Score..... Pics added..... 4/1/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I was doing some pre-yardwork cleanup of leaves, etc, and decided to dig up the red brick and see how much I really had. There was a lot burried in the yard from the previous owners, like old carpeting, bowling balls, tile, etc, and had most of it cleaned up a couple years ago. Some of it was burried over 6 feet deep, lol. So today, I started getting up the red brick that was used for some landscaping, as well as some that was burried. They are now on my porch, and I have a grand total of 325 red brick, lol. Might even be more, but I'm too tired to go on today, lol. Will do more tomorrow, after my morning of Commodities trading.

So now my question is, what sites are out there that can help me in decide on what kinds of landscaping I can do, and to incorporate things like the red brick, a ton of white quartz, and a couple other rather large rocks that I can't move, lol. I have 1 white quartz rock at the corner of my yard that I think is probably near 1200lbs, maybe more, lol. It's BIG. And Beautiful. So, any landscapers out there that know of any sites that might help me in getting started?

I'm also looking at building a large deck. Gonna look for some sites on the contruction of decks as well, as well as underground sprinklers, etc.

Yup...

The yard looks kind of trashed from when I had the 70' White Fir taken down in the front yard. I have 2 other trees I need to take down as well. Then I'm going to put in another tree, not sure what yet, but something that grows fairly fast, and is a good shade tree.

Another thing I worked on today was Ebay. I got myself a Reciprocating Saw, a Circular Saw, and a Jig Saw. Still looking for a deal on a drill and a sander. Once I get all the stuff I need, will start my aquarium stand and canopy projects. :)

Gonna be a busy summer, lol.....

Edit:

Adding some pics.....
The old building is my neighbors garage. Not mine, lol.
yard1.jpg

yard2.jpg

yard3.jpg

yard4.jpg

yard5.jpg

yard6.jpg

yard7.jpg

Solid White Quartz....
yard8.jpg

yard9.jpg

yard10.jpg

More White Quartz....
yard11.jpg

yard12.jpg

Wow, that giant quartz is gorgeous! Oh, the potential for your backyard! It immediately reminded me of that BBC show "Ground Force" where a landscape crew comes in and completely renovates the backyard space. Except you'll be doing it yourself, so there will need to be a "planted yard-scaping" thread now. :D

That's not my back yard, lol. It's my front yard, lol. I'm also shortening the fence. I like the privacy, but want it shorter. It's how it was when I bought the house. lol

I wonder why the previous owners buried so much nice brick? That large quartz is quite a find. That will be a great focal point. I think it would look nice with a perennial fountain grass behind it and maybe some yellow melampodium annuals in front of it.

Are you going to build a pond?

Here is a google search for landscaping: Some links look like the idea type and some are for software to help design a yard. I saw a software package in Costco for doing your own designs.

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+...org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a

I was thinking of doing a couple of ponds, but not sure if I want the extra maintenance. Was going to have a smaller pond up on a small hill and have it flowing down into a larger pond. It's still in the thinking process. I'm also looking at putting in a deck. I'll have it go out to where the gate is in the fence, and all the way over to the edge of the house. So it will be about 10 feet out, and about 25-30 feet wide. Could even have a section go off the main deck to the pond and surround them. Would be cool. But I have to learn how to do it myself first, lol.

As for the white quartz rock, not sure if I want to keep it out in the corner of the yard, or move it elsewhere. What do you think?

Edit:
Here's one of my plans I'm working on. The deck is as stated above in size. Alo, debating on the entry being either centered with the door of the house and a little wider, or having 2 entries from the front, one on the left side and one on the right side, and then the other entry which goes to the gate that goes to the back yard. Also, I'm debating if I want the red brick for a sidewalk from the fence to the deck entry, or all the way around the deck to the gate on the side of the house that goes to the back yard. And the deck will be flush with the entry to the house, which is about 10 inches above the ground. So it will be a low deck.

I was also thinking of maybe not extending the deck all the way to the main gate to the yard from the driveway, and have a row of shrubs, etc, between the brick sidewalk and the deck. Ideas, ideas, ideas. There's just so many ideas, lol.

Oh, and another thing. The large white quartz rock isn't sitting on the ground. It's partially buried, lol. Just to give a better idea of the size. lol.

Here's the pic.....
yard13.jpg

I think it's going to look awesome. Sorry I can't offer any tips or antyhing, but nice find in the yard. :) Brick is expensive, it's nice you got it for free!

Wow LWB if this thread unfolds like any of your tank threads I will be enjoying it alot.

GL with this project LWB!!

P.S. if your finding bowling balls at 6 feet.........I would be afraid of what you might find if you were to dig any deeper :)

Lonewolfblue said:
That's not my back yard, lol. It's my front yard, lol.
Oops. :oops:

If you move the quartz, where will you move it? It would be neat as a centerpiece with a pond around it. You could make yourself a nice little English garden there. Regardless, I'm jealous of your found treasures. ;)

We (meaning just me) will be redoing our front yard landscaping in the next few weeks. I would look into local greenhouses about landscaping suggestions. Many have very good services for cheap. I ended up paying for an hour long consultation with a landscape designer. For 50 dollars we discussed of basically what my wife and I like plant wise , how much time we wanted on upkeep, etc.... Then we recieved a basic drawing on graph paper of the layout and plantings. It isn't to scale but very close. The designer stepped off the house, drive, sidewalk, etc... and then transferred to graph paper. She intentionally left a few plants to use as planting guides. We were told use these as the starting point and look at the next plant and look up maximum growth and use this for spacing of the rest of shrubs, ornamental trees, and grasses. Each plant was labeled and she even gave suggestions for replacements if we didn't like them or couldn't find them locally. Finally she quickly answered any questions we had, left a number to contact her and took the time to explain some pruning techniques for a few of our current bushes. One of the best bang for your buck experiences I have had in a long time.

Well, I had ordered a bunch of stuff on Sunday off Ebay, and have already received over half of the stuff I ordered. Man the shipping is fast, lol. May get more stuff tomorrow. :)

Back
Top Bottom