Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #21
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingforfish View Post
You're right.

We can all agree that the tanks look decent, but that's not my point. Yeah, clean tanks is a good thing, but that's not even half the battle. Right, it's temporary housing but how long do you think it could live in those conditions? How would anyone know how long it's gonna take before someone gets them out alive? Or, maybe I care too much about fish, huh? Ill just stop on this topic here.

The reason why I pointed out buying from them is because it's the closest one. Others are far out. You can be unhappy with something, and not go there, but if you don't have a choice? Oh yes, you can say it all day, it does sound hypocritical criticizing a store yet buying from them. But it's not like I have a choice to do otherwise. Getting out of here and going out is not a breeze when you can't drive out. Sure, the store is getting my money at the end of the day but heck, what about the money? I'd rather know its in better conditions than to criticize any not to anything about it.

I'm not trying to start a fight, we are all entitled to our own opinions and choices, and that's just how I see things.
We are indeed entitled to our own opinions. It's mine that I think you are expecting a little too much out of the pet store, stocking wise. All I ask is to soak in a little more info on how these places work.

How long could those fish live in those conditions? A very long time. Remember that water quality is the biggest factor on fish development rather than space, and from what it looks like in the photos, those tanks are on central systems. That means there is a bunch of water volume behind the scenes constantly circulating through the tanks. So even though the fish are potentially cramped in a smaller than ideal area, they are getting fresh water to them, and while it's not the picture perfect idea of what a stocked tank should look like in our homes, it works just fine.

And ultimately you do have a choice. This is not a grocery store, it's a pet store. If you can't make the drive to a better store, consider buying online.
__________________

__________________
Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Fishingforfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
We are indeed entitled to our own opinions. It's mine that I think you are expecting a little too much out of the pet store, stocking wise. All I ask is to soak in a little more info on how these places work.

How long could those fish live in those conditions? A very long time. Remember that water quality is the biggest factor on fish development rather than space, and from what it looks like in the photos, those tanks are on central systems. That means there is a bunch of water volume behind the scenes constantly circulating through the tanks. So even though the fish are potentially cramped in a smaller than ideal area, they are getting fresh water to them, and while it's not the picture perfect idea of what a stocked tank should look like in our homes, it works just fine.

And ultimately you do have a choice. This is not a grocery store, it's a pet store. If you can't make the drive to a better store, consider buying online.
That does make things sound better. Very informative, thanks!

I wish buying online was as easy as paying with CC or PP. Here it isn't. You'd need to visit a place to buy a permit. And that's only valid for one purchase. Add the permit, shipping and actual fish, maybe some extra fees because of whatever, and it's skyrocket pricing lol. Shall I move to the states for a day? haha. Some fish aren't even legal here.
__________________

__________________
Fishingforfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Fishingforfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquandrew View Post

i know exactly what your saying it just really got to me seeing a clown trigger that had so much ich on it you could barely see its colors. and i definitely agree with you about the stocking those 3 oscars in that tank doesn't look bad at all its what most fish stores do. its not their job to give you good information, its their job to sell you fish.
Everything can get to you at [store]. My sister nearly fainted at a dead bird in those cages. I've actually come around to meet some really informative employees though. I guess it just depends on who is on the floor. About the "it's their job to sell you fish"..you got that right. They don't speak unless you want to buy something. Then you could see their eyes perk up and everything goes smoothly from there. Lol

On a positive note, I haven't seen ich anywhere in the tanks. Pretty much the best thing ever.
__________________
Fishingforfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #24
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,047
I think you can forego all of that if you find someone in hawaii that sells fish, but I'm not certain. It's worth a look, though, I know there are fish breeders out there.
__________________
Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Fishingforfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
I think you can forego all of that if you find someone in hawaii that sells fish, but I'm not certain. It's worth a look, though, I know there are fish breeders out there.
It's tough. Most fish breeders here specializes in saltwater fishes (it makes sense, after all, we are in Hawaii lol), or fishes that get waaaay too big for my tank. I have seen some guppies and goldfish that were being sold though. Otherwise, nothing in my stock. Ill just have to keep looking!
__________________
Fishingforfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Aquamandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Holly Springs, NC
Posts: 466
Good Lord. I get that pet stores over crowd some of their tanks but that is just downright ridiculous.
__________________
Aquamandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Coryluv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 789
As long as the tanks are clean, the fish are active and healthy with no sign of disease, and dead fish are removed promptly (yes, even good stores have losses), I'm okay with the typical pet store tanks. It is not the way we run our tanks at home.

I just got my otos from a large chain store and going on two weeks they are fine. That is a major oto milestone. It is a fish with known high initial losses.

I have gotten great condition fish from the large chains and fish that got sick and died from a LFS and vice versa. And I never buy from a store with tanks that look anything but healthy.

I'm finding that those $1 tetras from the large or small chains are most often just as good as any fish I've ever had. I'm shopping price more and more as long as the store looks good overall, and has the fish that fits my stocking plan.
__________________
Coryluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Fishingforfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coryluv View Post
As long as the tanks are clean, the fish are active and healthy with no sign of disease, and dead fish are removed promptly (yes, even good stores have losses), I'm okay with the typical pet store tanks. It is not the way we run our tanks at home.

I just got my otos from a large chain store and going on two weeks they are fine. That is a major oto milestone. It is a fish with known high initial losses.

I have gotten great condition fish from the large chains and fish that got sick and died from a LFS and vice versa. And I never buy from a store with tanks that look anything but healthy.

I'm finding that those $1 tetras from the large or small chains are most often just as good as any fish I've ever had. I'm shopping price more and more as long as the store looks good overall, and has the fish that fits my stocking plan.
$1 tetras?! They almost touch $3 each at my local [store]. Lol darn.
__________________
Fishingforfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
AngelFishGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 880
Honestly to me it just seems like a normal pet store.

3 oscars in a ten gallon is fine. They are only there temporarily until they are rehomed. The feeders ALWAYS have tanks like that they aren't meant for a happy life they're meant to just be eaten anyway. Not that I agree with just raising fish to kill them but it's how people decided to do it.

All fish tanks in stores are pretty much gonna be overstocked but they're fine usually because they're only there for so little time. Think about it. You could buy 5 oscars and keep them in a 10 gallon no problem for a week. It's only if they're there for months there's a problem. Not a big chance of that though.
__________________
I may be a little TOO obsessed with my angels...
AngelFishGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Coryluv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingforfish View Post
$1 tetras?! They almost touch $3 each at my local petco. Lol darn.
That's only sale prices, lol.

I recently got otos for $1 ea at petsmart, pristella tetras for $1 each at a smaller chain, and peppered corys for $2.50 ea at that same smaller chain. I don't know what the regular price on the otos was, but on the other fish the sales saved me nearly $20. On more common fish, paying more has never gotten me a better fish. I definitely check for sales now. Ymmv if you are buying rare or unusual fish.
__________________

__________________
Coryluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.