Share Your Mistakes Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm, the trouble with books I find here is they get dated. Or at least the ones here do which are mostly written in the 1800's. Actually the library isn't that bad but woefully dated on say canister filters.

I still like the idea of a CD but to be honest anything would be better.

Below from a goldfish book from local library.
View attachment 224202

And whats so bad about that list? Its alittle conservative granted but not so bad. After all petsmart seems to think a goldfish in a half gallon bowl is ok.

Im kidding of course.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And whats so bad about that list? Its alittle conservative granted but not so bad. After all petsmart seems to think a goldfish in a half gallon bowl is ok.

Im kidding of course.

:)

Got to earn their keep I say! Lawn mowing, pool cleaning - hourly rates available :) Actually then maybe I could break even on expenses...

My big mistake was dosing my nano reef tank with furan-2 to get rid of zoa poxs.I saw on the internet that is was ok and safe. Wrong wrong wrong!! It only cost $8 and 3 days to kill $300 and 8 months of my time. Oh the learning curve

My big mistake was dosing my nano reef tank with furan-2 to get rid of zoa poxs.I saw on the internet that is was ok and safe. Wrong wrong wrong!! It only cost $8 and 3 days to kill $300 and 8 months of my time. Oh the learning curve

Did it kill off the corals? Sorry reef illiterate.

Its definitely not something you want in your whole system. Since I killed everything in the tank I did a little more research on furan-2 and its supposed to be used as a dip. No longer than 5 minutes

Its definitely not something you want in your whole system. Since I killed everything in the tank I did a little more research on furan-2 and its supposed to be used as a dip. No longer than 5 minutes

Will have to read up - I've just chucked it in the drawer assuming I won't need it until next summer. Must check it out properly.

Put African cichlid with my fantail goldfish!!

Sent from my iPhone5 using Aquarium Advice

Hmm, the trouble with books I find here is they get dated. Or at least the ones here do which are mostly written in the 1800's.
Well, books from the 1800's would be pretty dated. It must be fun to learn about how people kept fish before electricity was widely available.

Well, books from the 1800's would be pretty dated. It must be fun to learn about how people kept fish before electricity was widely available.

I'd love to get a collection of aquarium books - new and old. This Xmas my hints won't be so subtle. I have some old work text books and it is amazing what we take for granted with computers now.

Using old milk jugs for putting water back into tank. Didn't rinse them out good enough and had sour milk in tank. Killed everything but rainbow shark and common pleco.

put the 6 pack of scraper blades down i just bought ($18.)
now i cant find the darn things anywhere and those things aint cheap

So, my worst and almost fatal mistake was only a year ago. My fish store told me to tie my java fern down to a rock with sewing thread. I chose the heavy duty stuff so it wouldn't break down. About a month later, I walk by my tank and notice one of my cory cats going bonkers. He was going around and around in a perfect circle along the bottom on the tank. I went in and tried to pick him up, he nearly killed himself trying to get away from me, but he couldn't. Turned out he had somehow gotten the loop that was around the java fern had gotten caught around his lips!!!! I ended up getting him out ( with a lot of effort that had him bleeding) and took a needle and slowly released the knot around his lips. He survived and completely healed. I will never use string or fishing line in my tank again!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You'd probably be okay with fishing line because of the way it behaves, but you have to tie different knots sometimes.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom