Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2015, 11:22 AM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata View Post
Never had one. Even in a goldfish tank with a high bioload ?
Sure. The only reason why undergravel filters can be an issue is due to poor housekeeping.
Using a gravel vac so remove muck and every couple months siphoning water from under the plate will keep it clean and working indefinitely.

but if memory serves we also had a canister filter on the 40 gallon who kept fancy goldfish in simply because they poop so much.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
Many of my early fish keeping memories mimic Andy's, probably because we are both old farts....LOL
Yeah, I guess I've been farting for a long time now.

As for P&P, I've seen that look before. It's sad when you know the owner or you have a history with the store. You want to do whatever you can to keep it going but it's not really yours to do. It's an attitude thing and owners don't always want to adjust theirs. It's sad but maybe, if someone with a good attitude and knowledge offers the right price, the store will come under new management and thrive again. I've seen that happen too.

As for Bichir Bro, 15? I have shoes older than you!! But seriously, that's about the age when I started to really get involved in the pet "business". I had been breeding fish for just the one store before then but at that age, I was doing so much that we were wholesaling to other stores and to other suppliers. Once I moved to FL at 16, I was on tract to becoming a veterinarian but I was lured into the pet trade by the excitement and opportunities. You could wind up in the same situation if you keep at it. As I see it, the pet business needs young dedicated minds to keep things from getting too ridiculous. You may just be the leader.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:51 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

in all fairness to P&P, if you live in the area and are into South American and African cichlids or fancy goldfish, he is one definitely one of the places locally to check out.
He has nice cichlids and actually competitive pricing on the African cichlids.
He also seems to be able to get his hands on some nice rare freshwater specimens from time to time.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:58 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Activist

I know what you mean about the shoes.
There are many young people here.
Young people have memories to share & time to make more.
They will carry on the legacy.
I love having them here.
This is where they can learn & maybe give us a nudge into the 21st century.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:14 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Activist

Jealous

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
in all fairness to P&P, if you live in the area and are into South American and African cichlids or fancy goldfish, he is one definitely one of the places locally to check out.
He has nice cichlids and actually competitive pricing on the African cichlids.
He also seems to be able to get his hands on some nice rare freshwater specimens from time to time.
Now STOP IT GUYS !!!
You are making me jealous.
Nothing like that around here.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:20 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I love having them here.
This has got to be a better thing to do than watching or playing video games all day. No?
The only way I know how to learn this hobby is by getting your hands wet. Literally wet! You have to join the "Wet Arm" society! Just make sure there is no soap residue on you.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I love having them here.
I've read this whole thread. I'm young enough to remember the mom n pop shops still local in the early 90's(I'm 24). Perhaps my best friends parents' owning one of these shops through 2004(since 1979) taints my memory with wonderful feelings of separate tanks not on a central feed and welcoming faces. Ive had the luxury of one such store remaining near me but in the same time I've watched 3 others go under in the same timeframe. Its unfortunate, though some of their demise was brought on by similar conditions as PB mentioned. The store that stayed open evolved somewhat with the times, despite the downsides that came with it. Much of their stock mirrors Petco, this is by design unfortunately.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:08 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Activist

Good for You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
This has got to be a better thing to do than watching or playing video games all day. No?
The only way I know how to learn this hobby is by getting your hands wet. Literally wet! You have to join the "Wet Arm" society! Just make sure there is no soap residue on you.
Great attitude. Better than some adults I know.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:33 AM   #69
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Not sure if it has come up but sea monkeys - did anyone get them? I can dimly remember sending in an order off a comic book back page but we never managed to get it going right.

Unfortunately too young for slate bottom tanks - that sounds cool.

Otherwise all I needed to know was how many miles of air tubing was needed to run ornaments and filters (ugf, corner filter of carbon and wool and a high tech hob that I was very proud of the way air pumps could shift water around).

Although the tank water still tastes the same if you accidentally get a mouthful...
Old 07-22-2015, 02:45 AM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sea monkeys are just brine shrimp. I've referred people to Toys 'R Us to pick them up for feeding fry in recent days lol

Jesse

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com