Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #1

Salt water or cichlids??

I can't decide what I want my next tank to be, either Malawi cichlids or a salt-water set-up, I guess this is kinda like a vote lol.

Also
How much does it cost to maintain a salt water set-up on a weekly basis?

Other info:
Hopefully I'll be getting a brand new 4ft long 90-120(still undecided) gallon tank at the end of the month, this will be the tank I'll be using thx for any replies

Old 03-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Moved to Aquaria Off Topic. You should get more responses here.

A salt water tank will undoubtedly cost you much, much more up front. The continuing costs aren't too bad for a FOWLR, but for a reef you'll be looking at bulb replacements every 6-9 months unless you go LED. That kind of stuff can really add up.

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Agree with above, its not so much the long term maintanance as it is the initial set-up. Unless you are one of those who has to have all the new toys and gadgets that come out - then weekly up keep can get real expensive, and if you go reef and you get into collecting certain corals then weekly upkeep goes through the roof .

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #4

Ok thanks for the replies looks like I'm gonna go for the cichlids
Old 03-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had chiclids in my 1st tank. I went salt water after 6-7 months. I have never had such joy in what I get from my SW tank. The colors, the life, and of course the challenges. FW is nice, but nothing like owning your own lil piece of the sea. Like something you cut out of a 3D picture and placed in your home.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kio707
I had chiclids in my 1st tank. I went salt water after 6-7 months. I have never had such joy in what I get from my SW tank. The colors, the life, and of course the challenges. FW is nice, but nothing like owning your own lil piece of the sea. Like something you cut out of a 3D picture and placed in your home.
And now I'm tempted to get salt water again lol, i think deep down I want a salt water tank lol.
The colours and the different Fish and shrimp is what makes me want to get one, and I think salt water will get me more involved, my fw setup basically runs itself now apart from the water changes.
If you don't mind me asking, how much a week do you spend on salt and things like that?
Old 03-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

here is a quick calculation a guy did for seeing how much he was paying for water you should read it

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...er-137331.html
Old 03-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHead707
here is a quick calculation a guy did for seeing how much he was paying for water you should read it

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...er-137331.html
Thank you, That helped a lot, so making my own ro water is the way forward. I just watched a video on how they work and seems simple enough, and looks like installing one couldn't be easier.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

im looking into getting SW also so i found that to be very reassuring and let me know that RO/DI unit is worth investing in, instead of buying premixed from the lfs
Old 03-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHead707
im looking into getting SW also so i found that to be very reassuring and let me know that RO/DI unit is worth investing in, instead of buying premixed from the lfs
Yeah I didn't fancy a trip to the Lfs every time I need a water change or top up lol, it's quite a distance from home.

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, ich, salt, salt water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com