shipping.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlackMagic

Aquarium Advice Freak
Y do some ppl charge you a fee for their service/gas?
I got seller telling me this and that, I need to pay for their gas to the usps.

Fish seller who doesn't have any boxes stock up? Like wow ...

Y not use flat med rate box and charge a person $10.50 rather then charging the buyer 12-15 on a small 6 by 6 by 7 box?

Well there is some cost involved in handling aspect of shipping, but it should be calculated into the total cost of shipping.

I use the 7x7x6 boxes all the time because shipping by weight for most shipments is cheaper than shipping flat rate. I can guarantee you that if the package weighs less than 2 lbs that its cheaper than medium flat rate.

There are materials involved in packaging as well that cost money. It shouldn't raise up the shipping cost dramatically, but it does cost money to put together.

Buying materials and driving down to the usps is the seller responsibility, seller shouldn't charge you for it. Buyer shouldn't have to pay for gas... if you gonna sell fish online and charge ppl for gas mind as well don't sell anything at all...

when shipping fish like guppy or any small size group fish I ship by 6x6x7 box for less.cost.

my complain was, I was trying to order 6 betta but th seller want 20 for shippin g.45 for over night.

You can't expect someone to charge you exact USPS shipping cost, it costs them money to buy packaging materials also. Charging someone for gas to drop the package off is a bit much, especially since USPS will pick up packages at your house for free. The thing is, all of this should be factored into the shipping cost, and it still shouldn't cost more than $12 or so with all of that included.

It really sounds weird that someone would even tell you that, and there's no way I would buy something from someone charging $20 for priority shipping.

BlackMagic said:
my complain was, I was trying to order 6 betta but th seller want 20 for shippin g.45 for over night.

$20 for 6 bettas doesn't actually sound that unreasonable:
They cannot be bagged together which alone can increase shipping costs right there...

This is of course, just IMO.

I've seen people on here offer plants for free, but include the shipping costs and a couple dollars for gas... but, that's perfectly understandable. If somebody is selling something, the materials should be included in the cost of the product IMO

I agree, paying for shipping and some extra is ok, if its not, I guess buy from someone else :) I can personally reccomend mfdrookie and jetajockey.s products.

$20 for 6 bettas doesn't actually sound that unreasonable:
They cannot be bagged together which alone can increase shipping costs right there...

This is of course, just IMO.

2-3 day flat rate med box is only $10.50.. a med flat rate box can fit about 25 betta. I know cause I shipped 25 betta in a med box to my cousin in CA, None was DOA.

And yet the dude I was going to buy betta from want $20 for shipping.

You can't expect someone to charge you exact USPS shipping cost, it costs them money to buy packaging materials also. Charging someone for gas to drop the package off is a bit much, especially since USPS will pick up packages at your house for free. The thing is, all of this should be factored into the shipping cost, and it still shouldn't cost more than $12 or so with all of that included.

It really sounds weird that someone would even tell you that, and there's no way I would buy something from someone charging $20 for priority shipping.

He told me he charge ppl for his time spent packing and driving to usps.
Like how lame is that ...

I've seen people on here offer plants for free, but include the shipping costs and a couple dollars for gas... but, that's perfectly understandable. If somebody is selling something, the materials should be included in the cost of the product IMO

That I can understand,if the plants is free and they charge u $2-3 more for shipping is fine. Pretty much ur paying for the plant itself. But again ppl who does that, y not just price the plant instead of adding the price to the shipping fee.

Maybe its a $10 shipped kinda sale.

I never charge ppl for styroform box, I feel if im going to sell fish only its my job to get the stuff to pack, like tape etc.

I never charge ppl for styroform box, I feel if im going to sell fish only its my job to get the stuff to pack, like tape etc.

Styrofoam sheets, insulation, and tape all cost money, and should be factored into the shipping cost.

Even if the person isn't being charged directly for them, it's being made up in the price of the fish, if it isn't, then it's basically like giving stuff away.

Back
Top Bottom