saved from a pet shop tank fail!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tigerosx

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got to adopt this fella from the pet shop by my house. They run one filtration system for all 50 tanks and what do u know apparently over night the turned super cloudy and all the fish were dieing, shaking my head just thinking about it.. They didn't know what to do or how to fix the situation except dump chemicals that they didn't even know the name of what they were using ??? and more were floating belly up by the minute. so I pleaded with the manager if u don't know how to resolve it all ur fish will be dead for sure as the lady running it was scooping out hundreds of dead fish. So she let be rush this convict home to a safe place and he's doing just fine!!

ForumRunner_20120927_091106.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
lol nice save. I love making the workers there feel like idiots when they think they know eveything there is to know

Haha if there was an infection that caused the water to turn milky white that would be scary.. It was bad water filtration system took a crap

A lot of times when u have too many fish, and over stocked the filtration can't keep up with waste, ammonia builds up, tank water turns white. Running off one system for the amount of fish they had... I doubt it was big enough.

I edited your last post for language.

I understand how central filtration systems work, and I know that this particular company uses them in all of their stores. They do know what they are doing, even if the employees at the time may be clueless to the issue at hand. The stores generally have decent reviews regarding stock quality, so it leads me to a conclusion that there is something more going on here than some random people that walked into a huge central filtration system and have no idea how to stock it.

Ammonia buildup doesn't turn the water white, if anything there'd be an algae bloom. The cloudy water could've been from someone tossing out all the biological filtration, using a med to nuke some sort of disease (which in turn nuked the biofilter), or the presence of a large amount of decomposing organics (lots of dead fish). This means that a disease could still be a very real culprit behind the issues going on. Also the stress that a fish was under in that system could cause a myriad of different 'diseases' to manifest, so any fish coming out of that system should be under a heavy quarantine period.

I disagree when people say they "rescued" a fish from a fish store. If you bought an unhealthy fish in the first place, that promotes the sale of unhealthy fish. When you only buy the fish, you are just opening a space for them to stock more. A better way to help the fish in poor conditions would be to complain to managers and make suggestions. You shouldn't pay them money to promote stocking fish in unhealthy conditions. There is nothing wrong with having a central filtration system other than the risk of disease breakouts. Most of the better LFSs with central filtration are pretty proactive at quarantining sick (or sick looking) as soon as possible, to hopefully prevent a breakout. When people buy sick fish to "help" them, they are only making room for more fish to takes its place. I would not even buy sick looking fish because they can infect your whole tank.

Thanks for the edit.. And yes ur right ammonia doesn't cause water to turn directy how ever high ammonia can trigger a bloom of unhealthy bacteria.. And if u have excessive waste your ammonia is going to be high. Simply put he's fine. This store as brand new btw new tank syndrome could also cause this

maxwellag said:
I disagree when people say they "rescued" a fish from a fish store. If you bought an unhealthy fish in the first place, that promotes the sale of unhealthy fish. When you only buy the fish, you are just opening a space for them to stock more. A better way to help the fish in poor conditions would be to complain to managers and make suggestions. You shouldn't pay them money to promote stocking fish in unhealthy conditions. There is nothing wrong with having a central filtration system other than the risk of disease breakouts. Most of the better LFSs with central filtration are pretty proactive at quarantining sick (or sick looking) as soon as possible, to hopefully prevent a breakout. When people buy sick fish to "help" them, they are only making room for more fish to takes its place. I would not even buy sick looking fish because they can infect your whole tank.
I did not support or promote unhealthy sales I adopted, they gave him to me for free since the water was in poor condition and the fish were dieing, :) I agree with u

I simply ignore everything pet shop workers have to say. But one did tell me about a cool LFS that I didn't know about.

Back
Top Bottom