Seriously?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How would there not be a build up ? Yes you do water changes but what do you put in that new " clean " water? Water conditioner .... Not sure how I feel on the subject either way , this point just popped out to me .

jennagsimpson said:
How would there not be a build up ? Yes you do water changes but what do you put in that new " clean " water? Water conditioner .... Not sure how I feel on the subject either way , this point just popped out to me .

But then you're taking it out every time you do a water change and replacing it with the exact same amount?

That was an interesting video, I'm sure useful for saltwater people. He wasn't rinsing the meter in between glasses, so that's why he got a reading of 1 on the RO/DI.

And about Prime being so great, I see it as a highly concentrated product that is backed by a company that is throwing out other great products. The Clarity product worked lovely for me, amoung other things. I feel more comfortable spending my money on brands that actually work than buying a lower-grade dechlorinator that comes from a brand that has caused me to almost throw stuff out of the window (I.E. filters).

Crew said:
I'm just using the Aqueon water conditioner... I feel kinda low class with all this Prime talk.

Lol that's fine as long as u don't have chloramines... I had to switch to the ammonia neutralizer bc I have chloramines. Just bought my first bottle of prime

The ammonia neutralizing effect of Prime is good and all, but a well established tank is going to process the ammonia before it can get to a dangerous level anyhow.

I use sodium thiosulfate to treat my water changes because its 1000x cheaper than Prime, but I do keep Prime handy to treat the shipping water for fish and when I'm out collecting.

chlorine will evap out of water but alot of treatment plants are using chloramines which will NOT evap out and are deadly to fish the only way to eliminate those are through water conditioners
Cl does not evaporate. It does however get broken down by UV light. It also will dissipate over time. There are some major comparisons between chlorine and ORP.
This entire hobby is adding chemicals to a tank and hoping for the best. There is more and more chemistry going into the hobby each and every day.
Chloramines are a combination of Chlorine and Ammonia.

Let me put it like this, if I didn't use a water conditioner every time I do a water change, I would have no reason to change the water. I would have no fish. My water supply uses high concentrations of chlorine, more so during run off from melting snow or during heavy rains. I can smell the chlorine when I turn on the faucet.

I've used Prime for years and have never had any problems with it. Before I stop using a product I trust, I want to see facts. Period.

DragonFish71 said:
Let me put it like this, if I didn't use a water conditioner every time I do a water change, I would have no reason to change the water. I would have no fish. My water supply uses high concentrations of chlorine, more so during run off from melting snow or during heavy rains. I can smell the chlorine when I turn on the faucet.

I've used Prime for years and have never had any problems with it. Before I stop using a product I trust, I want to see facts. Period.

That's true our water sometimes smells like a swimming pool. Lol

I normally put extra WC cause in scared I don't have enough. I think chlorine poisoning would be a terrible way for a fish to die...( other than the neon I squished today ;( )

How fast does water conditioner remove chlorine, is it instant or you need to wait a bit before using?

rsutoratosu said:
How fast does water conditioner remove chlorine, is it instant or you need to wait a bit before using?

It's supposed to instantly

The ammonia neutralizing effect of Prime is good and all, but a well established tank is going to process the ammonia before it can get to a dangerous level anyhow.

Exactly! (y)

That is why using a water conditioner that removes ammonia is pointless. If it's at the beginning of a cycle, you will forever be in that cycle. The only way it makes sense is to use it as a last ditch effort. Like if you have an ammo spike. BUT...that means you have a bigger problem...over-feeding, over-stocking, dead fish somewhere in tank...fix that before trying the miracle cure all.

I stick with API Tap Water Conditioner. No frills or added benefits. Because in reality, if you have a stable tank you will have no need for all of the other things they claim to do.

Ever hear the adage K.I.S.S? = Keep It Simple Stupid ;)

Tarkus2112 said:
Exactly! (y)

That is why using a water conditioner that removes ammonia is pointless. If it's at the beginning of a cycle, you will forever be in that cycle. The only way it makes sense is to use it as a last ditch effort. Like if you have an ammo spike. BUT...that means you have a bigger problem...over-feeding, over-stocking, dead fish somewhere in tank...fix that before trying the miracle cure all.

I stick with API Tap Water Conditioner. No frills or added benefits. Because in reality, if you have a stable tank you will have no need for all of the other things they claim to do.

Ever hear the adage K.I.S.S? = Keep It Simple Stupid ;)

Lol prime leaves the ammonia available for bacteria but detoxifies it to fish. Therefore the tank will cycle buddy

Lol prime leaves the ammonia available for bacteria but detoxifies it to fish. Therefore the tank will cycle buddy

First off, I'm not your buddy guy. :)

Second. Are you really laughing out loud because I missed a technicality? Strange. I appreciate the correction but try not to seem so condescending next time. And to be technical I never said Prime removed ammonia. I said don't use a conditioner that does.

Either way my point is still valid. Ok Prime DETOXIFIES ammonia which shouldn't be there in the first place. In a stable tank that is. I guess using Prime during a fish-in cycle could be useful but what's with all the fishless cycle talk then? :confused:

i would like some actual proof that prime is bad. all we have is this guys word. we see none of his "data". i have never seen any problem with this water conditioner. ive had a few problems with aquasafe, api conditinoner, and with no conditioner at all. if its true, lets see his so called "data"

Tarkus2112 said:
First off, I'm not your buddy guy. :)

Second. Are you really laughing out loud because I missed a technicality? Strange. I appreciate the correction but try not to seem so condescending next time. And to be technical I never said Prime removed ammonia. I said don't use a conditioner that does.

Either way my point is still valid. Ok Prime DETOXIFIES ammonia which shouldn't be there in the first place. In a stable tank that is. I guess using Prime during a fish-in cycle could be useful but what's with all the fishless cycle talk then? :confused:

3/4 of your comment is about it removing ammonia from your tank, so I think I pretty effectively rendered it invalid. And this whole thread is talking about prime, so if you weren't reffering to it then your comment is even more invalid buddy

Actually Dr. Hovanec (on his site) has mentioned that dosing ammonia detoxfiers can actually slow down the cycling process, but I don't know of any actual data done on the subject since it's probably really not in anyone's interest to do so.

I don't have a problem with prime, but one thing you have to remember is that these companies can say basically whatever they want about their products, so taking everything they say for solid facts can be misleading.

Example: Seachem, who makes Prime, also makes Stability, which has been proven to be a snake oil cycling product.

mr.waffles1842 said:
i would like some actual proof that prime is bad. all we have is this guys word. we see none of his "data". i have never seen any problem with this water conditioner. ive had a few problems with aquasafe, api conditinoner, and with no conditioner at all. if its true, lets see his so called "data"

Word .... I just came across that and I was like WHAT???? hahaha

Back
Top Bottom