Shirts and ties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who wears a shirt and tie to work?

• Do wear a shirt and tie to work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't wear a shirt and tie to work

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianNY

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I bought some new dress shirts and opened the first one today. A pet peeve of mine is the way shirts are packaged. It takes me longer to get the pins and such out of the shirt than dress. I always manage to miss a pin and end up pricking myself. Then the shirt comes out of the package so badly creased that it needs ironing :roll:

Just wondering how many of us guys wear a shirt and tie to work anymore. Gals, you can answer for your husbands, bfs, or dads.

Rick wears a dress shirt to work every day, usually not a tie unless he has a meeting, then its a tie and sportcoat.

He takes all his shirts and slacks to the nice Korean laundry down the street every week, so I do none of his work laundry! Woo hoo! Rick is not exactly the neatest fellow in the world, but when it comes to his work clothes he wants starch and creases every day.

Trevor wears button downs, but they are of the plaid variety. When we do need to get dress shirts, he also has a problem with all those stupid pins!

*And I thought I was in the minority* :D

Some time ago, my firm decided that everyone could do "business casual" an ancronym for "Dockers and an open shirt..no tie needed". This policy is in place for every department except mine for apparently, my department will have "Enormous contact with outside clients and agencies". So, it's not only a shirt and tie...but a suit as well.

BrianNY - You should know why dress shirts are packed the way they are as it's been done this way for a millenia. Suffer you fools so that you know you are important!

*Please...as often stated...disregard this rant. :D

One of the very few perks of being a research scientist is our dressed down look. :hat: Khakis, jeans, and open collar shirts are the norm among the senior research scientists where I work. I wear white socks and sneakers to work as a rule. The last time I wore a jacket and tie was at my job interview. They hang in my closet waiting for the next job interview, wedding, or funeral that I must attend.

BTW, what is the historical/cultural significance of the tie anyway? Why must dapper gents obsessively hide their shirt buttons with a strip of fabric? It seems kind of arachaic and silly to me - like powdered wigs! :lol: In the business world, you must conform by wearing conservatively styled, dark wool or cotton suits, dark socks, and dark shoes; BUT, you are allowed to display your wild and crazy personality through your choice of ties! :)

Depends on the day -- most days my hubby wears a shirt/tie as on this duty he wears dress uniforms, the only exception being the days he has to wear dress blues or during the winter when he opts to wear the authorized blue sweater over his dress uniform which allows him to skip the tie and be warmer :wink:

I have two jobs...freelance writer (which I can usually do in my own home office in my underwear, if I wish), and zoologist (in which, dealing with animals or doing fieldwork has me dressed as you might expect). However, I wear, day to day, almost exclusively, button-down long sleeve and golf shirts and trousers....it is an exceedingly rare thing to see me in a t-shirt or shorts. Occasionally, in my writing work, I do need to wear the 'suit & tie' to business meetings, and even less commonly, as a zoologist, I have been known to dress similarly for certain functions.

well a vote for the shirt and tie thing. In fact I wear a suit and tie almost every day. I too HATE all the pins but have yet to miss them, thankefully. I work six days a week and on my day off I refuse to wear anything with buttons atall. T-shirt and jeans with a baseball cap. My wife hates it cause she always looks good and wants me to "put in as much effort on my day off as i do on my days on" I dont think I'll ever cave to ironing on my day off.

I actually spend my entire work day in a modified form of pajamas! Ties are about three times a year for official functions, when I can't get out of them. :twisted:

Heh, Im a paint contractor so I get to wear painters whites(with drops of every color in the world..lol) and a white tee shirt.
:mrgreen:

Well for Rick... It entirely depends on how his day is going...
On a good day its a dress shirt and tie (BTW he hates it- he questions the idea of tieing a noose around ones neck before spending 16 hours with a bunch of people you hate :? )
on a somewhat bad day he wears his UPS browns...
and on a REALLY bad day he wears a suite & tie...
when I see him pull THOSE out of the closet I know to have a good strong drink ready for him when he gets home...
There are days that he will go thru all three... thats a REALLY bad day

***is there something wrong with spell check? I just clicked the button and it said no misspellings found... I really didnt think I spelled tieing right...
Im a really bad speller and spell check picks up alot of misspelled words from me... Just that it didnt find anything kinda freaks me out!****

I work for a dotcom (a profitable one at that!). The bosses are just glad we show up with clothes on! If you wear a shirt and tie to work, everyone thinks you have a job interview somewhere else that day!
Actually I only go into the office 2 or 3 days a week, most weeks just 2. The rest of the week I telecommute.
Regardless of location, I wear Jeans and a flannel shirt October-April, shorts and a tshirt May-September.
If I ever get a job where I have to "dress professionally," it will cost me a nice chunk of change for a whole new wardrobe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom