Share Your Mistakes Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Apparently changing my filters! I am just learning this is a no-no.

Biggest mistake I ever made

It's starts with a trip to Walmart yes walmart why do they sell fish I don't know it should be a crime.
My gf at the time wanted some cute little baby oscars so we vary intelligently listen to the employees advice to buy a 10g for out now 2 oscars he said they would be fine. I put them in after 1 hour of starting my cycle because I didn't know anything about cycles I was smart enough to buy prime but that's it.
Somehow my poor little oscars survived my idiot self and they where growing so I visited my petsmart were a slightly brighter employee than the Walmart one advised me I needed at least a 55g for my two oscars and suggested I get a common placo because I needed a "cleaner"
The only good advice she did give me was give me directions to a LFS
Here I got better advice no id say it was good. I still remember the owners name his name was john Hollywood lol
Anyway he advised me I needed at least a 125g because all my fish where going to get bigger mind you they where about 8inches by now.
I found a 180g on Craig's list for 250 with stand a swamp filter john said to save at least half the water and start up he tank right away.

Mistake # 1 I went only with my gf to pick up the tank it was easily 250 + pounds empty weight.

Mistake # 2 i didn't but enough water containers I bought 2 rubber maid 17g plastic storage boxes

Mistake #3 I didn't bother or make any plans for the inhabitants of the 180g tank it was a mbuna tank with about 50 Africans with fry and all

Mistake #4 I went to pick up the tank late it was maybe around 8pm

Mistake #5 because I didn't take any help to move this giant tank I was exhausted when I got home at 10pm it's was hard to drain it all than move it pretty much by myself

Mistake # 6 I knew nothing about how a swamp filter works and I didn't do any research into how they work. So I was unable to get it started I tried until just past 1 am but it was a no go

Mistake # 7 I left all the Africans on the rubber made storage boxes up until 12am before I realized I couldn't leave them in their much longer

Mistake # 8 I dumped half into the 55g with my oscars :( because I was worried the 180g wasn't cycled and I was now bearly thinking about this the other half I dumped into the un cycled 180g tank

Mistake # 9 I didn't take into account water perimeters of my tank and the 180g tank nor about my tap water. So this was before I understood ph and nitrites ammonia and so on.

This was a Friday night I over slept but by morning most of the mbuna I dumped into true uncycled 180g were already dead

In the 55g with the oscars all the fry had disappeared basically eaten by the oscars he adults where fighting for their lives but three had been killed in the over night fighting

My gf at the time still wanted to keep them as she liked the mbuna so I vary stupidly listened a week later I kept finding dead mbuna so I finally gave the last survivors to john just 8 survived my ignorance I cycled the tank and learned the hard way how NOT to move a tank

My 125 was a killer it took my husband and my grown son to move it I can't imagine a 180!!! Funny story tho how are the oscars now??? And I agree walmart shouldn't be allowed to even have fish. The one here calls someone from sporting goods to get the fish out. Either there or hardware.

My 125 was a killer it took my husband and my grown son to move it I can't imagine a 180!!! Funny story tho how are the oscars now??? And I agree walmart shouldn't be allowed to even have fish. The one here calls someone from sporting goods to get the fish out. Either there or hardware.

The oscars where fine for about another 2 years I even added 2 jacks and a gar... but that same ex gf took the tank in the split just to spit me I think she ended giving it away but I don't know either way I don't count that as my mistake as I had no control after I lost the tank. :(

Awe.... At least she cared enough to take em i am sure she took care of them or found someone who would.

Adding serpae tetras to my 25 gal tank. BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER. The next day, all my fishes' fins were practically gone and many were murdered. Should've done research first:/

I got a question for you gals and boys, is it necessary to clean your gravel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No you don't unless your fighting something. Eg a parasite or a bad fungal attack or a algae bloom like a blue green one

Otherwise you want to stay away from cleaning it other than with a vacuum during wc

Does this look Familiar? Loose O-Ring and a 5 gallon spray of water......

img_2830358_0_d8658d16ea972c17a8c9c539f8a4d47f.jpg

My biggest mistake.....putting a bala shark in a 10 gal. Yup, and before the 10 I had two balas in a 3 gallon! This is not a joke! And it was before I discovered AA!

People at the LFS need to stress that these fish need bigger tanks! It's unfortunate because i lost both balas. :(

Their job is to sell fish not so much educate but I agree with you

That's true, but they really should educate people also. Just think of the countless fish lost to not educating people (beginners)

Back
Top Bottom