Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-30-2005, 05:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to crazyred
I love how a man can say "don't be so paranoid" when they are rarely the victims of the kind of crime we're talking about here. I guess you have to be female to understand the fear.

Thanks for the tips. Even if the email is part of an urban legend I can tell you, as a former police officer and now border patrol agent's wife, that most of these will work. Pay attention girls, it could save your life.

"My name is Crazy Red and I'm an Aquariumaholic." ~~Melissa~~dedicated Ram breeder~~

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

10 Gal. FW: 1 african clawed frog, 1 dwarf flame gourami

10 Gal. FW:tons of blue ram fry

(4) 2 Gal. FW: all four with male bettas
Old 11-30-2005, 05:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
And you should keep a gas mask in your purse in case there is a full blown biological or chemical warfare terrorist attack that happens simultaneously while you're being abducted. Oh and ALWAYS carry duck tape!

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together...."
Carl Zwanzig

May the force be with you

Seriously though I think all women should take self defence classes and some type of martial arts. Get in shape, eat well, and learn how to fight so you can defend yourself if ever need be. Oh and watch lots of Buffy for inspiration. Seriously most criminals aren't in the best shape and if a man is trying to "abduct" you he will have a much harder time if you know how to use your body as a weapon.

Old 11-30-2005, 05:58 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
I also get very paranoid when I am home alone. The slightest squeek and I am freaking out. Now that we have two cats that I swear are noctornal, I hear tons of sounds at night and I don't pay any attention to them. But at night if I walk to my car and there is a van parked next to mine, I won't get in it. I've heard of stories of it happening, TRUE stories in the news. If its at the mall I will go back into the store and do some more shopping. I'd rather be a little bit paranoid than be dead because in this day and age, anything happens. People do stupid things and attack people for no reason. It happens every day. Last month a guy shot and killed his girlfriend and 9 month old baby because she forgot to pick something up at the grocery store. You can never be too safe anymore.
Vote for Aquarium Advice

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Old 11-30-2005, 07:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I don't think it is a matter of being paranoid, it is a matter of being aware of the risks. How would you feel if your girlfriend, mother or wife landed up in one of these situations and didn't have any knowledge to be prepared with? I know that myself as well as most of the women I know take knowledge in stride and still enjoy life without paranoia. If anything should ever happen to me or my friends, we have some additional info to help us out of the situation. I don't expect anything like this to happen to me, but there have been home invasions not far from me in the middle of the day. So awareness is very good IMO.
AA Community Rules | AA TOS

Site Administrator
Old 11-30-2005, 09:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
never heard of duck tape.... quack quack....
Duct tape, tape that is used on air ducts.... hence the name duct tape.
And guns don't kill people, people kill people.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:31 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
my point was that if you are so afraid of becoming a victim of crime, get the means to defend yourself from it.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:35 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
Wasn't that the whole point of the email posted? So we have the "mental means" to defend ourselves?

Old 12-01-2005, 08:13 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
I think the "don't be so paranoid" posts reflect the fact that there's a line where a person is simply taking their worries too far. An example is trained/learned paranoia. I know a guy who fought in the special forces in Vietnam. He's almost impossible to go out with just because he can't sit with his back to a door. He freaks out if he has to.

I agree that everyone should be aware. No offense to those that don't, but I do all of the awareness stuff as second nature. A good martial arts instructor can instill this in you as well. So can listening to Yoda in the Star Wars movies (5 and 6, that is).

If you're that worried when approaching your car, fist the biggest key on your key ring. Place the handle side in your palm and the key side sticking out between your first and second fingers. Here is an example of the "professional" application of this method (for clarity). Aim for a soft area, preferably low. Chances are you won't get a shot at the neck and up as everybody (even pacifists) have a natural reaction to protect their throat and face. If you get a free shot to the head though, take it. If puttin a key in somebody's ribs opens a shot to the head, depending on the situation, take it. Even if you can't hit hard, you can at least hit "sharp".

Realistically speaking, if your state allows conceal carry and you are worried about becoming a victim, make use of it. If your state does not allow conceal carry, well, that's your decision; I know a lot of people who were happy when the law allowed them to be "legal". Like them or not, guns are out there. They give some people an inflated sense of importance making them feel more powerful. They give other people a sense of feeling safe (whether they are or not). But the bottom line is that regardless of how you fell about them, it doesn't take them away from those who would use them in an unlawful manner.

Something else to think about when talking about any weapon (even a punch) is that a weapon can be taken away and used against you. Personally, although my state allows conceal carry, I haven't gotten a permit yet. But I don't carry a gun either as I wouldn't want it to be used against me. I have other means of protecting myself in a close area confrontation and would prefer to exhaust those methods first. Not to mention the fact that I wouldn't want to have to kill somebody regardless of the situation; guns can easily make that goal unachievable. When it comes to my life or yours though, the choice is easy.

Oh yeah, elbows do make great weapons, but they are almost useless unless you actually train your body in the movements required to develop the power necessary to make the hit successful. They are easy to learn, but aren't used in everyday motion.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:43 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
Florida has just passed a law pertaining to situations in where you fell threatened you can now use weapons to protect yourself ... i.e. if someone approaches you with a tire iron, and you have a gun (of course with conceal/carry permit) you can defend yourself by any means necessary!

I personally think it's a great law, but many people here say that it will just become anarchy ... people shooting people for no known reasons. What they don't understand I think is that if you can't prove that the person intended to harm you then your up ^%&#'s creek with no paddles!

I am signed up for my conceal/carry permit course and waiting to get my firearm. WHY? I want to be prepared ... unfortunately it's a sick sick world we live in these days and I'm sorry to say but if someone comes at me with any sort of weapon my elbow is not going to cut it!!! I'm goin out shootin. Label me militious or what have you, but the overall protection and safety of myself and my family is way more important than anything in this world!

As for the ladies ... I think women should be trained and armed at all times, unfortunately women in general are preyed upon more then men and most times can't defend themselves. I know Iam buying my wife a stun gun and mace ... I will show her how to properly use them and where the best areas on the body are to hit someone with 50,000volts!
God grant me the serenity to accept the thing's I can not change, the courage to change the thing's I can and the wisdom to know the difference!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Old 12-01-2005, 09:13 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

I've inisted my wife carry the key chain version (always handy) of the pepper spray when walking to and from her car.

IMO judo, or other close contact self defense training is a good choice too. When I first took a judo class, I found out very quickly (at about 150 lbs back then) that when leverage is used properly, that I could render a 210 man helpless or get him out of my face or off my back.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Closed Thread

die, tips

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com