Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-13-2011, 11:43 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flossie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tx
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish71
Let me put it like this, if I didn't use a water conditioner every time I do a water change, I would have no reason to change the water. I would have no fish. My water supply uses high concentrations of chlorine, more so during run off from melting snow or during heavy rains. I can smell the chlorine when I turn on the faucet.

I've used Prime for years and have never had any problems with it. Before I stop using a product I trust, I want to see facts. Period.
That's true our water sometimes smells like a swimming pool. Lol

I normally put extra WC cause in scared I don't have enough. I think chlorine poisoning would be a terrible way for a fish to die...( other than the neon I squished today ;( )
__________________

__________________
So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that scurries and swarms in the water
Flossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:27 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 0
How fast does water conditioner remove chlorine, is it instant or you need to wait a bit before using?
__________________

__________________
rsutoratosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flossie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tx
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutoratosu
How fast does water conditioner remove chlorine, is it instant or you need to wait a bit before using?
It's supposed to instantly
__________________
So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that scurries and swarms in the water
Flossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Tarkus2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lancaster, Pa
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
The ammonia neutralizing effect of Prime is good and all, but a well established tank is going to process the ammonia before it can get to a dangerous level anyhow.
Exactly!

That is why using a water conditioner that removes ammonia is pointless. If it's at the beginning of a cycle, you will forever be in that cycle. The only way it makes sense is to use it as a last ditch effort. Like if you have an ammo spike. BUT...that means you have a bigger problem...over-feeding, over-stocking, dead fish somewhere in tank...fix that before trying the miracle cure all.

I stick with API Tap Water Conditioner. No frills or added benefits. Because in reality, if you have a stable tank you will have no need for all of the other things they claim to do.

Ever hear the adage K.I.S.S? = Keep It Simple Stupid
__________________
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I or are the others crazy?"
Tarkus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
tarpon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus2112

Exactly!

That is why using a water conditioner that removes ammonia is pointless. If it's at the beginning of a cycle, you will forever be in that cycle. The only way it makes sense is to use it as a last ditch effort. Like if you have an ammo spike. BUT...that means you have a bigger problem...over-feeding, over-stocking, dead fish somewhere in tank...fix that before trying the miracle cure all.

I stick with API Tap Water Conditioner. No frills or added benefits. Because in reality, if you have a stable tank you will have no need for all of the other things they claim to do.

Ever hear the adage K.I.S.S? = Keep It Simple Stupid
Lol prime leaves the ammonia available for bacteria but detoxifies it to fish. Therefore the tank will cycle buddy
__________________
tarpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Tarkus2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lancaster, Pa
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpon View Post
Lol prime leaves the ammonia available for bacteria but detoxifies it to fish. Therefore the tank will cycle buddy
First off, I'm not your buddy guy.

Second. Are you really laughing out loud because I missed a technicality? Strange. I appreciate the correction but try not to seem so condescending next time. And to be technical I never said Prime removed ammonia. I said don't use a conditioner that does.

Either way my point is still valid. Ok Prime DETOXIFIES ammonia which shouldn't be there in the first place. In a stable tank that is. I guess using Prime during a fish-in cycle could be useful but what's with all the fishless cycle talk then?
__________________
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I or are the others crazy?"
Tarkus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
mr.waffles1842's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 986
i would like some actual proof that prime is bad. all we have is this guys word. we see none of his "data". i have never seen any problem with this water conditioner. ive had a few problems with aquasafe, api conditinoner, and with no conditioner at all. if its true, lets see his so called "data"
__________________
"To look left is to look right. To look right is to look up. To look up is to look down." -Anonymous
mr.waffles1842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
tarpon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus2112

First off, I'm not your buddy guy.

Second. Are you really laughing out loud because I missed a technicality? Strange. I appreciate the correction but try not to seem so condescending next time. And to be technical I never said Prime removed ammonia. I said don't use a conditioner that does.

Either way my point is still valid. Ok Prime DETOXIFIES ammonia which shouldn't be there in the first place. In a stable tank that is. I guess using Prime during a fish-in cycle could be useful but what's with all the fishless cycle talk then?
3/4 of your comment is about it removing ammonia from your tank, so I think I pretty effectively rendered it invalid. And this whole thread is talking about prime, so if you weren't reffering to it then your comment is even more invalid buddy
__________________
tarpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:57 PM   #59
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,047
Actually Dr. Hovanec (on his site) has mentioned that dosing ammonia detoxfiers can actually slow down the cycling process, but I don't know of any actual data done on the subject since it's probably really not in anyone's interest to do so.

I don't have a problem with prime, but one thing you have to remember is that these companies can say basically whatever they want about their products, so taking everything they say for solid facts can be misleading.

Example: Seachem, who makes Prime, also makes Stability, which has been proven to be a snake oil cycling product.
__________________
Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flossie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tx
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.waffles1842
i would like some actual proof that prime is bad. all we have is this guys word. we see none of his "data". i have never seen any problem with this water conditioner. ive had a few problems with aquasafe, api conditinoner, and with no conditioner at all. if its true, lets see his so called "data"
Word .... I just came across that and I was like WHAT???? hahaha
__________________

__________________
So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that scurries and swarms in the water
Flossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.