Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Typical kid who didn't know anything. Set up a 10g as a 10 year old, stocked it with 15-20 fish same day. Lost a bunch, just replaced those. Only added water to replace what had evaporated. When it couldn't stand not being able to see my fish through the algae, I would take it apart, boil & bleach the gravel and decor clean and put a new filter cartridge in. The fish that somehow survived the last tank quickly died, were replaced, and the story started over again. Took a few years off, then got back into it. Same thing all over. Took another few years off, then was going to rebuild my 10g in our new place and my brother offered me his 55g. Started off exactly the same way....

After about 2 weeks, a couple neon deaths, and algae starting to show up, I decided to look into what I needed to do since I wasn't going clean the 55 like I did the 10 every few months.

Thank God I found this site!!!!!!!

Super_Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #12
Adipose Fins Are Cool!

My wallet says this hobby is a big mistake but my heart says its more than worth it. LOL.

Bonified member of "The Wet Arm Society".
One's life should be measured by the number of people who smile when they remember you.
Old Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #13
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Biggest mistake this time was setting the tank up in the wrong spot, too big to shift easily and only needs to move 10 ft.

Biggest mistake at 17, (years back) was taking the casing off an air pump to see how it worked - live. I can't remember how but a twist tie (metal strand covered in plastic) fell on the electrics. One puff of smoke, a bang, thrown fuse and melted plastics later I learnt an important lesson that electricity doesn't care.

My tank setup now has its own fuse at the powerpoint, just in case of leaks. You hear stories of tanks or hoses leaking and with kids this is my greatest concern for fish-keeping.
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:29 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Delapool "electricity doesn't care" how true! Had my share of shocks.
Masha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:29 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Well like most I began with a ten gallon. It was "cycled" for about a week then added:
2 Bala sharks
2 goldfish (won at carnival)
1 koi (again won)
8 guppies
3 neon tetras
2 glow light tetras
Stupid carnivals. If I ever get in any slot of political power I'm banning that and making it so illegal it's stupid. I got out of fish keeping for about 8 years then jumped back in. Now I'm going nuts (well as nuts as my parents will let me) so glad I found this site and hobby! Some good news outta this is I released the goldfish and koi into a local pond (with permission). I always went there and fed them from time to time. They got huge! Amazing what a near football field size pond will allow a fish to grow to! Man I was 6 when this all happened and remember it like yesterday.
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist
In 1999 i got your typical ignorant fishbowl with two comets in it. Upgraded to a three gallon after 5 years and now a 5 gallon. Im talking no filter, air bubbler or ANYTHING and this comet is now 14 years old. Her name is jessie. I have no idea how the most fundamental mistake is still totally fine.
Nigoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:39 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
I spent about 8 years overstocking my 20g with Comets. They would usually last for about 3 years as a community until one outgrew the rest and the rest would die. I guess the bigger fish wind up getting aggressive when they outgrow the tank.
Alan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
My most repetitive mistake is going to the fish store when I need absolutely nothing at all, it's like there is some cosmic force that will not let me leave with out buying something, I have a box under my tank table with filters, air pumps, heaters.. I have a problem...
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

When I got married 10 years ago, our reception table centerpieces were Bettas in little teeny vases. We encouraged people to take them home afterward
threnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
I remember when I was 18, I had went to lfs and saw the gold fish feeder tanks ( I did not know they were feeders though). I looked at how small their tank was and thought hmmm if they can house that many in a little tank, hmm so can I.....so I bought a 10g tank and about 30-50 gold fish. Well you all know how that turned out...I didn't know about cycling or water changes.....phewwww it was a stinky disaster, daily.....Hahahaha...ameteur mistake

Current tanks: 55g/ 40B/ 20H/, 5g
If you always do what you've always done, you'll end with the same results
Aqualady40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com