Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Who wears a shirt and tie to work?
Do wear a shirt and tie to work 10 32.26%
Don't wear a shirt and tie to work 21 67.74%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-10-2005, 09:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Shirts and ties

So I bought some new dress shirts and opened the first one today. A pet peeve of mine is the way shirts are packaged. It takes me longer to get the pins and such out of the shirt than dress. I always manage to miss a pin and end up pricking myself. Then the shirt comes out of the package so badly creased that it needs ironing

Just wondering how many of us guys wear a shirt and tie to work anymore. Gals, you can answer for your husbands, bfs, or dads.

Old 03-10-2005, 09:42 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Rick wears a dress shirt to work every day, usually not a tie unless he has a meeting, then its a tie and sportcoat.

He takes all his shirts and slacks to the nice Korean laundry down the street every week, so I do none of his work laundry! Woo hoo! Rick is not exactly the neatest fellow in the world, but when it comes to his work clothes he wants starch and creases every day.

Old 03-10-2005, 09:44 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I also take my new shirts to the laundry for pressing. I don't use starch though - and I don't like creases in the cuff.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 03-10-2005, 09:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to mitche8359
I'd wear ties to work if I wouldn't look out of place. Business casual means sweatshirts to the people around here.

55 gal fresh - planted 2wpg ~ Eheim eco filter ~ south american theme
java moss - misc anubia - amazon sword - Red rubin sword - tennellus chain swords
4 ottos, 1 pleco, 3 high fin white tetras, 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 1 high fin black tetra, 1 black tetra, 2 diamond tetras, 3 yoyos

Join the Ohio Regional Forum and share information with local enthusiasts
Vote for Aquarium Advice Today
Old 03-10-2005, 10:04 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Trevor wears button downs, but they are of the plaid variety. When we do need to get dress shirts, he also has a problem with all those stupid pins!

Old 03-10-2005, 10:17 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
*And I thought I was in the minority*

Some time ago, my firm decided that everyone could do "business casual" an ancronym for "Dockers and an open shirt..no tie needed". This policy is in place for every department except mine for apparently, my department will have "Enormous contact with outside clients and agencies". So, it's not only a shirt and tie...but a suit as well.

BrianNY - You should know why dress shirts are packed the way they are as it's been done this way for a millenia. Suffer you fools so that you know you are important!

*Please...as often stated...disregard this rant.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:27 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
One of the very few perks of being a research scientist is our dressed down look. Khakis, jeans, and open collar shirts are the norm among the senior research scientists where I work. I wear white socks and sneakers to work as a rule. The last time I wore a jacket and tie was at my job interview. They hang in my closet waiting for the next job interview, wedding, or funeral that I must attend.

BTW, what is the historical/cultural significance of the tie anyway? Why must dapper gents obsessively hide their shirt buttons with a strip of fabric? It seems kind of arachaic and silly to me - like powdered wigs! In the business world, you must conform by wearing conservatively styled, dark wool or cotton suits, dark socks, and dark shoes; BUT, you are allowed to display your wild and crazy personality through your choice of ties!
Old 03-10-2005, 10:38 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to mandi
Depends on the day -- most days my hubby wears a shirt/tie as on this duty he wears dress uniforms, the only exception being the days he has to wear dress blues or during the winter when he opts to wear the authorized blue sweater over his dress uniform which allows him to skip the tie and be warmer
Old 03-10-2005, 10:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ties are evil!!

Old 03-10-2005, 01:46 PM   #10
God of primitive fishes
Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
I have two jobs...freelance writer (which I can usually do in my own home office in my underwear, if I wish), and zoologist (in which, dealing with animals or doing fieldwork has me dressed as you might expect). However, I wear, day to day, almost exclusively, button-down long sleeve and golf shirts and trousers....it is an exceedingly rare thing to see me in a t-shirt or shorts. Occasionally, in my writing work, I do need to wear the 'suit & tie' to business meetings, and even less commonly, as a zoologist, I have been known to dress similarly for certain functions.

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Founder/Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta
Past-President, Calgary Aquarium Society
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com