Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2011, 09:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
"most fish in aquariums are either mass bred ... or taken from the wild."
Where else would you get fish? And I agree with Rookie, how on earth does not selling a fish save a puppy or kitten?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonknight

how on earth does not selling a fish save a puppy or kitten?
I'm not saying I'm agreeing with this, but my interpretation is that since fish are mass bred, people think it's ok to mass breed puppies (puppy mills). So by reducing the amount of fish sold, they think it will set an example for puppy mills. Idk if that's right or not but that's what I'm getting out of, I don't necessarily agree with it

Old 06-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know, I don't get their reasoning on this either. It's just something that popped up in the news feed on my phone and hopefully will not be actually taken seriously or be considered in the future.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Same here ^, however I would agree with a law that requires you to prove that you can take care of the fish
Old 06-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

True, some LFS out there, I'm sorry to say, are just out there for the money itself. They don't tell customers about cycling, or what could go wrong, or incompatibility. This is why we need, no not more responsible fish owners, but more responsible employees at the LFS that need them.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wonder if this law will put shops like Aqua Forest Aquarium out of business too? Maybe they'll move up to Marin so I don't have to cross the GGB to shop there .
Old 06-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its okay, this is a poorly written law that will probably need some major revising and editing before it can be put into place.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #18
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishkeeper26 View Post
Same here ^, however I would agree with a law that requires you to prove that you can take care of the fish
I wouldn't... we have too many laws as it is now. We have laws regarding fishing, catching fish for aquarium use, etc...

The fact of the matter is, the way this is written, it is to 'save the puppies'.... it's not going to in any way.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

You think it's okay to mistreat fish? And idk if it's the law or the article thats poorly written
Old 06-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Newbie

No, but laws will only burden the hobby... it's illegal to mistreat children, but it happens every day. Laws only do so much.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com