Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2005, 09:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

removing old caulk

I was in the middle of cleaning my bathroom when I decided that the caulking around my tub was looking bad. So I went and got a razor blade and I am now in the middle of trying to get all this old caulk up. I think I am in over my head. I didn't think it would take this long to remove it. Is there an easier way to get this stuff up, other than scraping. I tried to grab a piece and pull it up, but it just snaps off.

Old 07-23-2005, 10:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here is some info. None of it good news, I'm afraid.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/printer..._Removal.shtml

http://www.homeplot.com/archive/index.php/t-28306.html

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
Old 07-23-2005, 10:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Grab a piece and pull gently. As you do, slide the blade down right near where the piece you are pulling meets the wall and slice away at the connection from the inside(from against the wall).
Old 07-23-2005, 10:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also remember that the cutting power of a razor blade comes from the slicing motion. They are almost useless if you just push the blade straight on.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Andos99
They sell little caulk removers from hardware stores. They are made of hard plastic and only cost a buck or two. You basically just use the pointed end and push along the caulk line and it comes up pretty easy. I just re-did my shower about a month ago......it's no fun, but looks great when you're done!!
Old 07-23-2005, 11:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ah, I am going to look into that tool. I finished around the tub. It was a PAIN but it looks much better. What made it worse is who ever put the tub in, got glue all over the side of the tub and some glopped partly onto the flooring.
Anyway, thanks for the tips, they will come in handy as I still have my shower to do

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com