Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2014, 10:18 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Share Your Mistakes Here

A few years ago, I had heard that aquarium salt is helpful with so many things in the aquarium and great for fish. So, I put the correct amount in my aquarium. I didn't think about my large mystery snails until I found them dead.

Last year, I found this great piece of quarts at a flea market, and knew quarts was safe in the aquarium. A month later all of my fish died. The water parameters were fine, so I was stumped. Then when breaking down the tank to clean it all thoroughly, I noticed weird bubbles I could scrape off the quarts. It apparently was a varnish they had put on the quarts.

Now I do a lot more research and inspection before adding things to my tank.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:36 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Had a good one last night, brought home a couple hexazona barbs and my leopard Pleco ( woo) it was kind of late, instead of doing it right I started to drop acclimate the Pleco in the bag, thing is my qt tank is currently on top of my fridge, the bag was leaning on the tank, I turned my back for one second and naturally the bag tips a bit cascading water down the front of my fridge( poopy Pleco stress bag water) Normally would not be a big deal, seeing as my gf keeps a million important things on the front of the fridge it almost got me a one way ticket out of that relationship. :hangs head in shame:

Old 01-30-2014, 08:49 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Freak

My biggest was letting the lady at the fish tank give me one snail. It accidentally got in the bag when she scooped up the fish and she said it was harmless so I thought nothing of it. It wasn't long before i had a million of those annoying little things. I had to ditch the gravel, do a 100 % water change and recycle the tank.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:58 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candi1990 View Post
My biggest was letting the lady at the fish tank give me one snail. It accidentally got in the bag when she scooped up the fish and she said it was harmless so I thought nothing of it. It wasn't long before i had a million of those annoying little things. I had to ditch the gravel, do a 100 % water change and recycle the tank.
Next time just get a couple assassin snails! Now I ask for snails at the store haha
Old 01-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Next time just get a couple assassin snails! Now I ask for snails at the store haha

What are they???? What's the benefit?
Old 01-30-2014, 10:53 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would say assassins were on my list of (many) mistakes over time....I bought a couple to deal with ramshorns and they multiplied like rabbits in my tank. Now I have an assassin snail problem, and I'm still picking out those suckers whenever I find them. They killed my lovely adult mystery snail back when there was a ton of them in my tank. Now I only find them occasionally, thankfully and all my other snails are fine...

What else, hmmm. Buying a fish without doing a ton of research first. Emperor tetras that I bought bullied everything in my tank, ate the rili shrimp I tried to add within a day of them being in the tank....ugh. Also, the very first fish I bought for my tank after doing a fishless cycle were beautiful Gertrude's spotted blue eyes. I had them for about 6 months, added another couple fish from a different LFS and they were carrying some kind of disease....lost all my beautiful rainbows (and the new fish of course) to a fluffy white spot disease....sigh. Now I'm more careful about what livestock looks like when I buy and where it comes from.

Oh, and thinking a rescape of my tank would be easy. Ha!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #57

Location: i dont remember. let me take my arm out of the tank.
I once got an endler guppy. He was tiny. Needless to day he got very stressed and began to lay in gravel and hide. Soon he was gone. His name was fluval.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

My one and only mistake was buying a 200quid or 330dollar custom made 3D background that i never used because it took up too much space and didnt match my cichlids habitat or the decor i ended up wanting to use.

Which reminds me that i need to get it up on ebay!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1391118173408.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	219745   Click image for larger version

Name:	1391118188257.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	219746  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

Probably never learning to cycle until many fish down the road. (Why didn't you explain this to me dad?!)
venymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:47 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Regular

2 gallon tank with 2 comets and an African clawed frog... Never again...

Tags
hare

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com