Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2011, 02:15 AM   #1

shipping.

Y do some ppl charge you a fee for their service/gas?
I got seller telling me this and that, I need to pay for their gas to the usps.

Fish seller who doesn't have any boxes stock up? Like wow ...

Y not use flat med rate box and charge a person $10.50 rather then charging the buyer 12-15 on a small 6 by 6 by 7 box?

Old 08-03-2011, 02:24 AM   #2
come get me tang police!

Well there is some cost involved in handling aspect of shipping, but it should be calculated into the total cost of shipping.

I use the 7x7x6 boxes all the time because shipping by weight for most shipments is cheaper than shipping flat rate. I can guarantee you that if the package weighs less than 2 lbs that its cheaper than medium flat rate.

There are materials involved in packaging as well that cost money. It shouldn't raise up the shipping cost dramatically, but it does cost money to put together.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:49 AM   #3

Buying materials and driving down to the usps is the seller responsibility, seller shouldn't charge you for it. Buyer shouldn't have to pay for gas... if you gonna sell fish online and charge ppl for gas mind as well don't sell anything at all...

when shipping fish like guppy or any small size group fish I ship by 6x6x7 box for less.cost.

my complain was, I was trying to order 6 betta but th seller want 20 for shippin g.45 for over night.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:55 AM   #4
come get me tang police!

You can't expect someone to charge you exact USPS shipping cost, it costs them money to buy packaging materials also. Charging someone for gas to drop the package off is a bit much, especially since USPS will pick up packages at your house for free. The thing is, all of this should be factored into the shipping cost, and it still shouldn't cost more than $12 or so with all of that included.

It really sounds weird that someone would even tell you that, and there's no way I would buy something from someone charging $20 for priority shipping.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's just not right!
Old 08-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to HalfMoon B
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagic

my complain was, I was trying to order 6 betta but th seller want 20 for shippin g.45 for over night.
$20 for 6 bettas doesn't actually sound that unreasonable:
They cannot be bagged together which alone can increase shipping costs right there...

This is of course, just IMO.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I've seen people on here offer plants for free, but include the shipping costs and a couple dollars for gas... but, that's perfectly understandable. If somebody is selling something, the materials should be included in the cost of the product IMO

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree, paying for shipping and some extra is ok, if its not, I guess buy from someone else I can personally reccomend mfdrookie and jetajockey.s products.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfMoon B View Post
$20 for 6 bettas doesn't actually sound that unreasonable:
They cannot be bagged together which alone can increase shipping costs right there...

This is of course, just IMO.
2-3 day flat rate med box is only $10.50.. a med flat rate box can fit about 25 betta. I know cause I shipped 25 betta in a med box to my cousin in CA, None was DOA.

And yet the dude I was going to buy betta from want $20 for shipping.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
You can't expect someone to charge you exact USPS shipping cost, it costs them money to buy packaging materials also. Charging someone for gas to drop the package off is a bit much, especially since USPS will pick up packages at your house for free. The thing is, all of this should be factored into the shipping cost, and it still shouldn't cost more than $12 or so with all of that included.

It really sounds weird that someone would even tell you that, and there's no way I would buy something from someone charging $20 for priority shipping.
He told me he charge ppl for his time spent packing and driving to usps.
Like how lame is that ...

Tags
shipping

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com