Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2013, 03:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sad trip to lps..with pictures.

I literally just got home from the pet store (I won't mention the name, but it's pretty obvious)..we saw alot of dead fish, soo bad that their eyes were missing, and other fish were picking at them. Along with that, there are a lot of VERY OVERSTOCKED tanks.

Ready?

6 GOLDFISH in a tank that looks like a 10g. A lot of gasping.

A whole bunch of comet goldfish (?)..they're pretty small IRL but there's waaaay too many in the tank, it's like there's no space at all for them to swim..and yes, there are dead fish on the bottom.

3 Oscars in a small tank..need I say more?

There's much more, but I didn't take a picture because there were employees around at the time..

But on the bright side, they do have some really nice colored betta (that unfortunately I couldn't get)

Oh well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1954755473.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	187449   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3721469929.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	187450  

Name:	image-3038190135.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	187451   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-916338047.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	187452  

Name:	image-1460975713.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	187453   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1612258134.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	187454  

Name:	image-2955639764.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	187455   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3022350562.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	187456  

Old 07-21-2013, 04:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gotta say those tanks are perfect compared to most around here. They look nice and clean and the water is clear. The feeder fish tank is pretty typical- which makes me wonder why such fish would make a nutritious meal.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Feeders are great for turtles and ducks.. not soo much for fish
Old 07-21-2013, 04:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeh I don't see a problem there compaired to most places
Old 07-21-2013, 05:05 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree, the feeders are clearly overcrowded but they always are so I wouldn't call it a problem. The oscars look pretty healthy.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah well, the tanks could look clean, but that doesn't speak for the actual being of the fish. Don't get me wrong, clean tanks are good but that's only half of the problem.

Meh, I honestly care more about the fishes health than the supposedly perfect tank. As for the feeders, I don't know too much about them, but it scared me for sure lol

EDIT:

@bettaowner-- Surprisingly, they do! I just didn't think I'd see 3 oscars in such a small tank IRL. It reminded me of that video you shared, lol! It even made my sister question if we can keep one in our 10g!

I also looked at their dwarf gouramis (it is part of my stocking plan)...they look fine, but I saw one upside down, dead. There was a single flame gourami in another tank and it is really pretty! I'm just scared of one carrying DGIV. $8 is not bad, I guess. Too bad my tank isn't mature yet, or else I would've gotten it.

All in all, we saw 1 black moor dead by the filter, 2 platy, one dead in a plastic plant, and one in another tank by the filter. I don't know the name of this other fish (all I really can tell you is that it's gray and pretty big LOL) but it was also dead by the filter with no eyes. One glofish upside down in the water (my sister caught this one!)..oh and I didn't think glofish would be that expensive..$12 each?! Wow! They are such beauties under LED though!

Oh, and guess what? They ran out of cories so I couldn't see them ****, lol. I've grown to like those little cats. Haha
Old 07-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The tanks in pet stores usually are overcrowded but the tanks are also usually on several large systems not all separate tanks(quite often, not always) which means that the wall of tanks your looking at is all one large water system, the next wall is all one large water system, ect .. This allows the water to be maintained in the over crowded holding tanks. Not defending the pet stores, I hate their overcrowded tanks, just explaining that its this setup that allows the to do this. It's the ones that have single tanks that are really over stocked that I really hate.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmunroe View Post
The tanks in pet stores usually are overcrowded but the tanks are also usually on several large systems not all separate tanks(quite often, not always) which means that the wall of tanks your looking at is all one large water system, the next wall is all one large water system, ect .. This allows the water to be maintained in the over crowded holding tanks. Not defending the pet stores, I hate their overcrowded tanks, just explaining that its this setup that allows the to do this. It's the ones that have single tanks that are really over stocked that I really hate.
I figured. But the fish look really miserable. The goldfish in that tank were all gasping like crazy. The only fish I could say look healthiest was the tetras. They had several types of them and they all looked fine and happy. The oscars were fine (like I said in my previous comment) but they weren't as big either.
Sure the water is maintained, but that small tank wouldn't do justice for their living space. I mean, you could have a luxury room with fine food and furniture, but it wouldn't help if there are 9 other people in that room with you, right?
I hope they get bought by someone who knows what they're doing.

Needless to say, I really want goldfish. They're soo cute. One day. Haha
Old 07-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

these petco tanks look ok to me, they're not permanent housing.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herp_mommy View Post
these petco tanks look ok to me, they're not permanent housing.
Yup. And that's why they overstock. The stock moves quickly for the most part and in order to house the stock they have properly you would need a huge store and still not have many fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com