Resume

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GIMojo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Why Hello fellow AA family members. im trying to get a job, ive made a resume that looks quite attractive. this is my first resume, i havnt seen many others. Thus i ask advice from those who have. here's my resume

Hard working A student, good with electronics; Cameras/PC/Aquariums
Contact Info
Charlie Le
not giving my address in public :p
Brampton, Ontario L6T-3Z4, Canada
Email: charlie.le@gmail.com
Phone Number: not giving phone number either :p

Objective
Currently a high school student. On the honour roll with a high 80% avg. Never late, never away. Never sick, will work sick. Looking for work that will draw upon my knowledge of one of the following fields and/or skills.

Cameras: how to use and their different functions. Have 5 cameras all together; 3 film, 2 digital, no SLR cameras yet. Hoping to be enlightened in that field.

Computers: hardware, installation of hardware, their functions. Have had four computers over a 3 year span. Have install hardware for two of them; RAM, Hard Drive, DVD drive, Video card, Slave hard drive. Work well with manuals.

Aquariums: aquariums, aquarium accessories and aquatic animals. Currently have a 10 year old Oscar, 2 frogs raised from tadpoles, koi and a map turtle. Also currently breeding live breeders and gouramis. Own 5 fish tanks

Education

Grade: 10
School: Bramalea Secondary School

Work Experience

Currently volunteering for the Ontario Early Learning Centre

Skills

Skill Skill Level Skill Experience
Cameras Intermediate 3 years
Computers Intermediate 5 years
Aquariums Intermediate-Advance 5 years

Languages
Language Proficiency
English Medium-High
Vietnamese Medium
French Low

Additional Info

Interests-
Sports: Hockey, Bike riding
Aquarium Hobbyist
Electronics
Reading

Other Strengths-
Communication Skills: Enjoy talking with other people. Have no problem communicating with strangers wether it is young or old, male or female. Very comfortable when speaking.

Fast Learner: Will take on the challenges of being enlightened in anything. Will learn very quick wether it is general knowledge or part of a book.

Work well alone: Have no problems being isolated from other people, for a short or long period of time. May be more productive working alone.

Work well with others: Enjoy the company of other people. Rarely will ever argue, and makes friends very quick.

Physically strong: Can lift heavy objects; 70-100lbs, with little struggle.

Creative: Love to explore new ways of improving productivity and being more mindful.

Initiative: Enjoy working very much. Very self starting, no motivation is necessary.

Full of energy: Driven from the power of youth and high levels of hormones, one does not get tired very often.

Math: Very strong in math. Been in Kumon math and english learning centre for over 5 years.

Flexible with work type: Will perform any type of work.

Work Status: Canada - I am authorized to work in this country for any employer.

Desired Type: Employee, Intern

Desired Status: Part-Time, Full Time(Between July and August)

Desired Salary: 9.00 CAD Per Hour

Desired Job Titles: Cashier

Availability to work: Within 2 weeks

Desired Work Shifts: Anytime

Weekend Preference: Prefer weekends

the format may be a little screwed up because its posted in a forum

A few things:
You spelled "whether" wrong
I would put in there you have strong leadership skills and enjoy working as a team.
Mention you are a confidant speaker
instead of this:
"Work well with others: Enjoy the company of other people. Rarely will ever argue, and makes friends very quick. "
Try this:
Enjoys the company of others, makes friends quickly, never initiates conflict

When you say "rarely argues" it sounds kinda.. off

Also-
"
Initiative: Enjoy working very much. Very self starting, no motivation is necessary"

you should say you are "self motivated" instead of "no motivation necessary"

Thats my little bit of imput =o)

What type of job are you looking to get? Usually resumes work best when they are written to fit the job you are applying for. That way you can highlight the experience and skills that fit that particular job as your strengths.

Also, I would completely get rid of the part about how you might be more productive working alone....frankly it sounds kind of weird. What you may want to say is something more along the lines of, "self starter who works well even with minimal supervision."

I would also drop "rarely ever argue." It just makes you think ....hmmm but he does sometimes argue!?

I would also get rid of "high levels of hormones" LOL Although that did make me laugh...so who knows it could work for ya.

Other than that I would just clean it up a bit. In some places it is wordy and repetitive.
Good luck to you on your job search!

uhh im trying to apply for just a simple low wage store. no career in mind, pet store would be best, then electronics, or even sport store, convinience store would be cool too. i dont care

here is a good web site that helps you organize your resume....maybe it will help.

http://jobstar.org/tools/resume/tempfun.cfm

I do highly recommend having your goal/objective at the top of your resume. And I would recommend changing it for each job you apply for. The goal/objective part shouldn't discuss the fact that you are on the honor roll. That should go somewhere else......accomplishment section perhaps. The goal should focus on what kind of job you are looking for and it should be specific. For example for a job at the lfs....

Objective: To work in an environment that enriches my love of aquaria and allows me to learn more while putting to good use the knowledge and experience I have already gained.

That's a horrible sentence off the top of my head....so don't use that but you get the basic idea of how an objective should sound.

Yes definitely take out the working sick part .... I work in an office of 500 people and trust me if one person comes to work sick it ends up an epidemic!!!!! This is why most companies give sick time, they expect people to be sick every now and then!

If you have Microsoft Word it has a pretty good Resume Wizard that you should check out! If not search the net for resume help and you'll come up with a million hits!

Good Luck .....

PS - you should send a % of your first paycheck to every member that helped ya out! :lol: :lol: (y) ... just kiddin!

I found this site this morning:

http://msn.careerbuilder.com/custom...1e6b343210439f9c795d07d3115494-172830770-rj-1

Even if you are just applying for what you consider to be a minor job, it does not hurt to have a spirit of excellence in all you do. I started out cleaning toilets and bagging groceries when I was 16 but am now a partner in a law firm. The attitude of excellence will come across in everything you do. Even the lowest-ranking retail manager will remember a professional. Good luck! (y)

I would keep it very simple and to the point. Use bullet points and not too much of the long sentences.

Any resume that is more then 2 page is way too long. Focus on your computer skills & interpersonal communication skills. Stress to employers your are dedicated, hard working and very friendly.

When working with the public, you need to stress your communication and customer service skills.

I hope that helps and I'm not too late. Good Luck!

errr i put my resume in a job agency. ill probably work in a factory for about 10 dolalrs an hour. 10 dollars an hour is very good money for a 15 year old! if i work 5 hours, thats 50 bucks! all those glorious fish i can buy!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom