Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Share Your Mistakes Here

Let's be honest, we all make mistakes, including in this hobby. Share your biggest mistakes here so we can all learn not to do what you did!

Let me start...

I was setting up my HOB filter for my quarantine tank, and thought the mechanical filtration sponge was actually the bio filter (ignored the bio ceramic rings), AND thought only a filter floss from my main tank would be enough to seed my QT tank. Unfortunately, I lost 2 African Dwarf Frogs within 36 hours. Fishless cycling for me from now on!

fish4phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Way back at the beginning when I got my first tank at 8 years old my parents and I didn't no anything about fish really I just picked out interesting looking fish. So I went on and picked out 1- African bumblebee cichlid 2 firemouths and 1 jack Demosey along with 2 common plecos. Some how all survived the cycle and the firemouths spawned and killed them all. I won't make that mistake ever again!

josh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
When I knew nothing about fish I got a 10 gallon tank not cycled and stocked it with... a kissing gourami , swordtail , mickeymouse Platy , common pleco , 2 cory cats , 2 dwarf frogs , 2 green spotted puffers , and a blue gourami. I know... It's terrible! But I knew nothing. One dwarf frog and both cories survived, and still have them till this day .. I now am very knowledgable and proud to know never to make mistakes like that again!
Sidman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
We stocked a 10 gallon with 10 fish including a pleco and a red tailed shark. Uncycled.

That orvwhen I set 2 sa bumble bee cats into my nano tank....
God is amazing. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is everywhere
African Leaf Fish Tank Build
GodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
When I started off, I had 4 comets in a 29 gallon tank. I moved them to a pond when they got larger
Rule number one: Always research a fish before you buy it.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
When I was 13 I got my first tank. It was a 1 gallon with 3 make guppies. I knew nothing about cycling. When the water would evaporate, I would add more, when it started to look dirty, I would completely drain the tank, wash everything off in tap water, and refill. Needless to say the poor fish only survived about 2 months.

But probably my worst mistake was keeping an angel in a 10g for a year. Poor thing got stunted. I still have her today in my 36 gal, and her fins grew longer, but I know she will never be full size because of my stupidity.
20 gallon high-tech planted
Khuligirl93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
Well I had a fully stocked 60gal w/ live plants and made a DIY CO2 out of a paintball cylinder. I was unaware that at night plants use oxygen and give off CO2 so I left the CO2 injection on all the time and needless to say my wife woke up after I went to work and got scared shitless. Gotta call and had to rush home to save what fish I could from CO2 poisoning. I felt so terrible I lost 9 fish that day. But I have learned since.
vvjosh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
On my first DIY co2 batch I put the check valve on the wrong way. No co2 could get in the tank so the pressure in the bottle was increasing rapidly. I came home from school to see a busted 2 liter bottle and sugar water all over a shelf in my room... Always check that you have everything the right way!
Ayi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Pfffft I don't need a quarantine. Quarantining new fish is for the weak!

1 problem, and 4 fish, with ich later I am setting up my 15 as a quarantine.
CanadianWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
I am a prime example of doing things the wrong way but am happy that I changed my horrid fish keeping ways.

Before I found this site:

First tank - 10g hex - 19 years old
Was set up for 1 day and then I added 2 angels, black ghost knife, black moor, CAE, Fiddler crab, and a handfull of guppies. They all died quickly and I gave the tank to a friend.

Second tank - 29g - 23 years old
Uncycled but lightly stocked. I bought a pair of jeweled cichlids in a tank with peaceful community fish. They then spawned and killed everything in the tank. That was 4 years ago and I still have the male who is almost completely blind now.

I decided to give fish keeping one last chance when I found this site and now have waaaay too many tanks

Mebbid's Fishtopia: Various builds
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com