Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Well I like the looks of my mp10 and kessil :p. The mp10 really does make the tank look a lot less crowded and replaced 2 koralias. If I didn't enjoy sps so much I'm sure I could of set up a reef for a lot less $$$. I don't buy the overpriced stuff for bragging rights and IMO after owning an mp10 and various other power heads, there isn't much comparison.
I love reef tanks and everything in my tank has come from other reefers or is ORA grown. I just read a great article on reef builders by mike paletta about the "reefers code" and it describes every value I feel about this hobby. People should share their corals, not put some ridiculous name on it and market it for $100's an inch... I think that's the best advice you can give to anyone getting into salt to save money. Look for a reef club or frag swaps to get corals. Retail is killer for pricing. I went to a shop and they had a beautiful Acropora valida colony in their display. I aske the guy how much for an inch frag. He goes oh that's not a valida it's GARF purple bonsai and is $80 for a fresh cut 1" frag. I just walked away. It's really sad when you think about it because shouldn't the central part of the reef hobby be conservation and aquaculture?!?!

Oh an p.s. PB I like my fancy things :p
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
I agree wholeheartedly about sharing. On that note, I got a 3" garf purple bonsai from a person I met off of Michigan reefers for $10
__________________

__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
treemanone2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bridgeport, Ct.
Posts: 2,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Well I like the looks of my mp10 and kessil :p. The mp10 really does make the tank look a lot less crowded and replaced 2 koralias. If I didn't enjoy sps so much I'm sure I could of set up a reef for a lot less $$$. I don't buy the overpriced stuff for bragging rights and IMO after owning an mp10 and various other power heads, there isn't much comparison.
I love reef tanks and everything in my tank has come from other reefers or is ORA grown. I just read a great article on reef builders by mike paletta about the "reefers code" and it describes every value I feel about this hobby. People should share their corals, not put some ridiculous name on it and market it for $100's an inch... I think that's the best advice you can give to anyone getting into salt to save money. Look for a reef club or frag swaps to get corals. Retail is killer for pricing. I went to a shop and they had a beautiful Acropora valida colony in their display. I aske the guy how much for an inch frag. He goes oh that's not a valida it's GARF purple bonsai and is $80 for a fresh cut 1" frag. I just walked away. It's really sad when you think about it because shouldn't the central part of the reef hobby be conservation and aquaculture?!?!

Oh an p.s. PB I like my fancy things :p
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I read the same article and was quite fascinated by the information that he shared. In particular how the first part of the code involved a great deal of sharing in the beginning of reef keeping back in the 80's and 90's. It really hit home with me as I'm still quite new with just under a year of SW and recently answered on another forum an ad for free corals. After getting the day and time squared away, we got the talking over and he presented me with a rather large Green Nepthea, and some nice frags consisting of Joker pocillipora, Red Hot Setosa, Sunset Montipora, and a Green Montipora. I offered to give him some money for gas, for the frags, and each time he refused. Before parting ways, he finally told me that when he was first starting out, many folks helped him along the way. Including free frags to help get him started and become successful in the hobby. He was just passing it along. It's made my pieces that much more special.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
treemanone2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Dogmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Saint Simons Island, GA
Posts: 51
I had my tank as a freshwater planted tank for 7 years, but we moved and when I set the tank back up, I set it up as a saltwater with live rock with fish and corals. I had someone who came to help me, but it was as if it wasn't my tank anymore, so after losing some fish and corals, I decided to go back to the freshwater tank. The saltwater tank was so stark, almost like the surface of the moon, and you could only have 1 or 2 of each of the fish, not groups, like freshwater. I am a gardener, and love the look of the planted tank, and I also enjoy having a groups of a variety of fish.
__________________
Dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
BLUElobster99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 736
I just got into salt water... And the amount of wild caught animals is astounding. I have a 50g mantis shrimp tank and I wanted to make my empty 20g salt but I'm feeling really uncomfortable about removing these animals from the ocean. I'm the kind of guy that won't take shells from the beach because i want to leave it for a hermit crab. So taking fragile animals from fragile ecosystem, and then shipping it halfway across the world seems a bit wrong to me. Unfortunately the mantis I'm getting is collected from a reef. That's why I'm doing everything in my ability to create a habitat that most resembles where it was collected. (eg the minimum. tank size is 30 but I'm doing a 50g) I've also made a large U shaped pvc tunnel to mimic the large burrows they construct in the wild.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
BLUElobster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:56 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemanone2003 View Post
I read the same article and was quite fascinated by the information that he shared. In particular how the first part of the code involved a great deal of sharing in the beginning of reef keeping back in the 80's and 90's. It really hit home with me as I'm still quite new with just under a year of SW and recently answered on another forum an ad for free corals. After getting the day and time squared away, we got the talking over and he presented me with a rather large Green Nepthea, and some nice frags consisting of Joker pocillipora, Red Hot Setosa, Sunset Montipora, and a Green Montipora. I offered to give him some money for gas, for the frags, and each time he refused. Before parting ways, he finally told me that when he was first starting out, many folks helped him along the way. Including free frags to help get him started and become successful in the hobby. He was just passing it along. It's made my pieces that much more special.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice


I like fw tanks too but if I ever did another fw tank it would have to be something challenging and different. I guess I'm just a salty through and through lol :p


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:05 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,673
To the original question, I don't think it's like Ford vs Rolls ... It's apples vs oranges.

They are two different but similar hobbies.

If someone gave me $10,000 to spend on a new aquarium, I'd stick with freshwater. I simply have no desire to try saltwater. Like many others have mentioned, I couldn't give up plants.


Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.
__________________
trennamw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by trennamw View Post
To the original question, I don't think it's like Ford vs Rolls ... It's apples vs oranges.

They are two different but similar hobbies.

If someone gave me $10,000 to spend on a new aquarium, I'd stick with freshwater. I simply have no desire to try saltwater. Like many others have mentioned, I couldn't give up plants.


Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.
2 words my friend... planted reef

One of the 3 plants I'm using in my reef.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1418526716980.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	258330  
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:59 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
fish wrangler's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NE Illinois
Posts: 4,146
I like it Mebbid!

I sent you a pm too Mebbid.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
3 tanks
a 29 gallon high tech planted Chasing Red, a 20 long low tech, and a 75 gallon salty adventure
fish wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:45 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Planted tanks are killing me. I thought fish were annoying but plants curl up their toes and wither away at the drop of a hat.
Yep, plants can be a real money pit. I've even managed to kill Java Ferns, which I didn't think was possible.
PNWaquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:49 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
ppo8820's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 393
I love looking at a saltwater tank, but that being said, I just dont think we can really re-create what the ocean does naturally. SW is just too much work, the fish and equipment cost so much compared to fresh, and there is the whole mixing water.

Ive had salt in the past, but I wont again. I am a freshie all the way and I enjoy it that way.
__________________

__________________
ppo8820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fresh, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fresh to the fresh water family. NEVERLAND Member Introductions 27 02-23-2013 07:08 AM
Newbie to salt water trying to convert from fresh to salt water Jj49er Saltwater Reef Aquaria 5 08-24-2012 11:54 AM
Fresh to Salt to Fresh again CherylOK Member Introductions 3 01-12-2010 05:59 PM
Is salt the same as salt the same as salt??? sushiluver Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 05-12-2006 01:06 AM
Salt, Salt, or Salt? oh and PH fish_4_all Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 16 05-22-2005 05:50 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.