Researching coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok for a senior argumentative research paper I decided to do one on the coral reefs benefits and importance to human life. The only problem is there's really no good things that I could find about letting them go as is. Anyone know of anything that could fit?

Keep calm and drum on

Well the reefs are home to thousands of species of fish and inverts. We should conserve them to benefit the well being of the mass amount of life living in them.

I know near the Great Barrier Reef there is a coral fragging operation I think and they have giant frag racks on the ocean floor for cultivating and repopulating.

EDIT: it could be compared to Deforestation. The destroying of animals natural habitats.

Caleb

Well the reefs are home to thousands of species of fish and inverts. We should conserve them to benefit the well being of the mass amount of life living in them.

I know near the Great Barrier Reef there is a coral fragging operation I think and they have giant frag racks on the ocean floor for cultivating and repopulating.

EDIT: it could be compared to Deforestation. The destroying of animals natural habitats.

Caleb

I agree with that but argumentative essay needs both sides and I'm trying to find anything that someone could use as an argument against protecting them. All but one paragraph of a four page essay is in favor of protection of reefs I just need one to argue against.

Keep calm and drum on

That's going to be difficult. I keep typing things out but then I erase it because I think who the heck would ever go against protecting natural habitats?

I guess in a way you could turn it on our hobby? If you protect all the reefs of the world then obviously that would be a great thing. But to really protect them from all possible threats you have to including people who harvest from them? This is just an idea....but if we weren't aloud to harvest from the ocean for our hobby I bet you'd get a lot of mad people and a lot of people losing their livelihood.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's going to be difficult. I keep typing things out but then I erase it because I think who the heck would ever go against protecting natural habitats?

I guess in a way you could turn it on our hobby? If you protect all the reefs of the world then obviously that would be a great thing. But to really protect them from all possible threats you have to including people who harvest from them? This is just an idea....but if we weren't aloud to harvest from the ocean for our hobby I bet you'd get a lot of mad people and a lot of people losing their livelihood.

I'm not sure you could. If you think about it the coral farmed from reefs will typically go to a home where they'll be protected and pampered when housed properly.

Keep calm and drum on

I'm not sure you could. If you think about it the coral farmed from reefs will typically go to a home where they'll be protected and pampered when housed properly.

Keep calm and drum on

Yeah but it doesn't benefit the ecosystem when it's in our tanks at home. A lot of coral/fish die in transit or in the hands of consumers. It's not all bad in a sense. But it's definitely not all good

You could come up as a industrialist view, saying how if we add more restrictions to what companies can park, such as cruise ships not being able to drop anchor in certain places because the anchor will destroy parts of the reef. Saying in countries with lower income, you can't get as many cruise ships into the dock, thus cutting into the amount of revenue a certain tourist attraction can make a year

Sent via echolocation

Yes, you could do one on say barrier reef needing channels maybe for shipping (I think there was a ship a while back that cut a corner and hit a reef).

The channels would be destructive but increase productivity as ships not going around long way (or something). The shipping would be more safe so less environmental risk with a ship leaking after hitting a reef. Also I think storms (not sure here) destroy a fair bit of reef anyways.

Edit - just in case, not saying I believe that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom