Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2004, 12:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

scuba diving

well when my fiance and i get married we want to go on a honeymoon so we can go scuba diving. (we have never been scuba diving) What are some great places in everyones opinion?

Old 06-04-2004, 12:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depending on the time of year, New England... I've only snorkled up there but my brother does scuba diving and I've seen several PBS specials about marine life and the cold water in New England make for some very diverse life up there. The water is quite cold and not that pretty clear blue that you see on tv but there is a lot to see in the water. Some dive experts will even say it is one of the best places, at least on the eastern seaboard if not the US... but it depends how well you can handle cold water, and like I said, what time of year.

Old 06-04-2004, 01:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i went in hawaii and it was absolutely AMAZING!!!

we just walked right from the back of our resort out into the ocean and a reef was about a 3 minutes swim away.

saw eels, octopus, turtles, and all kinds of awesome stuff.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:26 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Go to the Playa del Carmen/Cancun area of Mexico. You can get great rates at some of the all-inclusive hotels (I can heartily recommend the Riu resort hotels...my family and I stayed at the Riu Playacar and loved it). The world's second largest coral barrier reef is there and my daughter and I snorkeled a small part of it. It was like swimming in a giant aquarium....the variety of fish and invertebrates was incredible!!!!!! The water was crystalline and the corals, shellfish, starfish and sponges were abundant....and fish of all types, shapes and colors were everywhere!!
Old 06-04-2004, 07:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
Florida Keys.

Stay here: http://www.sugarloafrentals.com/

My wife and I stayed in the Conch cottage ( http://www.sugarloafrentals.com/html/conch.html ). They have very good rates and are only 20 minutes away from Key West. There's a long dock and the whole ocean as your backyard. At the end of the dock you'll see barracuda up close and personal, and if you're lucky, a nurse shark or two. Add that to a bunch of cute little lizards (anoles in their native habitat), a whole lot of crabs, and the occasional iguana. Plus the place comes with kayaks if you want to paddle around on the crystal clear calm waters of the ocean and bikes if you want to take a ride. Take a right at the end of the driveway and keep on riding, you'll come to a bike path that leads into the mangroves, with interesting fish and inverts to see. If you are the outdoorsy type, this is definitely the place to check out.

Scuba with these guys: http://www.diveflakeys.com/

No experience required, it was my first time diving and my wife's second. You take a short course and an hour later you are diving. The reefs are protected by law, and pristine. My wife first dove in Belize, and said the reefs in Key West were far more colorful. The diving instructor (if you are not certified you need to dive with an instructor) that went with us was awesome.

You will not be disappointed

Any questions, just ask me!
Old 06-04-2004, 10:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Cozumel. Some of the best reefs in the Carrribean. Going there in July (3rd time is 18 months) great diving.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

awesome, I'm going to save this info. I have been to hawaii, and went swimming in a little cove area, you could reach out and touch all the fish, but it wasn't really a reef i don't think. I was only 10 or something when I went. thanks guys
Old 06-05-2004, 08:48 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
It was suggested to me and my wife that on our honeymoon we not go scuba but instead just go snorkle. The reason was if you had not previously been certified to scuba you have to take a course.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:34 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossv
i went in hawaii and it was absolutely AMAZING!!!

we just walked right from the back of our resort out into the ocean and a reef was about a 3 minutes swim away.

saw eels, octopus, turtles, and all kinds of awesome stuff.
rossv, what resort did you stay in, on which island? Hubby and I are going to Hawaii next year for our anniversary. We only snorkel right now but are thinking about getting certified for scuba.

Thanks.

And God said, "Let the waters swarm with fish and other life..." So God created great sea creatures and every sort of fish... And God saw that it was good. Then God blessed them, saying, "Let the fish multiply and fill the oceans..." Genesis 1:20-22
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com