Seriously?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jetajockey said:
Actually Dr. Hovanec (on his site) has mentioned that dosing ammonia detoxfiers can actually slow down the cycling process, but I don't know of any actual data done on the subject since it's probably really not in anyone's interest to do so.

I don't have a problem with prime, but one thing you have to remember is that these companies can say basically whatever they want about their products, so taking everything they say for solid facts can be misleading.

Example: Seachem, who makes Prime, also makes Stability, which has been proven to be a snake oil cycling product.

Oh yeah, I guess I have as much reason to believe this guy as I do to just believe what the bottle says

Oh yeah, I guess I have as much reason to believe this guy as I do to just believe what the bottle says

Considering that the guy is a biologist and has peer reviewed scientific papers on the subject of nitrifying bacteria, I would say he has a little more cred. That coupled with the fact that he helped develop biospira/tetra safestart which have been proven to work compared to Stability which doesn't work by definition.

Then again, in a forum where post count and speed replies are the status quo, actual fresh information that doesn't fit the repetition is probably not worth much.

We use Prime in all of our tanks. Is it overkill? Probably in some, not at all in others. Can it be used as a timeline extender in an emergency? Absolutely. I put a lot of merit into both Gargas and Hovanec, but there are multiple approaches and Gargas is trying to sell his own product too. The old timers and DIY guys use pure chemical diluted. Even cheaper than Prime, but more work. Which is the best method? That is for each aquarist to determine for themselves based on their understanding and experience. Without the experience or in depth chemistry & biology knowledge (not saying I have either) I think Prime is the right approach for 90%+ of hobbyists. JMO.

HN1 said:
We use Prime in all of our tanks. Is it overkill? Probably in some, not at all in others. Can it be used as a timeline extender in an emergency? Absolutely. I put a lot of merit into both Gargas and Hovanec, but there are multiple approaches and Gargas is trying to sell his own product too. The old timers and DIY guys use pure chemical diluted. Even cheaper than Prime, but more work. Which is the best method? That is for each aquarist to determine for themselves based on their understanding and experience. Without the experience or in depth chemistry & biology knowledge (not saying I have either) I think Prime is the right approach for 90%+ of hobbyists. JMO.

I agree I was using cheap stuff until I discover chloramines testing my tap at 1ppm. It definitely comes in handy in these sort of circumstances

3/4 of your comment is about it removing ammonia from your tank, so I think I pretty effectively rendered it invalid. And this whole thread is talking about prime, so if you weren't reffering to it then your comment is even more invalid buddy

If it makes you feel better to be right...I'll let you be... :dance: I have no desire to argue with you over this. I prefer to take the high road and let you be entitled to your opinion because that's all it is...

and the buddy thing was a South Park reference. I hope you at least got that.

oh yeah...one more thing before I go.....[moderator edit]. :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tarkus2112 said:
If it makes you feel better to be right...I'll let you be... :dance: I have no desire to argue with you over this. I prefer to take the high road and let you be entitled to your opinion because that's all it is...

and the buddy thing was a South Park reference. I hope you at least got that.

oh yeah...one more thing before I go.....[moderator edit]. :popcorn:

Haha. It probably does

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify. I didn't mean to offend anyone by my statement. I was merely trying to make light of the situation and bow out gracefully. I don't like E-arguments.

and no hard feelings Tarpon. The internet gets the best of us all sometimes. I should have never posted in here, I don't use Prime therefore my points are invalid. Carry on. :cool:

Reactions: HN1
+1 to you two.
Personally I just started using Prime and I find it gets the job done.
At the same time I don't see why any other water conditioner wouldn't have basically the same effect.
Prime is simply more concentrated I suppose.

My water tests for chloramines
( chlorine/ammonia) I figure PWC are pointless for the Health of my fish if I'm just adding ammonia...1ppm from tap. Prime helps give me the peace of knowing itll be taken care of Without the ammonia affecting my fish

Funny story...

I stopped by the LFS yesterday to pickup some Bio-Max and a few other odds and ends. I am getting low on my water conditioner and they didn't have any on the shelf. So I asked an employee and he said it would be about a week until they get more. I say ok, I'll be good for at least a month.

Then he said it...:facepalm:

"You should really try Prime, it's our best seller and I would recommend it over API. It removes ammonia, blah blah blah." Yes he said "Removes"

I just shook my head and said "no thanks. API has worked fine for months and as the saying goes, if it isn't broke, why fix it?"

He didn't say a word after that. Did I insult him or something by not taking his advice? oh well.

Thought it was funny and kind of ironic. Especially considering this thread and my recent posts... :ROFLMAO:

Funny story...

I stopped by the LFS yesterday to pickup some Bio-Max and a few other odds and ends. I am getting low on my water conditioner and they didn't have any on the shelf. So I asked an employee and he said it would be about a week until they get more. I say ok, I'll be good for at least a month.

Then he said it...:facepalm:

"You should really try Prime, it's our best seller and I would recommend it over API. It removes ammonia, blah blah blah." Yes he said "Removes"

I just shook my head and said "no thanks. API has worked fine for months and as the saying goes, if it isn't broke, why fix it?"

He didn't say a word after that. Did I insult him or something by not taking his advice? oh well.

Thought it was funny and kind of ironic. Especially considering this thread and my recent posts... :ROFLMAO:

You likely didn't insult him at all. He may know the math and had a chuckle after you left the store. ;) Most of the primary water conditioners (not additives) on the market do basically what they say. There are also other conditions and choices that don't involve them. Prime is just the most cost effective / G as far as the conditioners go. JMO/E.

A lot of people think that these water conditioners 'remove' nitrogenous waste rather than just detoxify it, so it's not really a surprise, if anything though it sounds like that worker was at least attempting to give good advice even if they are slightly misinformed.

Prime is definitely the most cost effective of the big brands, and Safe (also a seachem product) is even more cost effective than Prime.

Back
Top Bottom