Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2015, 03:12 AM   #71
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Remember ?

The grand old days of marketing

I wonder if a startup product would get away with that now - especially the pics!

Old 07-22-2015, 03:43 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just read all the posts. Great thread . I am 69 so I remember all those things . got my first fish tank at age 9. A 10 gal with guppies... Here's to the good old days. Alison

Old 07-22-2015, 03:51 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Freak

We had a great store in town back maybe 40 years ago. I always had fish growing up and remember that place like it was yesterday. Old creaky wooden floors ( not sure how they didn't end up in the basement ) , metal frames on the tanks , old belt driven external filters with what looked like a large mason jar for the filter media and was run by a little white haired old lady named Mary.
Glad I saw this thread , really brings back some fun memories.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:53 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba dude View Post
We had a great store in town back maybe 40 years ago. I always had fish growing up and remember that place like it was yesterday. Old creaky wooden floors ( not sure how they didn't end up in the basement ) , metal frames on the tanks , old belt driven external filters with what looked like a large mason jar for the filter media and was run by a little white haired old lady named Mary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba dude View Post
Glad I started this thread. So many marvelous memories.
It is good to look back & appreciate how far we have come. Some advances are great, others, not so much.
I remember fish stores much like you describe.
The water in the tanks might not have been clear & pristine, but it smelled good & the fish were healthy.
It was magical.
Don't get that in the big box stores. Unfortunately, that is all that is left here.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:14 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Not sure if it has come up but sea monkeys - did anyone get them? I can dimly remember sending in an order off a comic book back page but we never managed to get it going right.

Unfortunately too young for slate bottom tanks - that sounds cool.

Otherwise all I needed to know was how many miles of air tubing was needed to run ornaments and filters (ugf, corner filter of carbon and wool and a high tech hob that I was very proud of the way air pumps could shift water around).

Although the tank water still tastes the same if you accidentally get a mouthful...
Never had the Sea Monkeys, but I sure wanted some. I also remember slate bottom aquariums. We had them in more than one of my grade school classrooms.

What I had is a dime store goldfish in a dime store 1/2 gallon glass fish bowl. I was a kid and I really didn't know any better at the time. I did as my mother told me on goldfish care. We used mother of pearl "gravel" in the bottom. Cleaning the fishbowl involved dish detergent, rinsing well, and refilling with non dechlorinated city water straight from the tap. Poor Bobby lived for 8 years. Looking back, I don't know how. Not everything about the good old days was good.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:19 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coryluv View Post
Never had the Sea Monkeys, but I sure wanted some. I also remember slate bottom aquariums. We had them in more than one of my grade school classrooms.

What I had is a dime store goldfish in a dime store 1/2 gallon glass fish bowl. I was a kid and I really didn't know any better at the time. I did as my mother told me on goldfish care. We used mother of pearl "gravel" in the bottom. Cleaning the fishbowl involved dish detergent, rinsing well, and refilling with non dechlorinated city water straight from the tap. Poor Bobby lived for 8 years. Looking back, I don't know how. Not everything about the good old days was good.
I would fill my aquarium & heat the water. The next day I picked up my fish, floated the bag for 15 minutes & put them in. If memory serves me, I don't remember losing many ( if any ) fish. Mine were lost mainly to fighting among the inhabitants.

You say, looking back, you don't know how he survived, but..................... he did.

Those were the days when cycling meant going for a bike ride.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:12 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh yeah , I forgot about sea monkeys ; another blast from the past.
I also remember in elementary school reading a book for a book report or some kind of assignment called " Gallons of Guppies' , it was about a kid that had bought a couple guppies and they kept multiplying and if I remember correctly he started a little business selling them.

Ahhh , the good ole days!
Old 07-23-2015, 09:58 AM   #78
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had an experience with guppies !
Never again unless I go with all males.
I can't remember if @ one time they sold miniature seahorses.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:19 AM   #79
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Speaking of guppies in the good old days, I've been doing some web based research on the subject. Take a look at these.

Downloads | wildguppies.com
Old 07-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #80
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coryluv View Post
Speaking of guppies in the good old days, I've been doing some web based research on the subject. Take a look at these.

Downloads | wildguppies.com
I have some of the old books from when I was growing up , have to look and see what they are. I do recall having a big hardcover book that was mostly yellow with a section of colored pictures in the middle of the book of different species of fish , back in the day it was the go to book for any questions you might have had.
Long before the computer days were even a thought.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com