Salt v Fresh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, plants can be a real money pit. I've even managed to kill Java Ferns, which I didn't think was possible.

You and me both! In getting new leafs that grow up to 2 inches tall and then start getting holes in them :(

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

(y)
I like fw tanks too but if I ever did another fw tank it would have to be something challenging and different. I guess I'm just a salty through and through lol :p

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Lol ?. I'm peacefully holding out for a relocation next year and then it's the 265g FW and the 300g SW build. The 300 will be ordered so it arrives at the new house leaving just 11 tanks to move ?.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

To the original question, I don't think it's like Ford vs Rolls ... It's apples vs oranges.

They are two different but similar hobbies.

If someone gave me $10,000 to spend on a new aquarium, I'd stick with freshwater. I simply have no desire to try saltwater. Like many others have mentioned, I couldn't give up plants.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

+1 I just don't have the desire for salt water. I like to read about the tanks and the requirements just for pleasure. I could probably hold my own in a basic discussion but I'd still have a lot to learn. Luckily i enjoy learning.

I really can't put my finger on it why SW doesn't do it for me. I'm not even interested in high light plants and co2 for fresh.....yet. I'm still learning anyways. There's always stuff to learn and I feel like I'm only scratching the surface with freshwater and I don't want to go off on a tangent. I'm very much like that at home or work. I never start something else until I've completed the current task.

This may be an opinion formulated on ignorance but it seems to me that SW tanks all look the same. Some sand, Bit of rock, the odd coral and some colourful fish fish.

Wait...I think I've got it....it's because they are too active! Fish zipping in and out of rock. I like slow moving inquisitive fish. That's why African cichlid tanks always make me turn away when I look at them. Too much going on. :D

+1 I just don't have the desire for salt water. I like to read about the tanks and the requirements just for pleasure. I could probably hold my own in a basic discussion but I'd still have a lot to learn. Luckily i enjoy learning.

I really can't put my finger on it why SW doesn't do it for me. I'm not even interested in high light plants and co2 for fresh.....yet. I'm still learning anyways. There's always stuff to learn and I feel like I'm only scratching the surface with freshwater and I don't want to go off on a tangent. I'm very much like that at home or work. I never start something else until I've completed the current task.

This may be an opinion formulated on ignorance but it seems to me that SW tanks all look the same. Some sand, Bit of rock, the odd coral and some colourful fish fish.

Wait...I think I've got it....it's because they are too active! Fish zipping in and out of rock. I like slow moving inquisitive fish. That's why African cichlid tanks always make me turn away when I look at them. Too much going on. :D

If you put it like that then all fresh water tanks look the same as well :p

I think the big thing with sw that makes me so interested is the complexity of the ecosystem. Yes on the surface you may see the tangs and angels and such swimming around rapidly but when you move past that and really look at a reef tank there's so much diversity. Between symbiotic relationships and all the mini critters that make things work it's fascinating.

My gf was looking at both my fresh and reef tank last night and goes: "your fw tank is much more calming than your reef but your reef tank excites me more". Thought that summed things up nicely.

Between symbiotic relationships and all the mini critters that make things work it's fascinating.

Thats a good way of putting it. Here's a pic I took of what most people don't get to see when there's pictures of salt tanks.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418574601959.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418574601959.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 64
I get a joy out of both of them. I like the lab side of saltwater & the corals thriving from a frag. I like freshwater for the easy water change & the African cichlids for their color & personality, history of the lakes. I have the best of both words.

Also, with project like BioRock USA - Lauderdale-By-The-Sea We are heading in the right direction. Coral farms for villages is awesome. As well lake malawi aquaponics project and other parts of the world. Aquaponics International Work - Morning Star Fishemen There still be hope for mankind.

I also don't have the desire for a sw tank, not that it intimidates me but I have this notion that it's hard to duplicate the sw environment and this is coming from someone that kept sw fish for over a decade and it's not that I had failures, some of my fish lived in my tanks many years.
I personally don't feel there's enough we can do that will bring the true environment fish or inverts need for them to thrive and they would be under constant stress but that's just my opinion and not necessarily a fact.
Also some the practices used to catch sw is a turn off which I'm sure some of it has changed and then the cost of the stock is enough to make me walk away.
Again, this is all just my personal opinion and the reason I won't keep salt water fish anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ah the question of life, :)

Why are there Rolls Royce and Fords, because people want them, and because people are different and like different things. Some people will make a tank out of practically nothing while the next person needs nothing but the best.

That is human nature, and if everyone was told they could magically have any tank they wanted people would pick different things, just like a vehicle, pick anything you want, and not everyone would want a RR.

I admire many SW set ups and love to see the aquascaping champion competitors tanks. So many are amazing. As for the competitive nature of the aquascaping, very expensive setups for most. Initial cost would rival SW tank.

But what you might like to see, could be drastically different from what you would want to keep. I like my tanks to be easy to care for/keep.

Why does anyone need to be a snob, FW or SW. I have been "dismissed" by "SW people" when I said I raise dwarf shrimp or have a FW tank. There are always those who want to be above the others, be more, do more, spend more. And that's fine with me because I will buy their used stuff and make something awesome out of it, lol.

Greed is also in human nature, like not caring about the long term effects of what is happening in the oceans. But also human nature to care and be responsible like the villagers growing corals and learning how to breed fish and sustainably catch fish, and the hobbyist sharing amazing things to further excite the long term growth of a HUGE industry/trade and hobby.

I like smallish low tech planted tanks right now with inverts... my first shrimp
60074-albums9764-picture36790.jpg
that is inspiration.

but I just got hooked on (smallish) SW reef tanks big time because of these
60074-albums14227-picture68034.jpg

60074-albums14227-picture68031.jpg

SOOOOOO cool!
They are so amazing to be able to see every day. I feel blessed to be able to keep these things in my home. And try to share the enthusiasm all around.

How lucky /fortunate, hard working, creative, are we that we are free to keep this kind of a hobby going? So I prefer both the luxury vehicle and the working man's car, but I don't want to pay full price for either ;D And very happy to have the choice to do both.

Just spent the last half hour trying to find this dead post, can someone tell me where Aquaria off topic is listed, above please...........thanks

I feel I may be in the minority on this one - I've had fresh and salt and salt is the way for me. While we can't duplicate the ocean, there's no question in my mind over whether many creatures living in the ocean can live and thrive in closed environments. Careful selection and maintenance are unfortunately not a given, which may be a turn off for some people looking in in the hobby, but every individual who takes the time to learn their stuff can help improve the industry and reputation!

I agree with Autumn and Bribo, everyone will have a different personal opinion and choice on aquariums. Lifestyle, commitments, money, personal appeal, and location all factor in.

Costs are different, but it's important to see the range in both sides. You can build a 3g reef for $250 or a 10g fw for the same. The price will be the same but everyone will choose differently.

Back
Top Bottom