )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter73 View Post
I'm 42 years old, and this made me remember when I was around 8. My father would take me to "Beavers Fish shop" in town. He had a small building outside next to his home. I bet he had probably four dozen small aquariums. My Dad bought me a ten gallon and we stocked it with lots of plants and neon tetras and a couple of Cory cats. Every time I went there (which seems like It was every weekend) I left nose prints on every tank he had. I remember he was a very nice older man. Man, I miss shops like that!

42 y/o. You're a baby. My oldest daughter is 39.

It is great that guys your age can have these fantastic memories.

Wonderful of your dad to allow you to begin fish keeping.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:23 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Does anyone remember Martin's Aquarium in Jenkintown, Pa? They sold anything. I think I remember squirrel monkeys for sale there. They would feed the snakes live mice while people watched.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

What a great thread!
Thanks to all who shared.
The smell,the odd creatures(some of my old LFS had monkeys and snakes and exoctics also!).
I do remember the boxes Andy(although I had forgot!).
I wish I had kept my original metaframe 29 g slate bottom.
Back then when I was young, you may have only had one hobby and for that the reward could be great!.
I have been blessed to have a"father and son" LFS that although moving 4 times in last 35-40 years is still run by the surviving son today.
They are my #1 LFS of all time.
It is nice to know fish history and have fish history.
I remember the first "submersible " heaters as I did not have any !
We sure can't go back and there is some good in the new(good luck finding out about it), but is nice to remember when......
Thanks all!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com