Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2014, 08:15 PM   #111
Adipose Fins Are Cool!

The internet is a God-send for research purposes as you have a huge library right in your home to pull from. BUT, curling up in a comfy chair or couch with a warm drink and a good book with NO electronics on is one of life's self supporting experiences, IMO. OS.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #112
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hmm, the trouble with books I find here is they get dated. Or at least the ones here do which are mostly written in the 1800's. Actually the library isn't that bad but woefully dated on say canister filters.

I still like the idea of a CD but to be honest anything would be better.

Below from a goldfish book from local library.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393114240.521740.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	224202

Old 02-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #113
Aquarium Advice Freak

Absolutely, Old Scales! Absolutely!!!

Delapool, I agree with that, too. You do need to find more recent books. The book I had from early days of fish-keeping was from the 50s or 60s--an Axelrod book. Not a single mention of cycling but lots of talk about "aging water" and other stuff that makes me cringe now. My early tanks were successful, I now know, because I added fish very slowly so the tanks cycled fish-in. Getting back into the hobby last year, I made a single big cycling mistake with goldfish (thankfully folks here helped me immensely and my fish survived--then I did a fishless cycle on my two new tropical tanks). I kept that old Axelrod book for the pictures, but went out and bought five newer books!
Old 02-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #114
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scales View Post
The internet is a God-send for research purposes as you have a huge library right in your home to pull from. BUT, curling up in a comfy chair or couch with a warm drink and a good book with NO electronics on is one of life's self supporting experiences, IMO. OS.

Actually if I could do that at the fish shop life would be complete
Old 02-22-2014, 08:42 PM   #115
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistGardener View Post
Absolutely, Old Scales! Absolutely!!!

Delapool, I agree with that, too. You do need to find more recent books. The book I had from early days of fish-keeping was from the 50s or 60s--an Axelrod book. Not a single mention of cycling but lots of talk about "aging water" and other stuff that makes me cringe now. My early tanks were successful, I now know, because I added fish very slowly so the tanks cycled fish-in. Getting back into the hobby last year, I made a single big cycling mistake with goldfish (thankfully folks here helped me immensely and my fish survived--then I did a fishless cycle on my two new tropical tanks). I kept that old Axelrod book for the pictures, but went out and bought five newer books!

Yes, good point - that's what I should do now and buy my own books. At least they should get into country - I've just had API liquid co2 rejected (looks like unable to import into state) which is a big surprise.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:56 PM   #116
Adipose Fins Are Cool!

Artist, I still have that book from the 60's. It was the standard back then. LOL Shows how much more we know now. Thank God. It was done by Herbert Axelrod. Called "The Encyclopedia Of Tropical Fishes". "Aged water" OMG. I haven't heard that term since then. Thanks for the memory. OS.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:35 AM   #117
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickshot3102 View Post
People at the LFS need to stress that these fish need bigger tanks! It's unfortunate because i lost both balas.
Having been a vendor and as I now work for an importer/ wholesaler, I have to say this for balance....

As a vendor it is not always possible to assess a customer's ability nor is it always possible ascertain their experience or even the size of their tank..... especially when everyone these days just quotes gallons rather than tank dimensions as we did when I was in retail.

Sometimes, when a customer asks to purchase a certain fish as soon as they see it in your tank, you just have to assume that they came to buy that particular fish and know about its needs. If you start questioning an experienced fishkeeper about their tank size an water parameters, it can be quite demeaning when they turn round and say 'i know what
I am doing, I have kept fish for thirty years'.

Having said that, all vendors should attempt to ensure that the customer is aware of exactly what they are buying. The sad fact is, many staff at aquatic outlets have neither the experience or knowledge themselves.

Lack of knowledge is why the aquatics industry is so large..... bad for the fish, but good for business!! Will that ever change?
Old 02-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #118
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pip - you're singing my son's song! Especially since you're only trying to be helpful. But for some reason folks really get their hackles up over basic questions. I don't mind if someone at a store asks me about my set-up. It tells me that they care.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #119
Aquarium Advice Addict

Washed my tank with vinegar mix and didn't rinse it before filling. Mixed up some water with pot ash until the PH was off the scale and added slowly until it came up. The fish were in a container with the old tank water, so no biggie.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 05-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #120
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Mine and my fiancÚ's biggest mistake was putting an African butterfly fish in our tank with 2 gars and a big fat Redtail. We woke up the next morning and our redtail swallowed it up!

Tags
hare

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com