"Second First Cousin"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can someone explain what a "second first cousin" is? I was out at a yard sale this morning and some woman was talking about her second first cousin.

I looked it up on the net and got all sorts of regulations in different states about marrying cousins/first cousins/second first cousins and then some funky descriptions of what a second first cousin was. I couldn't really follow it though.

Thanks! This is just one of those questions that keeps on bugging me until I figure it out.

I believe it would be your parent's first cousin. But if I'm wrong, be safe and don't marry them
661.gif

ie: Your mom's brother's kid or your mom's first cousin would be your second first cousin. Gets confusing but if not taken into consideration, you could become your own grandma. LOL.

speaking of cousins, I got one for you.

My uncle (my dad's brother), married my 1st cousin, who is my mothers niece. Confused yet.

So does that make her my aunt or my cousin? 8O

BTW, for those that are confused, there is no blood relation between the two.

Your aunt's/uncle's child is your first cousin....your cousin's chiold is your second cousin or your 'first cousin, once removed'....I assume that by 'second first cousin' this is what was meant, although it is not a correct term.

Menagerie, in most countries (and a fair few US states) first cousins are legally permitted to marry.

nope, there is a difference between a first cousin, a second cousin, and a second-first cousin. I looked it up again and this is what I got:

your mother's brother or sister had a child and it married the child of your father's brother or sister. Then the child of that couple would be considered a "second first cousin." According to most state law in the US, you cannot marry a second first cousin, but you can marry a first cousin. Go figure...

My uncle (my dad's brother), married my 1st cousin, who is my mothers niece. Confused yet.

A second first cousin :D well... sorta... since it was your cousin and your uncle (from different sides)... I'm not sure how it works out entirely... this all makes my head hurt.

sounds like they meant First cousin, once removed, rather than 'first second cousin'.

easy mistake, because it takes a degree in geneology to really understand the 'once removed' part of these things.

rubysoho said:
your mother's brother or sister had a child and it married the child of your father's brother or sister. Then the child of that couple would be considered a "second first cousin." According to most state law in the US, you cannot marry a second first cousin, but you can marry a first cousin. Go figure...

Must be a US thing....so a 'second first cousin' would be the result of two first cousins pairing....if you, as a first cousin to both parents were to marry that offspring, the concentration of familial genes would be pretty high....I can see why it would not be permitted.

yup, exactly. I thought they were mistaken when I heard them describe the person as a "second first cousin" but it really does exist!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom