Share Your Mistakes Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few weeks ago I put a mouse pad in my sump underneath my return pump, hoping the rubber would make it less noisy. Thought nothing of it.
Two days later I had fish dying in droves.
Hubby soon realized it was the mouse pad which was actually a two-layer mouse pad with a layer of glue in between which was dissolving into the water.
Many frantic water changes and the deaths abruptly stopped, but my Angel, who lives, is brain damaged (no joke here, and it's sad)
So I poisoned my fish :( And the one who lived will never be the same.

A few weeks ago I put a mouse pad in my sump underneath my return pump, hoping the rubber would make it less noisy. Thought nothing of it. Two days later I had fish dying in droves. Hubby soon realized it was the mouse pad which was actually a two-layer mouse pad with a layer of glue in between which was dissolving into the water. Many frantic water changes and the deaths abruptly stopped, but my Angel, who lives, is brain damaged (no joke here, and it's sad) So I poisoned my fish :( And the one who lived will never be the same.
ouchers threnjen, they sell rubber mat at Home Depot that would work for that, I'm sorry for your loss:(

Yep in retrospect I feel pretty bloody stupid. This is why we don't put unknown items in the tank >.<

I forgot that I had sliced up a lime, hadn't washed my hands, and absentmindedly reached into a nano tank to do something really minor, adjusting a plant or something, I can't even remember now. As soon as I was removing my hand I realized I hadn't washed my hands. I felt so bad. Now I remember to rinse my hands before sticking them near a tank, no matter what.

I forgot that I had sliced up a lime, hadn't washed my hands, and absentmindedly reached into a nano tank to do something really minor, adjusting a plant or something, I can't even remember now. As soon as I was removing my hand I realized I hadn't washed my hands. I felt so bad. Now I remember to rinse my hands before sticking them near a tank, no matter what.
anything come of it?

Stuff like that happens a lot.. A friend of mine went to the bathroom after he was cutting up some jalapenos with bare hands. He had to dip his stuff in butter milk to get it to stop burning.

Stuff like that happens a lot.. A friend of mine went to the bathroom after he was cutting up some jalapenos with bare hands. He had to dip his stuff in butter milk to get it to stop burning.
haha youchhh!

anything come of it?

I had 5 baby feeder guppies in the tank. They were destined to become food anyway, but I really hated to see them suffer, I lost 4 of the 5 in the tank. The four died almost immediately. The fifth was one tough fish, and hardly seemed affected. I ended up giving him to a friend for her tank a few weeks later, figured he deserved to live after that.

My father did that after crumbling dried habeneros into some chili, the "discomfort" listed hours

It is hard to educate some people. I work at a pet store and if I try to tell someone the tank you have is too small for the fish you want they either get mad, think I'm lying, or don't care and buy the fish anyways. Not all people are like this, but a few unfortunately

It is hard to educate some people. I work at a pet store and if I try to tell someone the tank you have is too small for the fish you want they either get mad, think I'm lying, or don't care and buy the fish anyways. Not all people are like this, but a few unfortunately
I have a dream of working in a fish store but I don't think I could for this very reason. I would feel so frustrated. You're a saint!

A fancy goldfish and 2 guppies in a 2.5 gallon. I was told it would be ok :(

I have a dream of working in a fish store but I don't think I could for this very reason. I would feel so frustrated. You're a saint!

The main thing is I never lie to people. Even if it means losing a sale.

My son works at a large chain pet store (not sure if it's cool to name it here) and, oh boy, the stories he comes home with!

Oh I know! A girl recently came in wondering why here fish kept dying. She said she had a 20 gallon with 4 gouramis , some mollies , and a common pleco. I'm like your ammonia is probably way too high, have you ever changed your water? She looked at me like I was crazy. I told her she needs to rehome the pleco and she kinda just laughed. It can be rough

Back
Top Bottom