Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
xwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickshot3102 View Post
That's true, but they really should educate people also. Just think of the countless fish lost to not educating people (beginners)

Oh I know what you mean. Some other times they really don't know kinda like the blind leading the blind
__________________

__________________
xwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #82
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwing View Post
Oh I know what you mean. Some other times they really don't know kinda like the blind leading the blind

That is very true and it would be unfair to blame the workers at the LFS.
__________________

__________________
trickshot3102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:05 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
threnjen's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,611
A few weeks ago I put a mouse pad in my sump underneath my return pump, hoping the rubber would make it less noisy. Thought nothing of it.
Two days later I had fish dying in droves.
Hubby soon realized it was the mouse pad which was actually a two-layer mouse pad with a layer of glue in between which was dissolving into the water.
Many frantic water changes and the deaths abruptly stopped, but my Angel, who lives, is brain damaged (no joke here, and it's sad)
So I poisoned my fish And the one who lived will never be the same.
__________________
threnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #84
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 13,542
Yikes, sad news thanks for the share. Anything rubber seems tricky!
__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:42 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 18,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
A few weeks ago I put a mouse pad in my sump underneath my return pump, hoping the rubber would make it less noisy. Thought nothing of it. Two days later I had fish dying in droves. Hubby soon realized it was the mouse pad which was actually a two-layer mouse pad with a layer of glue in between which was dissolving into the water. Many frantic water changes and the deaths abruptly stopped, but my Angel, who lives, is brain damaged (no joke here, and it's sad) So I poisoned my fish And the one who lived will never be the same.
ouchers threnjen, they sell rubber mat at Home Depot that would work for that, I'm sorry for your loss
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:58 PM   #86
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 13,542
there was one with water going over bike tube I think it was - sudden fish loss.
__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:20 PM   #87
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
threnjen's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,611
Yep in retrospect I feel pretty bloody stupid. This is why we don't put unknown items in the tank >.<
__________________
threnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:09 PM   #88
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Summer4infinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Oregon coast
Posts: 72
I forgot that I had sliced up a lime, hadn't washed my hands, and absentmindedly reached into a nano tank to do something really minor, adjusting a plant or something, I can't even remember now. As soon as I was removing my hand I realized I hadn't washed my hands. I felt so bad. Now I remember to rinse my hands before sticking them near a tank, no matter what.
__________________
Summer4infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 18,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer4infinity View Post
I forgot that I had sliced up a lime, hadn't washed my hands, and absentmindedly reached into a nano tank to do something really minor, adjusting a plant or something, I can't even remember now. As soon as I was removing my hand I realized I hadn't washed my hands. I felt so bad. Now I remember to rinse my hands before sticking them near a tank, no matter what.
anything come of it?
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer4infinity View Post
I forgot that I had sliced up a lime, hadn't washed my hands, and absentmindedly reached into a nano tank to do something really minor, adjusting a plant or something, I can't even remember now. As soon as I was removing my hand I realized I hadn't washed my hands. I felt so bad. Now I remember to rinse my hands before sticking them near a tank, no matter what.

Stuff like that happens a lot.. A friend of mine went to the bathroom after he was cutting up some jalapenos with bare hands. He had to dip his stuff in butter milk to get it to stop burning.
__________________

__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hare

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.