reporting a fish shop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laur94x

Aquarium Advice Freak
There's a shop near me and everytime I go in there I am absolutely disgusted. There's always soooo many dead fish which have clearly been there for ages, everything has ich and fungal diseases and yesterday I saw 3 pretty large black ghost knife fish squashed into the same tank which wasn't even 10 gallons, they could barely move at all. When I said to one of the workers yesterday 'you might want to check your tanks, there's so many dead fish in them' (I'm talking between 1 and 3 in nearly every tank) he said 'oh well I'm not sorting that, someone else can' and then said its because the fish get stressed, I understand that but this is ridiculous. There was a pretty big blood covered dead angelfish which looked like itd been there for some time, not nice for my 2 year old daughter to see :/ and everything else is always dead or eating eachother. I was in there before and saw these 2 medium sized species mixed in a small tank, not sure what they were but the slightly bigger one was completely killing the others so I told a worker and he said 'oh well, bit late now' am I over reacting because I want to report the bastards?? I never buy fish in there, my friend has and they die very quickly, but we sometimes go to have a look because they have more of a selection. They have a tank which must be about 200 litres maximum with atleast 12 big full grown fancy goldfish and they all just lay head down at the bottom allday, its horrible.

How would I go about reporting it for something? I'm in the UK. I understand fish die, especially in the stress of pet shops but this is cruel :(
Sorry for the rant

Its horrible isn't it :( I just don't understand it, if you don't care about animals then don't work in a pet shop. I have a proper rant at them everytime I go in there but they just don't care

That's very sad. Why would they want to go through the trouble of getting the fish if they aren't going to take care of them long enough to sell them?

If they took alittle more care they might sell more fish.. Anyone who knows anything wouldnt buy fish from such an establishment, as much as i would want to help/save the fish, you dont know what youre bringing home.

If they took alittle more care they might sell more fish.. Anyone who knows anything wouldnt buy fish from such an establishment, as much as i would want to help/save the fish, you dont know what youre bringing home.

This is true. Only way I would do that was if I had a quarantine tank and keep the fish in it for a while. There's times I want to save [store name removed] fish, but I just can't bring myself to do it, I'm to afraid of what could happen with my current stock. When you get a good many fish the money adds up. It's just scary to think that something could wipe out your whole stock and the money you would be out of... ::shudder::

Last edited by a moderator:
This is true. Only way I would do that was if I had a quarantine tank and keep the fish in it for a while. There's times I want to save Walmart fish, but I just can't bring myself to do it, I'm to afraid of what could happen with my current stock. When you get a good many fish the money adds up. It's just scary to think that something could wipe out your whole stock and the money you would be out of... ::shudder::

Edited: like right now... I have close to $70 worth of stock. It's just to scary to even think $5 could completely put me out of $70 I've already spent.

Mrs.h2012 said:
This is true. Only way I would do that was if I had a quarantine tank and keep the fish in it for a while. There's times I want to save [store name removed] fish, but I just can't bring myself to do it, I'm to afraid of what could happen with my current stock. When you get a good many fish the money adds up. It's just scary to think that something could wipe out your whole stock and the money you would be out of... ::shudder::

I save fish from [store name removed] all the time. For a while I wouldn't do it but now I feel like its my duty. Pretty much any fish there is condemned to death. Either they are going to go to somebody that doesn't know how to take care of them or they are going to sit in terrible water conditions until that finally kills them.

I save fish from [store name removed] all the time. For a while I wouldn't do it but now I feel like its my duty. Pretty much any fish there is condemned to death. Either they are going to go to somebody that doesn't know how to take care of them or they are going to sit in terrible water conditions until that finally kills them.

I may start doing this, I do have a spare 10g I could use as a quartile just incase...

While this IS a great thing to do for those fish you buy, it sadly gives that place economic encouragement to house more fish poorly. So every time I think of buying a sad-looking fish from a bad store I remember - this would save that one fish, but hurt all the others who are taken there because people are buying from them :(

While this IS a great thing to do for those fish you buy, it sadly gives that place economic encouragement to house more fish poorly. So every time I think of buying a sad-looking fish from [store name removed] I remember - this would save that one fish, but hurt all the others who are taken to [store name removed] because people are buying from them :(

Yep. Just like buying a puppy from a puppy mill, just to save it. :(

How would I go about reporting it for something? I'm in the UK. I understand fish die, especially in the stress of pet shops but this is cruel :(
Sorry for the rant

Hiya, i'm UK too. I think the best course of action is to call rspca and let them know. They do everything they can for animals and they'd be able to tell you what you can do next.

There's a big name pet shop near us that keeps fish in less than ideal conditions.

I have removed the name of a store from posts above. Please refrain from store bashing. Thanks!

This is the reason why it's important to support your trusted LFS by giving them your business. Thankfully we have online stores we can go to, but sometimes you just want to walk out with a bag in hand. If we don't support our good local guys, then it's the bad ones we stuck with. IDK why, maybe it's just me, but why is it the bad LFS's somehow manage to stay in business year after year?

This is the reason why it's important to support your trusted LFS by giving them your business. Thankfully we have online stores we can go to, but sometimes you just want to walk out with a bag in hand. If we don't support our good local guys, then it's the bad ones we stuck with. IDK why, maybe it's just me, but why is it the bad LFS's somehow manage to stay in business year after year?

It's sad, but probably because people dont do proper research and think when a fish dies it must just be because they don't have a long life span. When fish die they just end up replacing, probably going back to the same place they bought them from because they don't know any better.

While this IS a great thing to do for those fish you buy, it sadly gives that place economic encouragement to house more fish poorly. So every time I think of buying a sad-looking fish from a bad store I remember - this would save that one fish, but hurt all the others who are taken there because people are buying from them :(
I totally agree.

I would indeed report that shop!

Back
Top Bottom