Shocking story. Pic included! Not pretty!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You did the right thing. Mostly due to the public health concern. Weather they disposed of them correctly and something else strew them around, or just poor practice on their part doesn't matter. I'm sure someone mentioned to them about the odor, or an employee noticed it. The fact it wasn't cleaned up is the problem. So once again, ou did the right thing, and the fact you slept good last night proves it.

I don't think it's a matter of right or wrong thing, it's good to act, either way. My only gripe is that you went in and called the cavalry before even attempting to anyone about the situation. Seems like our country is getting more and more disconnected on a personal level and people can be quick to pull the trigger on notifying authorities. And if you mentioned your own connection in fire and rescue that may have even exasperated things even more, I know it does here when someone on the council or a LEO files a report about anything.

Health hazard? Maybe, in the same way it's a health hazard if a trash bag by a dumpster behind a fish market or restaurant gets ripped open and spread around. I know that us fishkeepers are especially sensitive to what happens to fish, but as far as the laws are concerned they are not on the same level as warm blooded pets like dogs and cats, and don't have all of the same disposal requirements.

I just personally know if this happened at my business I'd be upset that the people didn't come to me first if something like this happened in my parking lot. But I do understand that they have every right to, and don't blame them for it, it's just not how I was taught to handle things growing up.

Then again the owner/workers could've looked at you and shrugged, and at that point I think it would've been fair game. But this is just my opinion and the way I handle things. This is also armchair quarterbacking so being in the situation and analyzing it are two totally different things.

I do wonder what eventually happened to them, you should call and get an update from someone at the store just to see.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a matter of right or wrong thing, it's good to act, either way. My only gripe is that you went in and called the cavalry before even attempting to anyone about the situation. Seems like our country is getting more and more disconnected on a personal level and people can be quick to pull the trigger on notifying authorities. And if you mentioned your own connection in fire and rescue that may have even exasperated things even more, I know it does here when someone on the council or a LEO files a report about anything.

Health hazard? Maybe, in the same way it's a health hazard if a trash bag by a dumpster behind a fish market or restaurant gets ripped open and spread around. I know that us fishkeepers are especially sensitive to what happens to fish, but as far as the laws are concerned they are not on the same level as warm blooded pets like dogs and cats, and don't have all of the same disposal requirements.

I just personally know if this happened at my business I'd be upset that the people didn't come to me first if something like this happened in my parking lot. But I do understand that they have every right to, and don't blame them for it, it's just not how I was taught to handle things growing up.

Then again the owner/workers could've looked at you and shrugged, and at that point I think it would've been fair game. But this is just my opinion and the way I handle things. This is also armchair quarterbacking so being in the situation and analyzing it are two totally different things.

I do wonder what eventually happened to them, you should call and get an update from someone at the store just to see.

I understand what your saying and like I said before I did feel like whoa!! When all these agencies started showing up. Some were taking pictures etc.

I'm gonna go there this week and see what the deal is. Maybe even let them know it was me and explain the issues and see if that helps. I really didn't mean for it blow up but like I also said. It is what it is now... Can't change it. Maybe lesson for both sides :)

Either way, I feel good about what I did. Just didn't expect all those different agencies to show up.

But I stood tall and expressed my concerns. Didn't help that I'm with the county hazardous materials and special ops team among other things. I kinda feel because of that they went above and beyond.

Well... I'll post back when I find out what happened.

BTW Jeta.... I also respect your opinions and its always nice to read your posts and see things from a different perspective. But you said it yourself. It might have been different if you were there, or maybe not :)

Either way your very well respected on my end.

Last edited:
Update.

Went there today and spoke with the manager, well tried to anyway.He was arrogant, uneducated, disrespectful and couldn't have been older then 28-30(not that it matters) just giving you the whole story.

I went in and tried to explain to him. I told him that my wife was concerned and others outside as well as myself and I made the call. He really didn't want to talk, more like I was bothering him. Understandable to a degree, you can be mad that's fine. Anyway....

Didn't get far and really didn't get any answers as to what happened after I left.

Only thing I did see was yellow marker writing on all the tanks, it said "fish not for sale, system under observation"

Well... That's it. Store is open, people are shopping.

Thumbs up . 1 ok 2,3 but not dozens , simple neglect

I would've done the same thing you did convict. Things play out the way they do for a reason.

Heh.. I always wondered who to call when it comes to fish being uncared for or mistreated.. Lol I work in nyc and I see cops arrest people with dogs and they would call animal control. I always wondered what would happen if it was a fish... Lol

I know how the LFS guy I know would have reacted, he would have explained what happened to EVERY customer that asked, and took time with them to assure them. Maybe he did have a bum shipment and he did dispose of them in the trash and animals DID scatter them. But, if you want your customers to be assured and returning...it is wise to at least give your side of the tale. I mean most good Shop owners would have shown a level of concern in the matter, Our local guy may have even thanked you, especially if he had previous animal/trash problem. May have evn worked to his good in some way....I am sorry that fellow seems to have got what he deserved.....just my .02

I too would have called. Having all those beautiful fish die was unnecessary. The LFS employees have everything they would ever need to treat fish at the disposal. I understand that you can loose some fish from a shipment due to unhealthy stock, stress, etc. But instead they lost all the fish and disposed of them. What a shame.

Convict, I completely agree with what you did. I do also agree that all those other agencies showing up was not needed. But I know that is was not your fault, not at all.
I think you did the right thing, but I think the manager handled things very poorly also.

If a customer caused such a fiasco at my store I probably wouldn't want to give him the time of day either. Karma works both ways :)

Nice thing about capitalism is, we get to choose where we spend our money. Good business = success.
Bad business = failure. Simple!

I could see this going down
CSI the whole nine yards lol
this crazy world sure can put things way out of proportion sometimes
I'm sure the store disposed of the fish in a dumpster properly birds or cats got in and caused the crime scene spew them all over
but yes I'm sure it was a horrible sight especially for the little ones

I've seen similar things happen in and out of a pet store. Convict, you did the right thing IMO. Someone else may have noticed and told store personnel but it didnt get cleaned up. Anything is possible. We have a store that leaves their dead fish in a trash can in the fish section until the can is full. People get sick from the smell and management will not remove it. Whatever the situation was at the store before you arrived is unknown.

Well, glad things seem ok there now.
Not gonna lie, if I owned that store and somebody came in and told me they made the call, I might get arrested for making a public scene while expressing my anger. In this case, his brushing you off may literally have been the nicest thing he felt that he could do.
Considering all the people who responded, I think you can confidently say that if the store was genuinely having a horrible issue and causing unnecessary health risks, they would have suffered greater consequences.

However the conversation went I'm sure it was probably funny but on my end it wasn't too funny. Especially since I know all the local authorities.

And then this just occurred to me... How do we know that this wasn't brought to anyone's attention? Given the time if day(late afternoon) you would think someone else had to of seen/smelled this...

Maybe no one cared? Maybe society just looks at things different? Maybe it was addresses and wasn't taken care of? We can ask a lot of questions and probably will never know.

All we do know is one person cares enough to make a difference. One person cared enough to make things better. As small as it may seem, someone acted instead of just passing by and ignoring it.

That one person was ME! I sleep well at night, we can "quarterback" this all we want bottom line again is...

It is what it is...

Oh btw... If this sounds like I'm angry I'm not lol. I just re read it and can see how it may sound it but its all good :)

I'm comfortable with my decision...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom