Sad trip to lps..with pictures.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're right.

We can all agree that the tanks look decent, but that's not my point. Yeah, clean tanks is a good thing, but that's not even half the battle. Right, it's temporary housing but how long do you think it could live in those conditions? How would anyone know how long it's gonna take before someone gets them out alive? Or, maybe I care too much about fish, huh? Ill just stop on this topic here.

The reason why I pointed out buying from them is because it's the closest one. Others are far out. You can be unhappy with something, and not go there, but if you don't have a choice? Oh yes, you can say it all day, it does sound hypocritical criticizing a store yet buying from them. But it's not like I have a choice to do otherwise. Getting out of here and going out is not a breeze when you can't drive out. Sure, the store is getting my money at the end of the day but heck, what about the money? I'd rather know its in better conditions than to criticize any not to anything about it.

I'm not trying to start a fight, we are all entitled to our own opinions and choices, and that's just how I see things. :)
We are indeed entitled to our own opinions. It's mine that I think you are expecting a little too much out of the pet store, stocking wise. All I ask is to soak in a little more info on how these places work.

How long could those fish live in those conditions? A very long time. Remember that water quality is the biggest factor on fish development rather than space, and from what it looks like in the photos, those tanks are on central systems. That means there is a bunch of water volume behind the scenes constantly circulating through the tanks. So even though the fish are potentially cramped in a smaller than ideal area, they are getting fresh water to them, and while it's not the picture perfect idea of what a stocked tank should look like in our homes, it works just fine.

And ultimately you do have a choice. This is not a grocery store, it's a pet store. If you can't make the drive to a better store, consider buying online.

We are indeed entitled to our own opinions. It's mine that I think you are expecting a little too much out of the pet store, stocking wise. All I ask is to soak in a little more info on how these places work.

How long could those fish live in those conditions? A very long time. Remember that water quality is the biggest factor on fish development rather than space, and from what it looks like in the photos, those tanks are on central systems. That means there is a bunch of water volume behind the scenes constantly circulating through the tanks. So even though the fish are potentially cramped in a smaller than ideal area, they are getting fresh water to them, and while it's not the picture perfect idea of what a stocked tank should look like in our homes, it works just fine.

And ultimately you do have a choice. This is not a grocery store, it's a pet store. If you can't make the drive to a better store, consider buying online.

That does make things sound better. Very informative, thanks!

I wish buying online was as easy as paying with CC or PP. Here it isn't. You'd need to visit a place to buy a permit. And that's only valid for one purchase. Add the permit, shipping and actual fish, maybe some extra fees because of whatever, and it's skyrocket pricing lol. Shall I move to the states for a day? :D haha. Some fish aren't even legal here.

i know exactly what your saying it just really got to me seeing a clown trigger that had so much ich on it you could barely see its colors. and i definitely agree with you about the stocking those 3 oscars in that tank doesn't look bad at all its what most fish stores do. its not their job to give you good information, its their job to sell you fish.

Everything can get to you at [store]. My sister nearly fainted at a dead bird in those cages. I've actually come around to meet some really informative employees though. I guess it just depends on who is on the floor. About the "it's their job to sell you fish"..you got that right. They don't speak unless you want to buy something. Then you could see their eyes perk up and everything goes smoothly from there. Lol

On a positive note, I haven't seen ich anywhere in the tanks. Pretty much the best thing ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you can forego all of that if you find someone in hawaii that sells fish, but I'm not certain. It's worth a look, though, I know there are fish breeders out there.

It's tough. Most fish breeders here specializes in saltwater fishes (it makes sense, after all, we are in Hawaii lol), or fishes that get waaaay too big for my tank. I have seen some guppies and goldfish that were being sold though. Otherwise, nothing in my stock. Ill just have to keep looking! :)

As long as the tanks are clean, the fish are active and healthy with no sign of disease, and dead fish are removed promptly (yes, even good stores have losses), I'm okay with the typical pet store tanks. It is not the way we run our tanks at home.

I just got my otos from a large chain store and going on two weeks they are fine. That is a major oto milestone. It is a fish with known high initial losses.

I have gotten great condition fish from the large chains and fish that got sick and died from a LFS and vice versa. And I never buy from a store with tanks that look anything but healthy.

I'm finding that those $1 tetras from the large or small chains are most often just as good as any fish I've ever had. I'm shopping price more and more as long as the store looks good overall, and has the fish that fits my stocking plan.

As long as the tanks are clean, the fish are active and healthy with no sign of disease, and dead fish are removed promptly (yes, even good stores have losses), I'm okay with the typical pet store tanks. It is not the way we run our tanks at home.

I just got my otos from a large chain store and going on two weeks they are fine. That is a major oto milestone. It is a fish with known high initial losses.

I have gotten great condition fish from the large chains and fish that got sick and died from a LFS and vice versa. And I never buy from a store with tanks that look anything but healthy.

I'm finding that those $1 tetras from the large or small chains are most often just as good as any fish I've ever had. I'm shopping price more and more as long as the store looks good overall, and has the fish that fits my stocking plan.

$1 tetras?! They almost touch $3 each at my local [store]. Lol darn. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly to me it just seems like a normal pet store.

3 oscars in a ten gallon is fine. They are only there temporarily until they are rehomed. The feeders ALWAYS have tanks like that they aren't meant for a happy life they're meant to just be eaten anyway. Not that I agree with just raising fish to kill them but it's how people decided to do it.

All fish tanks in stores are pretty much gonna be overstocked but they're fine usually because they're only there for so little time. Think about it. You could buy 5 oscars and keep them in a 10 gallon no problem for a week. It's only if they're there for months there's a problem. Not a big chance of that though.

$1 tetras?! They almost touch $3 each at my local petco. Lol darn. :)

That's only sale prices, lol.

I recently got otos for $1 ea at petsmart, pristella tetras for $1 each at a smaller chain, and peppered corys for $2.50 ea at that same smaller chain. I don't know what the regular price on the otos was, but on the other fish the sales saved me nearly $20. On more common fish, paying more has never gotten me a better fish. I definitely check for sales now. Ymmv if you are buying rare or unusual fish.

That's only sale prices, lol.

I recently got otos for $1 ea at petsmart, pristella tetras for $1 each at a smaller chain, and peppered corys for $2.50 ea at that same smaller chain. I don't know what the regular price on the otos was, but on the other fish the sales saved me nearly $20. On more common fish, paying more has never gotten me a better fish. I definitely check for sales now. Ymmv if you are buying rare or unusual fish.

I see. I don't intend on getting anything else besides gourami and cory, so it's really not hard to find around. Saving is always a good thing though. :)

It looks ok for a store setting. It's not permanent housing so hopefully they'll sell them quickly. Although I do hate those beta cups regardless of where they are

It looks ok for a store setting. It's not permanent housing so hopefully they'll sell them quickly. Although I do hate those beta cups regardless of where they are

I know. It's kinda weird because whenever we're looking at betta, they all look dead because they don't move much or at all in there. There was even a time when a container almost fell off the shelves. I've never seen a betta in a tank IRL, I've always saw them in plastic cups.

They probably don't move cause there hypoxic, they rock the same water till someone comes along and buys them for a 20oz vase office decor.

Back
Top Bottom