Salt water or cichlids??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrwizard

Aquarium Advice Freak
I can't decide what I want my next tank to be, either Malawi cichlids or a salt-water set-up, I guess this is kinda like a vote lol.

Also
How much does it cost to maintain a salt water set-up on a weekly basis?

Other info:
Hopefully I'll be getting a brand new 4ft long 90-120(still undecided) gallon tank at the end of the month, this will be the tank I'll be using :) thx for any replies :)

Moved to Aquaria Off Topic. You should get more responses here. :)

A salt water tank will undoubtedly cost you much, much more up front. The continuing costs aren't too bad for a FOWLR, but for a reef you'll be looking at bulb replacements every 6-9 months unless you go LED. That kind of stuff can really add up.

Agree with above, its not so much the long term maintanance as it is the initial set-up. Unless you are one of those who has to have all the new toys and gadgets that come out - then weekly up keep can get real expensive, and if you go reef and you get into collecting certain corals then weekly upkeep goes through the roof ;).

Ok thanks for the replies :) looks like I'm gonna go for the cichlids :)

I had chiclids in my 1st tank. I went salt water after 6-7 months. I have never had such joy in what I get from my SW tank. The colors, the life, and of course the challenges. FW is nice, but nothing like owning your own lil piece of the sea. Like something you cut out of a 3D picture and placed in your home.

Kio707 said:
I had chiclids in my 1st tank. I went salt water after 6-7 months. I have never had such joy in what I get from my SW tank. The colors, the life, and of course the challenges. FW is nice, but nothing like owning your own lil piece of the sea. Like something you cut out of a 3D picture and placed in your home.

And now I'm tempted to get salt water again lol, i think deep down I want a salt water tank lol.
The colours and the different Fish and shrimp is what makes me want to get one, and I think salt water will get me more involved, my fw setup basically runs itself now apart from the water changes.
If you don't mind me asking, how much a week do you spend on salt and things like that?

im looking into getting SW also so i found that to be very reassuring and let me know that RO/DI unit is worth investing in, instead of buying premixed from the lfs

BHead707 said:
im looking into getting SW also so i found that to be very reassuring and let me know that RO/DI unit is worth investing in, instead of buying premixed from the lfs

Yeah I didn't fancy a trip to the Lfs every time I need a water change or top up lol, it's quite a distance from home.

Back
Top Bottom