Saw something horrible today!!! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Convict2161 said:
Well this has to stop!!! I'm going to start up a site or something. I'll have to sit down and brown storm this. But I think this is a fight I wanna take on.

Some like them, some don't. I don't really care either way. Can't get them anywhere but America. There are heaps of threads/debates about them here on AA.

Just makes me mad. Like now what there doing to pitbulls. There tattooing there dogs!! What's this world coming to!!

Death by Dyeing.org - Shades of death

The first thing we can do is not shop at stores that sell dyed fish. Then we can tell all our friends why we don't shop there and why they shouldn't either.

Very interesting info, pics and source links are all dead tho...

There is a big difference between Glofish and dyed fish. Glofish have a gene added to the egg which really causes no harm, and the offspring of said fish carries on the gene, therefore the process was minimally done and the actual modification probably never needs to be done again (the fish take over from here on in). Physically harming anything that cant fight back or voice it's own is just wrong. On top of it all, it isn't even good art. Looks like a 2nd grader grabbed a crayon and drew on it. Pointless in my mind. I bet most end up in a tiny bowl also...

I'd get punched in the face if I brought one of those poor fish home

I have 20 Glofish and love them. Did a lot of research before picking them up and according to what I read and remembered, They were modified for water testing many years ago, and the company eventually saw a profitable market and patented them and began selling to the public. They were never harmed in the process, so i personally am ok with it although its a big question of morals. To play with mother nature or not is the question, and I still have mixed thoughts on that (nothing good usually ever comes from it). Also I have read peoples concerns about if they got out into the wild, they could bring down the "normal" danio population and some were scared of the possibility of them being crossbred to eventual extinction, but IMO their colors make them such clear targets for any predator that I cant see that being a problem, but who knows...

StevesPrettyCool said:
Very interesting info, pics and source links are all dead tho...

There is a big difference between Glofish and dyed fish. Glofish have a gene added to the egg which really causes no harm, and the offspring of said fish carries on the gene, therefore the process was minimally done and the actual modification probably never needs to be done again (the fish take over from here on in). Physically harming anything that cant fight back or voice it's own is just wrong. On top of it all, it isn't even good art. Looks like a 2nd grader grabbed a crayon and drew on it. Pointless in my mind. I bet most end up in a tiny bowl also...

I'd get punched in the face if I brought one of those poor fish home

Sad about the dead pics but the basic info is good. Yes glofish are genetically modified and though I don't care for it, the glofish people are not committing animal cruelty IMHO.

Back to the dyeing. From what I understand, there were people actively fighting it 12 to 16 years ago. They really made a dent in it, but recently it has returned stronger than ever. In some places you aren't allowed to do it, but no country bans the sale AFAIK. Why anyone would want to put the bizarre colors on a naturally beautiful living thing, I don't know. Sadly, the human-created blood parrots and balloon mollies are frequent dyeing victims. That seems like a double whammy for these little guys to me since they already have some problems of form over function.

I'm guessing that most of the people who buy dyed fish don't know how to provide optimal homes for them. So I wouldn't be surprised about overstocked/too small accommodations during their usually short, painful lives.

They're balloon mollies, too... that deformity in and of itself is cruel, IMO, but tattooed balloon mollies is just an added dimension of FAIL. The green Glofish brand tetra is garish and tacky to me, but nowhere near the level of cruelty of dyed and/or tattooed fish. Whether GM or dyed/tattooed, they're not making it anywhere near my fishroom. ;)

Let's please keep this thread on topic. Discussing your opinions of the fish is fine, but chit chat and off topic discussion does not belong here. Thank you.

Could this be?!?! Tattooed fish?! For Valentines Day?!? Fish had hearts tattooed on them!!!!!!!!

NOWAY!?!? For real?! Big sign! Get you Valentine special!! Tattooed fish!! I almost threw up!!

Is this a joke?!

(very mad)

This makes me very sad to hear. This should be banned or labeled as animal cruelty imo

I agree with all of you guys/girls it's cruel and wrong and to think about the person who came up with this makes me want to throw up!!!!!

StevesPrettyCool said:
Physically harming anything that cant fight back or voice it's own is just wrong.

Aaahhh! So... are my fish wrong for gobbling up the brine shrimp, or am I wrong for hatching and feeding them to my fish? lol jk

Seriously though, tattooing and dyeing animals is abhorrent. I only have one pet store out of four near me that doesn't order those kinds of things and they get all my business. I saw the owner actually cry a little when he found a newly arrived cockateel dead one morning. The man cares about the animals in his care. He gets top marks in my book.

Back
Top Bottom