Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-17-2013, 01:18 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
You done the right thing mate what would have happened if they sold you a sick fish and you lost everything in your tank. I would have done the same thing and I would be telling people what store as I would not shop there ever again.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:20 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion
I don't think there was a risk of them selling the sick fish, unless the dumpster is their super secret back stockroom for the VIP customers.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:27 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a feeling the reason they got shut down wasn't so much for the bacteria as the potential public health risk of 50+ dead fish rotting in the parking lot, I honestly would've done the same thing. Proper disposal of dead fish should not include any way in which they could end up strewn across the lot....dumpsters have lids for a reason.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:28 AM   #14
come get me tang police!

Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
Yea it wasn't my intentions. It kinda spiraled outta control after more and more different agencies arrived.

It did cross my mind.... "What did I get myself into"

It was too late though...

Lesson learned on my part. Maybe I shouldn't get so involved or should I?
Personally I think your best method of recourse would have been to talk to the owner about it, I'm sure they didn't intend to have dead fish laying everywhere.

As far as the sick/dead fish thing goes, surprisingly enough it happens every now and again especially with a store that imports or gets wild caught specimens in particular. So it's really not all that uncommon, just not often spoken of.
Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:35 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I really think things got outta hand. Is that shop shut down permanently, or temporarily?
Whenever I watch the News, no matter what network it is, i'm like:
Old 03-17-2013, 02:00 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Sad story! I hate it when stores don't take care of the fish. I was looking to buy some nice Julii Cory's for 4 dollers each but the tank had 8 out of the 12 dead, so not buying them!
Old 03-17-2013, 02:14 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm confused as to why animal control would have handled that situation. That's not their jurisdiction, tropical fish sales and such belong to the Department of Agriculture not animal control.
“Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my goodness.... I could be eating a slow learner!
-Lynda Montgomery
Old 03-17-2013, 02:25 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I look at this from a business owners POV.

I would personally meet with the people who own businesses that share the stinky alley way and ask them if they have a long history dealing with the fish store improperly disposing of dead fish. I would assume you will be able to discern from them if this is a ongoing issue or a simple case of a dud shipment and stray cats.

Heathcliff and his buddies may be to blame... Call animal control after all lol

(Protocol at a vet hospital in CA all pet remains are bagged with thick bags and frozen before weekly to daily pickup by a biohazard truck/crematorium delivery type service. )
Old 03-17-2013, 05:12 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
As you mentioned Convict ... One dead fish on the ground near an LFS you could understand. But as many as you saw just dumped by the back lot like that? That's inexcusable. That sounds like a safety / health hazard to me. Just the smell could've made people in the area sick.

Good call Convict ...
75g Planted Barbs Denison, BlackRuby, Tiger, Albino Tiger, Green Tiger, Cherry, Gold, Checkered, Odessa.
NonBarbs Cardinal, Neon, RummyNose, Bloodfin Tetras, Z. Danios. 1RTS. Amano, Bamboo, Ghost & RCS. 20g Long Shrimp Tank RCS, Tiger, Amano.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
Not shut down permanently, and animal control was called. I never said they took the scene or operated at the scene or even made a call at the and scene as I didn't call them, I called the local police dept and just stated what I observed. Yes I agree things may have gotten out of control. It is what it is now... With the wife in one ear about the odor and all these dead fish all over the place, ok the curb, near the dumpster and on the area around it it was either ignore it and tell her I don't even know what I would have said or...

Keep it simple and do what I feel was the right thing and make "someone" aware of the situation as in my opinion it was a situation that needed to be addressed. Yea... I could have walked in and spoke with the manager I guess, someone who's part time at some big LFS/LPS probably wouldn't have gotten me far unless pulling out my own badge and county I.D. which I didn't want to do although it will be in the report BUT I was not "acting under the capacity"

What the cops decided to do or call, health dept, animal control etc etc was not my call, nor do I know what any agencies did other then what I saw, which was a sigh on the door stating closed until further notice and I heard something to the effect of not selling any fish and having the filtration system check. I also did hear something about quarantine.

You can ask as many questions as you want. I'm sorry I don't have the answers as I didn't stick around for the duration. I took my family elsewhere...

Like I mentioned it is what it is... I slept fine last night and the wife was happy that something was done.

That's a double win in my book

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com