Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2014, 11:08 PM   #101
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sad news, I kind of wish they sold a simple cd on this stuff. It's a lot to learn when starting off.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:29 AM   #102
Aquarium Advice Regular

Mistake 1) When I was 8 I had a common , comet , 2 shubunkin , and a Black Moor into
A 5G tank. With an UGF. The black moor had to be put into a breeding trap because it was getting bullied.At least I figured out the water change / dechorinator.

Mistake 2) Decided that the 5G was too small , bought a 30 gallon and a massive canister filter. I 'cycled' the tank for a week. Then , to make things worse , I let my Dad bully the pet shop employee into selling us 4 more black moors.

Mistake 3) I then recieved another 30 gallon when I was 9 to set up a tropical community. Used white quartz gravel which ended up absolutely filthy looking.

Mistake 4) When we moved house , I got lazy and just dumped the goldfish into my tropical tank. The goldfish died off one by one , the last one to go was the comet , who died of hole in the head disease.

Mistake 5) Being stupid and 11 years old , I had let my Dad use the siphon gravel cleaner to change the water. He sucked up one of my neon tetras , and thought it was funny to see it swirling around. I rescued it , but it still died.

Mistake 6) Rinsed out the filter a couple of years ago , and forgot to plug it back in .Thank goodness we had 2 filters ...

Mistake 7) Set up automatic fish feeder for when we went on holiday , the flakes got stuck and the sinking pellets didn't come out so my corydoras catfish all died

I've made a lot of mistakes ,but now I don't let my Dad touch the tank , or buy things at my LFS. Now I have a 30 gallon tropical community , 10 cardinal tetras , 7 Black Skirt tetras , 5 Penguin tetras and a BN pleco. The original 5 gallon is a plant-only tank I'm setting up now .At least now I have 2 filters ,2 airpumps and 2 heaters in my 30 gallon ..

Old 02-22-2014, 12:38 PM   #103
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

ordering from certain supporting vendors (names of vendors are withheld due to forum rules), not researching there customer service practices,

Never trust customer reviews on a vendors testimonials I found the one I posted on a very well know vendors site they reworded it to make themselves look good, they now try to target the newbies they post items on sale if you haven't noticed on there sale page almost every item is out of stock from the day of sale till the end of sale , trust me don't fall for there tactics , the quality of there livestock and corals are well below standards, how our moderators on this site allow them to remain on our supporting vendors list is beyond me .
you used to be able to call one of there customer service girls if there were any problem , now it's by email or Facebook and you'll wait
till they feel like responding if they do at all ,
shame on you vendor

Ask other members about a certain vendor you want to deal with
especially if you plan on ordering livestock

out of all the vendors out there I can only count 5 I would trust for buying livestock
Old 02-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #104
Aquarium Advice Activist

I got two tiny goldfish during a school fundraiser when I was 14 that I named Marco and Polo. They came in a little plastic bucket with a sack of food. I put them in a 1 gal fish bowl when I got home (no cycling, no filter, but I used a dechlorinator). Their water would turn cloudy overnight, and I found out they needed 10 gal each. They died a week later when I had to leave for the weekend and couldn't do daily water changes
A few months later my sister got me a red betta that I put in the same bowl. I only changed the water about once a week, did about 90% changes, floated the fish in the bowl in a cup if old water to try to make the very small temperature change gradual, but wiped off the inside of the bowl with a paper towel. About a year later I dropped in some bamboo which I think really helped and a year after that bought the betta a 5.5 gal, and a "baby betta" at pet smart for the bowl. Still no heaters or filters. I think going from a round to flat walled tank really freaked out the betta because he mostly just sat in the corner after that. He lived a total of three years. I used a light to keep the baby betta warm and crushed up pellets for her to eat, and shockingly she survived. When I got her she was just under an inch long, and now she's just over 2 inches, and very happy loving in the cycled, filtered, heated, heavily cycled 10 gallon I set up about 2 months ago with some glow light tetras, a few Pygmy Corydoras and some mts it's probably heaven compared to the little bowl she was in for a year, and she's got a ton of stuff to explore..
Old 02-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #105
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Sad news, I kind of wish they sold a simple cd on this stuff. It's a lot to learn when starting off.
They have something a lot like that. There are these rectangular packets of paper with words on them called books
Old 02-22-2014, 03:35 PM   #106
Aquarium Advice Addict

Subtle, Mebbid,,,,,very subtle.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:05 PM   #107
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo one View Post
Subtle, Mebbid,,,,,very subtle.
Hey, I do what I can

There's just no love for books anymore just because they aren't electronic nobody pats attention to them.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:09 PM   #108
Aquarium Advice Freak

I try to encourage everyone to read more books and use more the one reference
Old 02-22-2014, 06:40 PM   #109
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
They have something a lot like that. There are these rectangular packets of paper with words on them called books

I've never really seen much at all here lol, the only one was from a products company (you can guess what the solution to every problem was but I guess a start). So basically nothing except library books. Even a pamphlet would be good.

I know the internet covers everything and half the time I'm just standing there reading the iPhone so it's better than before the internet but there seems a lot of confusion out there.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:08 PM   #110
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Exactly. I LOVE this forum and have learned so much, but I also have a stack of books that I can reference, slowly browse and study. Many used book stores have all kinds of aquarium books on the cheap!

Tags
hare

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com