Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Safety of dumping API test waste water into the drain

Hello,

Yesterday I realized that I don't know how safe it is to dump wastewater from the API water test kits down the drain... some of the chemicals are pretty nasty with warnings about severe burns, etc and that made me think, is it okay to dump down the drain?

Is it safe to dump the waste water from the test kits down the drain? Also, we have a well, so it's not city or town water.
If not, what do we do with it?

Hubby suggested a milk jug, which would take quite a while to fill. Not sure where we'd dump it after but. If we did dump it in the milk jug, would it be safe to dump the wastewater from all the tests in it?

I'm sure other people have thought about this before, although I've never come across the question before in my fish research, although I haven't done too much reading yet.

Thanks everyone in advance and if there's anything else I missed or forgot to ask, please feel free to chime in!

Old 09-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just dump it outside but not in a garden or anything.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Old 09-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks I might do that!
Old 09-09-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think it would present more of an environmental hazard just dumping it outside much, much more so than down the drain.
Any municipal water treatment would be than sufficient to handle the infinitesimal amounts of chemicals added to the millions of gallons of waste water being processed.
If going into a septic system, it may produce issues with the bacteria in the system over time, but I really kinda doubt it.

Just dumping it outside is the least responsible way to dispose of it.

plus I can't think of any way it could effect your well water unless your well and septic system are not designed properly.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks PB! After I was thinking about it more, I realized that may not be the best way to go, and it doesn't seem too responsible either.

I did a little online searching too (I was going to anyway, but I always like to ask myself too) and found a few other threads on various forums where this subject was touched on. The general consensus was that it should be fine. It's diluted in the test tube, then its further diluted when washed down the sink, then further once it gets into the septic tank. So it's probably fine. We just worry since you know, we eventually drink that water again. Also I was a little concerned about it damaging our pipes, but, it's diluted so it should be fine.

We have a well and a septic tank, no municipal water here.

Thank you for the reply!
Old 09-09-2014, 07:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
I think it would present more of an environmental hazard just dumping it outside much, much more so than down the drain.
Any municipal water treatment would be than sufficient to handle the infinitesimal amounts of chemicals added to the millions of gallons of waste water being processed.
If going into a septic system, it may produce issues with the bacteria in the system over time, but I really kinda doubt it.

Just dumping it outside is the least responsible way to dispose of it.

plus I can't think of any way it could effect your well water unless your well and septic system are not designed properly.

Really then I'll stop doing that. But in all honesty 4 mil of solution isn't going to do much. Please also work on re-phrasing your collects from now on, they feel very much like an attack. And several other people on different threads feel that way as well

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 09-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdude3233 View Post
Really then I'll stop doing that. But in all honesty 4 mil of solution isn't going to do much. Please also work on re-phrasing your collects from now on, they feel very much like an attack. And several other people on different threads feel that way as well

I drain hundreds of gallons of dirty tank water down my driveway and I'd be more concerned with that, because there are far more chemicals in it then testing equipment. And it could have TB in it or other fish to human diseases.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

We always dump our old tank water down the driveway, but the test tube waste water we have been putting down the drain. Dumping it outside is probably worse than putting it down the drain. We just don't want to harm ourselves or any other living creatures.

I hope I didn't sound attack-ish at all, I was just agreeing that it doesn't sound very responsible.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

You didn't sound attack ish but PB has been lets just say "annoying other members with the way he posts stuff. He has great info but doesn't always word it right"

Old 09-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I gotcha. I didn't think it seemed bad really.

I haven't read too much around the forum yet, I am still pretty new, and full of questions!

Tags
api, ate, safe, test, waste, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com