Safe Aquascaping Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mactec47

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, would like to know if Slate Floor Tiles are safe in my freshwater Malawi aquarium ? Also , would Liquid Nails be a safe choice for glueing rocks and slate in my aquarium ? Thank you all in advance, need to make caves as soon as possible to lessen cichlid aggression.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The floor tiles should be ok if they aren't treated with anything but I'm iffy on the liquid nail. Great for assembling furniture (if you never need to take it apart again - a nice computer desk I once had needed to be hacked to bits when I moved) but I'm not sure it is fish safe. I will only use pure silicone (ge type 1 doors and windows - no mildewcides is my choice) for tank use. Also if you are feeling creative, sculpey polymer clay is safe once you bake it. Good for making caves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Someone else tried floor tiles with no problems. They were looking at some pretty colourful patterns from memory.

+1 on the liquid nails - the stuff here I'm pretty sure shouldn't be used in wet areas.

You could use clay pots until yoy make the tile caves.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Take a plastic tub from something like a butter spread. Cut it in half then place it at the bottom of the tank. Cover the tub with gravel and place pieces of slate around the front to hide the plastic edge. There you have it - Instant cave! The larger the fish the larger the plastic tub.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom