Sand or rock for a freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It depends on what you are into. I love the look of sand and the fact that waste doesn't fall in between the rocks and just sits on top of the sand. Also bottom dwellers love it cause it's not as coarse as rocks.

So in my opinion, sand for sure

After a little research I will never buy sand for a LFS again. I have play sand in my 55. It's okay but a little too fine for my liking. I also use sand blasting sand and I love it. It's big enough to where it won't be stirred up so quick. So my recommendation would be Black diamond 20/40 grit sand blasting sand.

Crewless said:
Sounds realy good :) what types of sand should i use ?

Pool Filter sand is good. A little more coarse than play sand. You can buy it at any swimming pool suplies store. I think Lowes and Home Depot sell some but it might have some additives that are not good for fish. Just plain pool filter sand, 50lb bag will cost around $10. I have it in my 2 fresh water tanks. It is easy to keep it clean, just vacuum it holding vacuum a little bit above the surface of the sand. There is always some sand being sucked in but not more than a table spoon every water change.

If you ask me, there are no cons to having sand. All pros. I bought 40 lbs of cichlid sand for about $60. A few days later I had my son at toys r us, and they have reeeaaalllyyy nice whiteish sand. Lowes only carries quick krete which I find only comes in a boring brown. So check the toy stores first, I feel like you may have a little more color option. Just my theory!

And that's IF you go play sand route.

Sand! Looks natural. Although the stuff I got took me absolute ages to clean before I put it in my tank.

And it still slightly clouded the water :(

Back
Top Bottom