scheduled chats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scheduled Chats? Yay or Nay!

• Yay!

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Nay!

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jacko

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm a chat type person, I love getting to speak to people on a more direct line.

So my idea is (not really my idea, i've been seeing it implemented more and more across the web) is to make a scheduled chat once a week on a pre-arranged subject (Reef, planted, FOWLR, SA/CA cichlids, asian fish, etc.) with people experienced in those subjects commit to a couple hours to answer questions on the subject.
So say on Friday, Saturday or Sunday (or whatever works out best) for 4 or 5 hours we have tha chat on the predetermined subject which gives people a chance to hop on and get a quick answer to a small question that has been bugging them for a while or get large-scale advice on it.

Of course, there will still be tons of fun in there too, you can still have fun while your at it too.

Just an idea...
:BIG:
(I've really been wanting to use that smiley ;))

I've been recommending this for quite some time and willing to jump on the bandwagon once again :)

Great idea! It would be a good way for people like me whom are pretty new in a way to the site maybe some even to the hobby to get in a chat with someone who has say over 1000 posts or 500 or something like this. It would be a good way to sit down in a sense, one on one or even in small numbers to be able to talk to people who have experience on this site in particular or in the hobby!

lol just got to get people in there more often and you can talk all day long about anything you want lol. a Q&A type set up is nice at times too.

So is this going to end up a lost thread or should we at least schedule something and get the ball rolling:

Date:
Time:
Topic:

I'm still all for it, but it's dependant on other people's input. How long do you think it should go for? 12 to... 4 pacific time? And then, what should the first topic be? General setup, FW, SW, ponds (getting into that season), cichlids, tetras.... any suggestions? We'd also need some experienced people willing to commit an hour or two to helping on the subject, since I'm more of a lurker here I'm not sure who would be best to ask...

Anyway, if we get it all set I'm all for next saturday.

I think it is a very good idea to have scheduled chats. I will talk to the site staff and see if we can have something done about a "notice/sign up" type thing on the main forum page. We have an excellent chat feature that is rarely used. With chat you can get live help right away as well as get into some great discussion about tanks.

It is a great idea, too bad no one's in the scheduled chat for today; although, the time given was Thursday, 5/20/09 XD

So is there going to be another scheduled or was the first also the last? XD

i agree. Why don't you just throw out a time innovator. I don't think it has to be so formal. I'm sure the mods will make an announcement for you like last time.

Why don't we make it like a weekly or bi-weekly or a monthly thing. Like every Wednesday at 9pm eastern, or every other Wednesday, or every 15th of the month.

Id say do them as much as possible so more people have a chance of making one. I missed the last one. I was planning on making it but was still at work. I will try and make the next one.

Maybe I can learn a few things about saltwater tanks.. I would love to start up one but I need help cause I have never done one before and I hear it takes alot of work..

IMO Friday's would be best since majority of people do not have to worry about work the next day; however, understanding many do go out on Fridays as well. Maybe something along the lines of every Friday or bi-weekly (or whatever day) at 8pm eastern with a month-long topic so everyone has 2-4 chances to participate? This way those that have lives can pop in early, participate, and still go out if they have plans.

Just throwing out some ideas. Maybe a Topic poll for fw and sw combined?

Back
Top Bottom