Share Your Mistakes Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also siphon out the window occasionally. I'm super understocked so I don't have to vac all the time

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, I was a bit cunning there and put the tank 10m from the nearest window. No algae from natural sunlight :) The first water change was a novelty, after that .....

this is a tough one...

I guess the key here is biggest.. In my Salt water tank.... buying a yellow TAIL Damsel on line... expecting a relatively peaceful "community " fish... what I got was a yellow BELLY damsel that has grown into the wicked witch of the East... she's relatively tolerant of her tank mates.. but attacks my hands at feeding time and during routine maintenance. Introducing any new fish into the tank is not an option.. she kills on site... I'd rehome her but trying to catch the little monster is no easy feat..( I've tried!) so we are married until death do us part...;)

My biggest "blunder" for my fresh water tank was moving my 20 gallon bow front in to the foyer while I remodeled the family room.... thus suspending all routine maintenance while I was doing the remodeling on the premise that I would do a complete water change during the reintroduction ... well.. 3 months latter the tank was disgusting ( I have 5 tanks so it's not like I didn't do any maintenance during that time period).. I cleaned the Tank ( it's inhabitants waited in a 30 gallon tub) I washed away most of the "goodness" in that gravel AND changed all the filter material.. and kidded myself that reusing the water ( in the 30 gallon tub would keep the tank from cycling.. I DO know better)..I spiked the tank and lost most of it's inhabitants due to slothfulness and procrastination... sadly I could have put them upstairs in the fish room in the 20 gallon QT tank... slothfulness and procrastination :banghead:....

Biggest mistake I was cleaning my bettas half gallon bowl and in stead of using the water treater I used algae destroyer by accident of corse the thing dyed in a hour

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I think the biggest mistake was keeping a betta in that size tank in the first place.

Years ago when I was new at fishkeeping a friend of mine needed to have a telescope goldfish rescued and I agreed to house it and take it to the aquarium store the next day. When I came back home that day I was shocked to see that one of it's eyes was missing but it had no other injury marks. I told the store about it and they knew exactly what happened when I told them that I put it in the aquarium with Oscars. Some aggressive fish can suck the eyes out of some larger, slow moving fish.

Once I needed to move my 55 gallon so I could make an upgrade to my homemade aquarium stand that held a 55 and a 30 gallon tank. I decided to take a short cut and move it with the fish and gravel in it. The plan was to move it to a lower surface and as I started to move it I realized that it was heavier than I could handle with such a wide grip. Instead of dropping it I held onto it and hurt my back. I suffered a bulged disc that bothered me for about 4 years. I finally went back to therapy during that 4th year and followed the instructions for recovery and got rid of the pain and constant reminder of the injury.

Ugh, those are some bad mistakes. Poor goldfish! :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ugh, those are some bad mistakes. Poor goldfish! :(

I know. I agree. I was new at keeping Oscars and I had 4 aquariums at the time. I should have put them in one of the other aquariums. I'd never even experienced goldfish before and I thought it would be okay but I thought it wouldn't beokay with that big goldfish in with tropical fish. The pet store made me feel really good because they said even with the 1 eye it would be ok and someone who raises goldfish would pick it up right away. And that's what happenEd

Once I needed to move my 55 gallon so I could make an upgrade to my homemade aquarium stand that held a 55 and a 30 gallon tank. I decided to take a short cut and move it with the fish and gravel in it. The plan was to move it to a lower surface and as I started to move it I realized that it was heavier than I could handle with such a wide grip. Instead of dropping it I held onto it and hurt my back. I suffered a bulged disc that bothered me for about 4 years. I finally went back to therapy during that 4th year and followed the instructions for recovery and got rid of the pain and constant reminder of the injury.

My back is aching just thinking about that... I can't move my 56 by myself when it's empty!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Added peacock cichlids with large mbuna cichlids. Dead fish.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When I first started I threw Molly fry in with 2 Betta into a 5 gallon UG filtered tank. I felt so awful that I was determined to make things right. Now I am obsessed .

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Putting new world cichlids with African cichlids a long long time ago?

Let the tank sit for a day and the next day go out to Petco to get water tested bought myself 3 Cory's, this was m first tank they are all still alive today.

Nils

Nils that's because Corys are awesome!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When I was a kid I used to take my betta out of his tank and put him in a clear cup to bring him everywhere with me.

May the force be with you.

Back
Top Bottom