Saw something terrible.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bud29

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was looking at fish tanks, and I noticed these things called betta vases. It's like a 1 gallon vase that you put flowers in and then a betta to swim around the flower stems! I was appalled. I have been watching and nobody has bought one yet. I hope it stays that way. That's horrible!

Those were very popular about 10 years ago. Infact, I still have 2 of my betta vases. Betta are no longer in them but the plants are. I'm going to take that same idea and do it with my 10g betta tank.

Why would anyone want to keep a living organism in an enclosure that small?

I was told it was ok. You know the standard...betta thrive in smaller tank mumbo jumbo. Until I joined this sire and really became serious about keeping fish did I learn how false that was

Betta condo

Thats a heck of alot better than the little plastic cups that the stores kerp these poor fish in on the shelf. The cups are about 5 inches across by 2 inches high. Should not even be allowed!

I never bought the Betta vase but I did fall into the trap of a Betta not needing much space, a 1g is just fine. If I'm not mistaken people who bought the Betta vases were typically told they didn't need to feed the fish because it would eat off the roots of the plant. Eventually the roots would grow so much the Betta if it survived for very long, couldn't get to the top for air. Since I started 6 months ago I have learned a lot and none of mine are in anything smaller than a 10g. The smallest I'd ever go is a 5g. I see the difference in the behavior of Bettas from being in the 1g to now being in the bigger tanks, they're so HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY.

Oh yeah. People see these pretty fish just 'sitting' in a vase and say to themselves oh what a pretty decoration. But put them in a tank and they start swimming around, fins a flowing and personalities come out. I had mine in a 5 gallon bow front and she was so pretty.

shellieca said:
If I'm not mistaken people who bought the Betta vases were typically told they didn't need to feed the fish because it would eat off the roots of the plant.

I had heard that, but my mom said that I should still feed the betta twice a week. I would change the water three times a week to. I actually had one betta live for over a year. Not sure how!

smomus said:
I had heard that, but my mom said that I should still feed the betta twice a week. I would change the water three times a week to. I actually had one betta live for over a year. Not sure how!

I have a male betta that I have had for 2 years now. I have no idea how...

smomus said:
It lived because you took care of it even though it was in a small space, changing the water & feeding it.

At my LFS they hae a display thing that is like a little village scene and at one end is a mini betta bowl thing thats about 2 in high and at the most 3 in wide with this huge betta n it
Sad

I'm not going to lie. My first fish was a crowntail who lived for 2 years in a one liter condo thing. At the time I thought everything was good, my that was failure on my behalf for not researching. I did change his water daily though. Not for his sake, but because I didn't like the dirty water. I feel so bad thinking back to my baby lars. Now I know better and have my sons crowntail in a 10 gal. I never really liked bettas because I thought they were "boring". Little did I know that the only reason he was "boring " is because he probably hated life in that tiny thing! I love my betta and he is far from boring when given the space to show off!

bud29 said:
No worries......my first fish were 2 fantail goldfish in a 5:eek:

After about an 8 year absence from keeping fish, my steep/expensive learning curve was with a 5 gallon stocked with 5 cardinal tetras and 2 emerald green cory cats. After they died I was advised to get 2 male mollies.

Back
Top Bottom