San Francisco Banned From Selling Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mistreating children is enforced by patents loosing the children. Either way im sure we can all agree mistreating anything living is wrong

I wouldn't... we have too many laws as it is now. We have laws regarding fishing, catching fish for aquarium use, etc...

The fact of the matter is, the way this is written, it is to 'save the puppies'.... it's not going to in any way.

I would agree with this. In a society that is already too litigious and over-legislated, Ca and SF in particular seem to take it to an extreme... all on the taxpayer's dime. The last thing this hobby needs are more laws aimed at consumers and pet stores. If we are going to legislate anything, it ought to be aimed at the suppliers and their collection methods... but even that would require some convincing on my part to agree with it.

The Dilemma Deepens...

Oh my...guys this just got even worse and more ridiculous.
And this time, it's from a credible news source. The LA Times...check out these two articles written by them.

Pet-sales ban: San Francisco considers banning the sale of all pets — even goldfish - latimes.com

San Francisco: The city's latest silly notion is to ban sales of pets - latimes.com

I can't believe it...and what is quite ironic is the fact that San Francisco is named after the saint who is the savior of animals...

Last edited:
See the problem with this law is that it makes sense of paper, however it won't actually works. Because at the end of the second article states that people would just go to neighboring towns to buy pets. This would only hurt the economy of San Francisco, and not solve any animal cruelty issues. So the law wouldn't really solve anything

bruinsbro1997 said:
I know, I don't get why they would even create this law. It's quite dumb really, how they're publicizing this.

I know it's not gonna help and I read in that article how they aren't goona sell feeder rats for snakes just frozen cause it works well truth be told it docent I tried frozen for my boa and he won't even look at it drop a live rat it and BAM supper time a frozen rat would rot before he ate it I even tried tieing a string to it and moving it around no go and same for canned crickets and where would we get them anyway this will drive local pet stores out of business

I think that ban is an abuse from the city board ! Maybe they can set up guidelines regarding goldfish trade at the Carnivals... But they should not have the power to "ban" your right to provide a good shelter to your pets....

It's going to suck for me if this law passes... I bought most of my fishes in the bay area. Although we have a few good LFS here in the valley, I still drive close to an hour to buy better quality fish from the Bay. The only good scenario is if they move to the valley, closer to where I live.

About the goldfish issue, maybe one of the reasons is the fish that you get from the fair as a price or something? I also agree that it doesn't have anything to do with puppies and Kittens.

Thats the truth

Not surprising since to you have to go thru an approval process to get an animal from a shelter and they'll even inspect your home, yard, etc before you can get OK'd for one in SF. SW fish/corals/etc will most likely be added to that list since so many are pulled from their natural habitat. Sad part is, homeless kids have no protection compared to a mutt from the pound, since anyone can have a kid.

That is a shame.

Back
Top Bottom